Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

22 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I have heard this too from talking heads and others, and have no reason to disagree with them.  However, it would seem to me that having 11 teams would be a scheduling nightmare.  It works out nicely for having 20 round robin conference games, but not for who plays who when.  Think about it.  Let's say you have five of your conference's teams play another five of your conference's teams on a Saturday night.  You've got one team each weekend that's idle.  When can that team play again without their game being too close to the games played on Saturday.  They'd have to have a game at the latest on Thursday or at the earliest Monday (who wants a game on a Monday night) or Tuesday.  This will happen all season.  You will have one team each week that is not allowed to play at the best time to get fans to the game, the weekend.

I'm sure they'll work around it.  Maybe tell teams to schedule a non-conference game during the conference season, if that's possible, during their "bye" weekend.  It's just a consideration for them when figuring all this out.

The Big Ten has moved to a 20-game season this year. The ACC is doing it next season.

From what I can tell, they're playing games 5-6 nights a week, with only a Monday and/or Friday off. Most nights will have 2 games, sometimes just 1, and Saturdays will have 3-4 games  (never more than 5). Basically, they're spreading the schedule across the week and moving away from a typical Wednesday-Saturday structure.

The Big Ten has 14 teams and the ACC 15, so it's a little different than what you could do with 11. But the point is that it's already being done, it's going to multiple conferences soon, and you can bet that other conferences are watching closely to see how it plays out in March.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

OK  Cheeseman, it is Big East, my bad. Second agree a lot of people did NOT like Biondi and have posted exactly this fact before. Third none of this negates the fact that neither you nor anyone else will understand all the factors, both positive and negative, that went into the selection  of Creighton and the elimination of SLU. I know you think otherwise, but so what?

Someone asked and I answered with the info I had.  What you think is of no concern to me.

1 hour ago, Basketbill said:

Additionally,  Crews did not have anything to do with it.  The decision was announced that X, Butler and Creighton were in prior to the 2013-2014 season.  

I wonder if RM had lived if the view of us may have been different.  While we were coming off of a 3 year NCAA run the issue may have been the Crews had no real credibility as far as being a winning coach.  Would you have been willing to bet that he would be able to continue this success? - I didn't.

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Someone asked and I answered with the info I had.  What you think is of no concern to me.

So, you agree that at least in some ways our thoughts are exactly the same. What you think is of no concern to me, we mirror one another in many ways.

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

It'As for Creighton getting in ahead of us I think the Pres of CU was or is on the board of Trustees at MU, and he'd been working it as an insider. That went a long way to being admitted to the Old Boys Club, and, as someone pointed out, Biondi was viewed as an arrogant know it all whom the other schools couldn't tolerate. Crews didn't help matters, although, I think we were in our third in a row dance when it all came down. CU also fills their big arena for just about every game. They had a lot going for them and still do.

This to me was probably a major factor. College sports has the Omaha market cornered with no pro sports teams which shows with attendance numbers and tv ratings. Creighton also had major upgrades in their facilities during the 2000s. Fr Lannon who was pres at the time I think was previously at Marquette as a dean of something. Greg McDermott is also fairly well liked and way more charismatic than JC was. Lastly and probably most importantly, Rasmussen has been the AD since the 90s and is a big player when it comes to basketball. He was the chair of the selection committee last year.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I wonder if RM had lived if the view of us may have been different.  While we were coming off of a 3 year NCAA run the issue may have been the Crews had no real credibility as far as being a winning coach.  Would you have been willing to bet that he would be able to continue this success? - I didn't.

I would wonder if they knew how sick he was?  Wonder if it was part of the due diligence, kicking the tires etc....they opted for Creighton, whose coach was healthy and had a son who was a star. The decision was made July, prior to the announcement that RM  could not coach, and was awaiting a transplant.

17 hours ago, BourbanStreet said:

This to me was probably a major factor. College sports has the Omaha market cornered with no pro sports teams which shows with attendance numbers and tv ratings. Creighton also had major upgrades in their facilities during the 2000s. Fr Lannon who was pres at the time I think was previously at Marquette as a dean of something. Greg McDermott is also fairly well liked and way more charismatic than JC was. Lastly and probably most importantly, Rasmussen has been the AD since the 90s and is a big player when it comes to basketball. He was the chair of the selection committee last year.

Not only do they draw well, they travel well.  Certainly helpful for the conference tournament.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:01 PM, BourbanStreet said:

Many of these people know or knew one another well.  Tim Lannon replaced Fr. John Schlegel as President of Creighton.  Both had very popular personalities. Schlegel was a Saint Louis University grad (Oxford PHD) and among his stops was Dean of Arts and Sciences at Marquette U. After retirement, Schlegel lived in Milwaukee, at Marquette and was Pastor of their University Church before a sudden cancer diagnosis and death a few years ago. 

Tim Lannon started out at Marquette University High School teaching, assistant principal, etc before his various college stops which included being a VP of Advancement at Marquette U.  

Creighton dominated the Valley for a while.  They have had top 25 annual attendance or better the past few decades.  And they have had sustained success under multiple coaches. 

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Many of these people know or knew one another well.  Tim Lannon replaced Fr. John Schlegel as President of Creighton.  Both had very popular personalities. Schlegel was a Saint Louis University grad (Oxford PHD) and among his stops was Dean of Arts and Sciences at Marquette U. After retirement, Schlegel lived in Milwaukee, at Marquette and was Pastor of their University Church before a sudden cancer diagnosis and death a few years ago. 

Tim Lannon started out at Marquette University High School teaching, assistant principal, etc before his various college stops which included being a VP of Advancement at Marquette U.  

Creighton dominated the Valley for a while.  They have had top 25 annual attendance or better the past few decades.  And they have had sustained success under multiple coaches. 

We need to return this thread to updates on our recruits, surely Pistol will come to the rescue again soon!

rgbilliken and moytoy12 like this

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Thank you.  

Yes, I agree. Can someone translate this Tweeter for us:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2019 McDonald’s All-American Nominee ❌<br>Selected for 2019 McDonald’s All-American game ❌<br>More reasons to go harder to get to where I want to be. H&amp;H! <br><br>-UNKNOWN</p>&mdash; Yuri Collins (@smoovYC1) <a href="https://twitter.com/smoovYC1/status/1088594948662980609?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 25, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

He didn’t get chosen for either. So he’s out to prove himself 

kinda crazy, they give out those nominees like candy now.   4 kids from Webster got one this year.

It's about 800 seniors that get a nomination. Collins is unquestionably one of the best 800 seniors in the country. It isn't based on top college prospects. Here's a link to the process details. So step 1 is having coaches and administrators willing to go through the steps. They say all applications are "thoroughly vetted" but I'm not sure how many they get for the ~800 nominees. The funny thing is the final rosters are the most predictable part of the whole thing. Just look at the top recruiting rankings from the major services and you could probably guess about 75% of the final rosters (12 and 12, so 24 total players), with a few inclusions and omissions that may or may not be surprising.

13 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

We need to return this thread to updates on our recruits, surely Pistol will come to the rescue again soon!

How about this? Javonte Perkins had an uncharacteristically quiet night in a surprising 110-105 loss at Lake Land. He finished with 11 points on 4-7 shooting (0-1 from 3, 3-3 FT), with 6 rebounds and 1 assist. Lake Land must've made him the focus of their defensive scheme, or maybe they have a Javon Bess-type defender. SWIC had 5 guys in double figures. Their next game is tomorrow at Wabash Valley.

VeniceMenace likes this

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

How about this? Javonte Perkins had an uncharacteristically quiet night in a surprising 110-105 loss at Lake Land. He finished with 11 points on 4-7 shooting (0-1 from 3, 3-3 FT), with 6 rebounds and 1 assist. Lake Land must've made him the focus of their defensive scheme, or maybe they have a Javon Bess-type defender. SWIC had 5 guys in double figures. Their next game is tomorrow at Wabash Valley.

Are we even recruiting David Sloan anymore?

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Are we even recruiting David Sloan anymore?

I haven't been able to confirm SLU actively recruiting him for a few years now. Even though he's one of the best PGs in the juco game, pursuing him might not sit well with Goodwin and Collins.

45 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The death of RM sure didn't help.  Then, again, had he live another year, he may have had a terrible break up with Fr. Biondi and SLU -- the relationship had been strained and may have blown apart soon.  And yes, Fr. Biondi and his attitude was a big problem for us.  At the same time, the current status of SLU's entire sports program was also a problem, and in my opinion, remains a problem.   Yes, Chaifetz is a great facility for men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball; however, the Power 5 conferences have dedicated facilities for volleyball, baseball stadiums (seating 15,000 and up); really impressive softball stadiums, soccer stadiums, etc.    And while the Big East is is not a Power 5 school, many of the schools are closer to the Power 5 than they are to the A10/SLU.

Comparison:

Creighton's soccer complex blows away Hermann Field

Creighton baseball plays in a beautiful, baseball only stadium which hosts the College World Series every year  -- I have personally been there twice

Creighton's basketball teams (I am told) play in a facility comparable to Chaifetz

Creighton basketball has been a consistent, perennial winning program for years compared to SLU having some very high moments (higher than Creighton) as well as some very, very low moments (lower than Creighton) over the past 20 and/or 40 years

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I haven't been able to confirm SLU actively recruiting him for a few years now. Even though he's one of the best PGs in the juco game, pursuing him might not sit well with Goodwin and Collins.

You don't limit your recruiting because members of the team might be worried about the competition.