Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Shooting 75% as a team from the line would rank 41st in the country.  69% is the average over for all teams over the last 60 years.  70.4% would put you right in the middle of the pack this season.

Since the 1988-89 season, the Bills have averaged 68.4% from the line.  Nice, we are average.  High season was Spoon's first team at 72.7%, and low - will be - this season.  Previous low was Majerus' 09-10 team at 61.9%.  We are witnessing a recent day record in futility. 

What is perplexing to me is that our current road FT split of 64% this season is superior to our home FT split of 55%

Pistol and brianstl like this

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Since the 1988-89 season, the Bills have averaged 68.4% from the line.  Nice, we are average.  High season was Spoon's first team at 72.7%, and low - will be - this season.  Previous low was Majerus' 09-10 team at 61.9%.  We are witnessing a recent day record in futility. 

What is perplexing to me is that our current road FT split of 64% this season is superior to our home FT split of 55%

I think we need a rim-job.....

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The home and away split is amazing.

Everybody has been focusing on FT%...and rightfully so...as theses %s are near record lows.  However in terms of game outcome it has probably had little effect. Let me propose an oxymoron....Bills win games on FTs....I know this is a shocker.  What this means is the Bills have won more games than they have lost by FTs.  Again , this doesn't quite sound right....but here is what's happening....

We take more shots (FTA) than most teams (A)....We make more shots  than most teams  ( FTM... B- )....Even shooting just 60% we make an average of about 1 extra FT / gm. Yes there is that loss in the final second at the FT line which was painful...but we have won more games than we have lost....ie  the FTM was larger  than the margin of victory or made up most of the margin of victory.   An argument could be made that if we were a better shooting team , we would have less shots.

Bottom line...Our FT shooting is horrible...but has probably not hurt us much on game outcome.  Much more damaging has been 2 and 3 pt shooting.Of course , you never want to miss throws that are free ....but we need help all across the slash.

From what I have seen coming next year, it looks like help is on the way

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Everybody has been focusing on FT%...and rightfully so...as theses %s are near record lows.  However in terms of game outcome it has probably had little effect. Let me propose an oxymoron....Bills win games on FTs....I know this is a shocker.  What this means is the Bills have won more games than they have lost by FTs.  Again , this doesn't quite sound right....but here is what's happening....

We take more shots (FTA) than most teams (A)....We make more shots  than most teams  ( FTM... B- )....Even shooting just 60% we make an average of about 1 extra FT / gm. Yes there is that loss in the final second at the FT line which was painful...but we have won more games than we have lost....ie  the FTM was larger  than the margin of victory or made up most of the margin of victory.   An argument could be made that if we were a better shooting team , we would have less shots.

Bottom line...Our FT shooting is horrible...but has probably not hurt us much on game outcome.  Much more damaging has been 2 and 3 pt shooting.Of course , you never want to miss throws that are free ....but we need help all across the slash.

-are you saying teams would not foul us as much if we made more ft's?

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-are you saying teams would not foul us as much if we made more ft's?

That's what I am saying.... Opponents read stat sheets and see we are 2nd worst in the nation... Opposing coach will say...Guard them close... Don't be afraid to foul... 

AGB91 and willie like this

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

Shooting 75% as a team from the line would rank 41st in the country.  69% is the average for all teams over the last 60 years.  70.4% would put you right in the middle of the pack this season.

I am sorry I thought he was talking about a single player not a team.  Fora team I agree with you. 

16 hours ago, The Wiz said:

While on paper, what you say makes sense (and I have no doubt the math supports your statements), does this analysis take into account the missed front end on 1and1s? And then you have the intangible momentum factor that missed FTs can curtail.

off the top of my head, I think the outcomes in Pitt, SIU and Davidson would have been different had we been better at the line. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

While on paper, what you say makes sense (and I have no doubt the math supports your statements), does this analysis take into account the missed front end on 1and1s? And then you have the intangible momentum factor that missed FTs can curtail.

off the top of my head, I think the outcomes in Pitt, SIU and Davidson would have been different had we been better at the line. 

No question , there are intangibles.   In a lost game , where you could have been closer  , you might have been able to turn the game around.  And 1 and 1s are lost opportunities. I guess , I would answer that we get more chances at 1 and 1s than most teams.  The key stat in FTs for the Bills this year is ....we take and make more FTs than most teams which makes the FT % less important...not unimportant...just less important.   In the end , there are some things you can't measure.  But my point was that for the things we can measure, it hasn't made much of a difference overall in game outcome.

moytoy12 likes this

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

No question , there are intangibles.   In a lost game , where you could have been closer  , you might have been able to turn the game around.  And 1 and 1s are lost opportunities. I guess , I would answer that we get more chances at 1 and 1s than most teams.  The key stat in FTs for the Bills this year is ....we take and make more FTs than most teams which makes the FT % less important...not unimportant...just less important.   In the end , there are some things you can't measure.  But my point was that for the things we can measure, it hasn't made much of a difference overall in game outcome.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I would argue the opposite.  If we're going to the line more than other teams, it makes hitting them at a higher % even more important.  For example, it seems to me that a team that shoots a lot of 3s, but makes them at a below-average rate, is not setting themselves up for offensive success. 

Ultimately, how and where teams get their points is far less important than how efficient they are when they do it.  

18 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Not to dispute the Wiz and his stats, but two games come to mind where last second made FTs would have made a significant difference this season. 

1 minute ago, SShoe said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I would argue the opposite.  If we're going to the line more than other teams, it makes hitting them at a higher % even more important.  For example, it seems to me that a team that shoots a lot of 3s, but makes them at a below-average rate, is not setting themselves up for offensive success. 

Ultimately, how and where teams get their points is far less important than how efficient they are when they do it.  

Im with you, maybe im not understanding it right. 

I am just talking about raw data....nothing efficient about the Bills data. Similar to regular shooting stats ....where we are in the F range on FG% and 3P%  but we are able to make up for some of that with offensive rebs....currently  we are 6th in the nation in Off rebs....this is good news bad news....Good news is we are a great rebounding team ....bad news is we get a lot of offensive reb chances because we can't shoot.  Bottom line is we are not efficient in any kind of shooting...FG%, 2P%,  3P% , FT%...but we make up for it with volume.....Like the old TV commercial.....How can our prices be so low?...How can we make a profit?...we do it with volume.

billikenbill likes this

I think this has also been posted elsewhere, but just to summarize:

Hargrove had 19 points (7-14, 1-6, 4-6), 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover, and 4 blocks in a 61-60 loss at Collinsville. ESL (23-6) starts their playoff run tomorrow at Breese Central; they're the top seed in the 3A Mascoutah Sectional. They're waiting on their opponent; I'm pretty sure they'll get the Civic Memorial-Roxana winner.

Collins had 32 points (10-18, 1-3, 11-13), 12 rebounds, 12 assists, 5 steals, and 4 turnovers in a 79-70 win at Quincy Notre Dame. Again, this was recapped in a recruiting thread but that line is eye-popping. He has a knack for controlling a game even when he's not putting up huge numbers, so this is just next-level domination. St. Mary's is a deceptive 13-12 but is the top seed and host team in a weak district (Class 4, District 4). They'll face Miller Career Academy tonight. Gateway and Confluence will play after that; neither are particularly strong, as Confluence is way down after graduating a big-time class last year.

Montverde CBD was on a 4-game winning streak heading into this weekend but I don't have any results for them or Jimerson yet. Let's just say he hit a bunch of threes.

SWIC has lost two in a row but hasn't posted stats yet so I don't have Perkins' lines from Kaskaskia or Vincennes. I'll update this post when I do. He seemed to be regaining form heading into these games. SWIC finishes the season against Rend Lake tomorrow and Lake Land on 3/1. They're in a tough conference so it'll be a challenge to go anywhere in the playoffs this season.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

SWIC has lost two in a row but hasn't posted stats yet so I don't have Perkins' lines from Kaskaskia or Vincennes. I'll update this post when I do. He seemed to be regaining form heading into these games. SWIC finishes the season against Rend Lake tomorrow and Lake Land on 3/1. They're in a tough conference so it'll be a challenge to go anywhere in the playoffs this season.

Perkins' lines:

Kaskaskia: 24 points (9-25, 1-3, 5-7), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover.

Vincennes: 37 points (12-25, 3-10, 10-12), 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 turnovers.

Kaskaskia was a narrow loss but Vincennes blew them out by 20.