Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

Javonte Perkins has not played in SWIC's last 3 games. It must be an injury but I haven't been able to confirm any details yet. There just isn't much written about juco basketball.

Jimerson was solid at the ARG Hoopfest in Tampa. He had 18 in a loss to IMG, but I can't confirm any other point totals.

Here's what's next for Jimerson's squad:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Good point guards tend to go off against Chaminade. That has been a position of weakness for an otherwise strong program for quite some time now, even during (and before) the Tatum era. If they were going to lose to another good PG, I guess I'm glad it's Collins. His full line: 34 points (10-18, 3-4, 11-15), 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 6 steals, 3 turnovers.

Did Luke Kasubke get hurt or something? Box score shows 2 points for him, and he came in averaging over 23 PPG. I can't find any confirmation.

Kasubke may have gotten 7 shot attempts all night.  St Mary's quick guards did a great job of denying him the ball.  When he got the ball, two guards would descend, force him to give the ball up or flick it away for a steal.  Yuri picked his pocket a couple of times.   The plan was clearly to make another Chaminade player beat them.  It worked.

Pistol likes this

Not expecting Yuri to be a Kwamain type scorer at D1 level, but 34 Pts ain't nothing to sneeze at. Also, if he works on his 3 shot over the summer, he'll become a much more effective PG. 

My way to early starting line up for next year is:

JGood

Thatch

Perkins

Hargrove

French

subject to change for lots of reasons. But JGood, Fred, and French are likely stone cold locks. Ford values good D over Offense, so Fred will beat out his competition. Not a lot of FR ready to play D at D1 level. 

30 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Javonte Perkins has not played in SWIC's last 3 games. It must be an injury but I haven't been able to confirm any details yet. There just isn't much written about juco basketball.

Jimerson was solid at the ARG Hoopfest in Tampa. He had 18 in a loss to IMG, but I can't confirm any other point totals.

Here's what's next for Jimerson's squad:

Maybe Coach can fill us in with what is up with Perkins?

Hargrove has huge upside but I don't think you want to start him at the 4 right now.  For a 6'7 player, he's a low percentage scorer in the paint in high school.  And his perimeter shot isn't consistent enough right now to be a stretch 4.  How is he supposed to score in the half court in the A-10?  

Bring him off the bench as an energy guy as a freshman, add 15 lbs to his frame in the summer and he will be the 4 you're looking for.

brianstl likes this

55 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hargrove has huge upside but I don't think you want to start him at the 4 right now.  For a 6'7 player, he's a low percentage scorer in the paint in high school.  And his perimeter shot isn't consistent enough right now to be a stretch 4.  How is he supposed to score in the half court in the A-10?  

Bring him off the bench as an energy guy as a freshman, add 15 lbs to his frame in the summer and he will be the 4 you're looking for.

ive been watching hargrove for 3 years now and i reluctantly agree with 3 star.   if hargrove is going to start from day one, it has to be as a wing and perkins is going to be the 4.   either that or we have to change what ford likes to do.  that said, i am really excited about jimmerson as well but know that thatch will get (and deservedly so) first crack at the wing spot.   

and we still arent even considering the unknown of 4 yet to be named scholarships.   we will have some options next year that is for sure.  

It really comes down to whether the team is better off wiith 1) Hargrove logging a bunch of minutes at the 3 and starting Goodwin at the point or  2) Yuri starting at point guard and Goodwin starting at point forward.  Thatch/Jimerson will hold it down at shooting guard.

You know where I stand.  Yuri isn't going to score much, but he's going to make everyone else better in the halfcourt, he'll run the break effectively and he'll be a pest on defense.  Hargrove will have some highlight reel moments but he's not an efficient 3 or 4 right now, IMO.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It really comes down to whether the team is better off wiith 1) Hargrove logging a bunch of minutes at the 3 and starting Goodwin at the point or  2) Yuri starting at point guard and Goodwin starting at point forward.  Thatch/Jimerson will hold it down at shooting guard.

You know where I stand.  Yuri isn't going to score much, but he's going to make everyone else better in the halfcourt, he'll run the break effectively and he'll be a pesk on defense.  Hargrove will have some highlight reel moments but he's not an efficient 3 or 4 right now, IMO.

The way things have been going - if a freshman does not get playing time right away then everybody predicts he will leave.  At some point, players have to figure out that the rules of the game will not let you play 10 at the same time.  (I am not disagreeing with you comments - I am just a bit tired of hearing how this guy and that guy is unhappy because the coach is not stroking him all the time, or that he is not playing and doesn't seem to understand that you earn your time in practice, or that unless you are 100% healthy you don't want to dress - RM is turning in his grave!)

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ive been watching hargrove for 3 years now and i reluctantly agree with 3 star.   if hargrove is going to start from day one, it has to be as a wing and perkins is going to be the 4.   either that or we have to change what ford likes to do.  that said, i am really excited about jimmerson as well but know that thatch will get (and deservedly so) first crack at the wing spot.   

and we still arent even considering the unknown of 4 yet to be named scholarships.   we will have some options next year that is for sure.  

Until we don't. 😃

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You know where I stand.  Yuri isn't going to score much, but he's going to make everyone else better in the halfcourt, he'll run the break effectively and he'll be a pesk on defense.  Hargrove will have some highlight reel moments but he's not an efficient 3 or 4 right now, IMO.

you might need to come across the river and actually watch hargrove.   except for ej liddell, who is the best player in the midwest, he is the best player in the metro area right now and all of his minutes are coming from playing that 3 or 4.  (btw, they match up this friday night unless liddell is still in the boot from a badly sprained ankle.   liddell did not dress last night's game for belleville west)

i am very hopeful of collins being good, but after watching him last year, i came away with the "great high school player will he be big enough to play at the billiken level of competition" question.   add the fact he is even a worse shooter than goodwin i am not as hopeful for an immediate impact beyond backup point guard for next year.  

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you might need to come across the river and actually watch hargrove.   except for ej liddell, who is the best player in the midwest, he is the best player in the metro area right now and all of his minutes are coming from playing that 3 or 4.  (btw, they match up this friday night unless liddell is still in the boot from a badly sprained ankle.   liddell did not dress last night's game for belleville west)

i am very hopeful of collins being good, but after watching him last year, i came away with the "great high school player will he be big enough to play at the billiken level of competition" question.   add the fact he is even a worse shooter than goodwin i am not as hopeful for an immediate impact beyond backup point guard for next year.  

I'm high on Hargrove's long-term potential, too, and love what he and ESL are doing this season, but 3star makes a good point about his efficiency. He's making 50.5% of his field goal attempts from inside the arc, and he's currently 19-78 (24.4%) from 3. Even if he's the focal point of opposing defenses, he should be a more effective scorer inside. He's not going to be an answer on offense for this team next season. He'll be fine in due time.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I've seen all the top players play multiple times. The 2nd best player in the metro area is Caleb Love.

Hargrove is a raw talent who will be a stud at SLU. I just think it will take more time than most people expect. He should be scoring more easily in high school than he does now.

And the #1 is?

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

my guess is liddell, although one could make the case for Fletcher

It has to be Liddell. I would agree that right now Love is the second best player. That said, Fletcher probably has the highest ceiling out of the guys mentioned.

39 minutes ago, almaman said:

And the #1 is?

liddell is amazing to watch, especially defending the rim and rebounding.   he has also become a very good passer when doubled finding the open guy.  liddell is undoubtedly the best in the area this year.   he isnt tatum or going back a few years the incredible athlete that was darius miles or even larry hughes, but he is pretty darn good.   shame he is hurt right now as i wouldnt doubt if hargrove gets the best of him friday if still hobbled.   the game last week vs springfield was his best ever as he did it all.  man he would have looked good in blue.  

16 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

i can’t think of a recruit that’s been more public with his excitement to be a Bill than Hargrove 

Either have I.  I love it!  When I saw the first interview with Frank after he committed I thought a lot of it had to due with his mom's health but man he really can't wait to be a Billiken.  

Old guy likes this

Ford has taken some questions and criticism here and with the media about his character judgment because of the attrition we've seen in the program in his three seasons. From what I can tell, there should be absolutely no off-court conerns about the incoming guys. Hargrove is about as high-character a recruit as I've ever seen - again, from what we can all see publicly. Collins is super low key but I like his approach, too. Jimerson seems solid. I guess Perkins may have had some academic challenges coming out of HS but he's a full qualifier for next season and everything I've seen and read is that he's a tireless worker who's in the gym all day. Put these guys alongside Thatch (Shaft was the valedictorian!), Goodwin, and French and this is a really easy group of guys to root for.

Chemistry was one of my concerns coming into this season and we've seen some ups and downs. The returners and newcomers next season, though, look about as strong as any group I've ever seen at SLU in terms of their public positivity. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the last few scholarships but I hope and expect that whoever else will be coming to SLU will have to 100% buy in to Team Blue.

Zink likes this