Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

going to college for the right reasons.  gotta like that. 

Our biggest donor is a big time Chess guy. Wonder if that helped in Jimmerson's picking SLU. Sounds like he could have had his pick of Ivies, some P5s like Vandy, NWestern, Stanford. I am excited about this kid. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/7/2019 at 8:19 AM, BIG BILL FAN said:

Javonte Perkins is back from an injury, had 23 points last night.

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/div1/boxscores/20190206_rrjl.xml?view=boxscore

Perkins grade slash  for the season looks like this....A+/ A+ / D / A+....These are full sample size numbers ...so the grades are legitimate if the data is correct....actual numbers are....55.8/ 62.5 / 33.8/ 79.7......The D grade is 3P shooting and even that is a big improvement on an F-  3 P shooting team...3P shooting comprises only 14% of his total shots....... His overall grade ....A.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

• Jimerson has a cumulative GPA of 4.32 (Summa Laude) and is in the top percentile of the postgraduate class.
  • His coach calls him efficient and consistent and says he hates taking him out, even when he needs a break.
  • His mom ran track at Oregon.
  • He says his hobbies are reading and chess.
  • He came to Montverde for a challenging transitional year between HS and college.
  • He enjoys math and chemistry so he thinks he'll major in something in the engineering or medical fields. "Either way, I know that St. Louis University is the right college for me."

But what's his basketball IQ?

16 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Perkins grade slash  for the season looks like this....A+/ A+ / D / A+....These are full sample size numbers ...so the grades are legitimate if the data is correct....actual numbers are....55.8/ 62.5 / 33.8/ 79.7......The D grade is 3P shooting and even that is a big improvement on an F-  3 P shooting team...3P shooting comprises only 14% of his total shots....... His overall grade ....A.

Even with Jimmerson coming in, we will STILL need to add some more reliable 3-point threats.

18 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

interesting, I was under the impression that he was a good 3 point shooter, darn.

20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Maybe i'm just used to our poor shooting from 3s, but 34% seems to be better than a D.  Can you break down what the 3 pt % is for each letter grade?

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

Maybe i'm just used to our poor shooting from 3s, but 34% seems to be better than a D.  Can you break down what the 3 pt % is for each letter grade?

My numbers and grades are a little bit higher than you  might normally see for college basketball....Average shooting for ALL college bball is probably 33-34%.. If you just use those players with a decent sample size (25  3PM) you exclude a lot of players and shots....And because 3P shooting is a more defined skill...those that make the cut tend to be better players...thus pushing shots made and GPA higher.... While Perkins has enough for a gradeable sample size among all regular shooters his numbers are still on smaller size of the sample. ...and subject to change easier..

Roughly,.for his data set, every 2 3P shots he makes without a miss can move him up a grade...ie he makes his next  two 3s and his is a C...he makes his next 4  he is a B.

To be an average 3P player on my system today....you need to shoot 35.6% (C )

moytoy12 and billikenbill like this

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Perkins shot 40% from 3 as a freshman.  And his 2 pt shooting is remarkable, with many of those being mid-range jump shots. 

His 2P shooting is remarkable. If he can make those numbers here, he will  be a top 100 2P player.

42 minutes ago, ACE said:

Even with Jimmerson coming in, we will STILL need to add some more reliable 3-point threats.

Jimmerson numbers this year are not a big enough sample size to grade....However using last years numbers (over 40% ) he is easily an A+...In addition,  as I pointed out above Perkins can still finish this year with a good 3 pt grade.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

According to your system, Wiz, Kelan Grady and Jon Axel Gudmunsson are D perimeter shooters.  Too bad there is no easy way to measure good mid-range shooters.

Speaking of mid range shooters I went to the women's game yesterday, As I was walking in I looked in the practice gym and there was Jordan shooting mid range shot after shot. Cool machine that feeds him passes. The kid was working all by himself. Impressive. 

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

According to your system, Wiz, Kelan Grady and Jon Axel Gudmunsson are D perimeter shooters.  Too bad there is no easy way to measure good mid-range shooters.

Yes on both accounts....

Yes...Grady and Gud are slightly below ave among regular 3P shooters

Yes ....there is no way to breakdown 2 P shooting....ie..stats for different 2 P ranges

8 minutes ago, willie said:

Speaking of mid range shooters I went to the women's game yesterday, As I was walking in I looked in the practice gym and there was Jordan shooting mid range shot after shot. Cool machine that feeds him passes. The kid was working all by himself. Impressive. 

that is extremely commendable.   however that said, if the mechanics arent right, those reps might be more detrimental than helpful.   i know i had heard earlier that bess had a lot of refinements to his mechanics and then went to work on the practice.    and we all know the legendary story of liddell totally retooling his shot and he went from about 18% to well over 30% his sophomore season.  

i cringe when i watch french shoot free throws.   never the same rotation or arch.  he might change his angle he stands on the line, etc.   yet we hear he shoots a lot of free throws in practice.   like i said, got to get the mechanics down first and practice that before it will take.  

-KenPom lists the top 100 individual 3pt shooters, to qualify need to play a minimum of 40% of minutes and at least 2 attempts per game, #1 makes 54.7% (35/64) and #100 makes 43.6% (34/78), I counted 18 frosh among the top 100 - for us JBess is 35.9% (51/142)

-on a team basis, the top team is Lehigh at 44.7%, the team ranking split into fifths for a,b.c,d,f grades has #71 is Western Carolina at 36.7%, #142 is Illinois St at 34.9%, #213 is GA Southern at 33.5%, #284 is The Citadel at 32.0%, #330 is Saint Louis at 29.8%  and #353 is Jackson St at 25.8% 

-on a 100 shot basis the difference in made shots between #71 (bottom of A) and #284 (bottom of D) is 5

-teams of note, at least to me, in the bottom fifth are Duke, Duq, DePaul, Rutgers, West VA, Penn St, TX A&M, Minn, Bonnie, and those below us are Wake, GA Tech, VCU, and #352 Rhodey

On 2/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, billiken_roy said:

and we all know the legendary story of liddell totally retooling his shot and he went from about 18% to well over 30% his sophomore season.  

This might be the 1st time in the history of the board that Roy has understated the accomplishments of a player from the East side.  Tommie actually shot 9.5% (2 of 21) from 3pt his freshman year.  Very small sample so you can't say for sure that was actually representative of his true skill level, but he clearly was not a shooter.  He then shot 45.4% (49 of 108) form 3pt his sophmore year.  The "legendary" year over year increase was better than you remembered, Roy!

Tommie shot 34.9% and 35.4% his junior and senior years respectively.  Perhaps the he regressed a little from the rebuild, but other factors (new coach, no inside presence / Vouyoukas, etc.) likely played a role as well.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, Cowboy said:

-I did wonder about that with only 11 fouls in the box score 

Listened to the second half of the Soutgwestern IL game vs No. 8 ranked John A Logan, which SW lost by 10 or so.

Perkins has some buckets but at no point on the broadcast did they share any individual stats ... frustrating.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, kmbilliken said:

Another good night for Hargrove last night. He got 23 points and 12 rebounds against OFallon.

Full line: 23 points (9-15, 2-5, 3-6), 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 3 turnovers. ESL closes the regular season at Collinsville on Friday.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:47 PM, VeniceMenace said:

Javonte Perkins with 35 points today vs the 8th ranked John A Logan.

Nice to see Perkins back in form after his injury. 35 points (10-22, 6-9, 7-10), 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 4 turnovers. SWIC hosts Kaskasia tomorrow night.

Yuri Collins had 17 points (6-9, 1-4, 4-5), 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 steals, and 4 turnovers in a 65-58 win over St. Dominic. Southside Catholic heads to Quincy Notre Dame this Friday.

No Jimerson news from the weekend, so I'll just assume he hit a dozen 3-pointers.

14 hours ago, Pistol said:

Full line: 23 points (9-15, 2-5, 3-6), 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 3 turnovers. ESL closes the regular season at Collinsville on Friday.

Nice to see Perkins back in form after his injury. 35 points (10-22, 6-9, 7-10), 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 4 turnovers. SWIC hosts Kaskasia tomorrow night.

Yuri Collins had 17 points (6-9, 1-4, 4-5), 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 steals, and 4 turnovers in a 65-58 win over St. Dominic. Southside Catholic heads to Quincy Notre Dame this Friday.

No Jimerson news from the weekend, so I'll just assume he hit a dozen 3-pointers.

I like a combined 11 for 15 from the free throw line.

49 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Nothing to write home about.  About 75% or so - we should expect something like this. We have become desensitized due to our bad % the past years. 

Shooting 75% as a team from the line would rank 41st in the country.  69% is the average for all teams over the last 60 years.  70.4% would put you right in the middle of the pack this season.