Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

Keep meaning to ask about another local’s pedigree is Luther Burden related to our Luther Burden?

pretty sure it is our Luther's son. 

1 hour ago, Basketbill said:

Saw the fuzzy video, and thought he was about a foot above the rim, this pic is awesome his elbow is even with the rim.  He and French will be blocking everything.

I'm not saying Hargrove doesn't have hops, but be very careful of looking at a picture taken on ground level and trying to decipher if his head was above the rim or his elbow is even with the rim. Angles can be very deceptive.

VeniceMenace likes this

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm not saying Hargrove doesn't have hops, but be very careful of looking at a picture taken on ground level and trying to decipher if his head was above the rim or his elbow is even with the rim. Angles can be very deceptive.

Precisely why I only let my wife view me from a specific angle during our love making sessions....

Man you guys are totally over reacting.  So he looks very impressive because he can jump so high that his head looks close to the rim to block a shot from a top 50 recruit in 2020 in a big game.  Let me know when he grows 2" and can side step a trash can in an empty gym and his head barely breaks the plane of the bottom of the net.  

image.png.8693a1d25e0ee62864c74cd0f90ab932.png

10 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Man you guys are totally over reacting.  So he looks very impressive because he can jump so high that his head looks close to the rim to block a shot from a top 50 recruit in 2020 in a big game.  Let me know when he grows 2" and can side step a trash can in an empty gym and his head barely breaks the plane of the bottom of the net.  

image.png.8693a1d25e0ee62864c74cd0f90ab932.png

Lol

16 minutes ago, kshoe said:

While true angles can be deceptive,  the video was impressive enough, but fuzzy. Intelligence can take that into account and yet still be excited about our incoming recruit. 

Hargrove has some hops! His sweat has not yet been proven to cure cancer...but there’s a chance.

10 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

While true angles can be deceptive,  the video was impressive enough, but fuzzy. Intelligence can take that into account and yet still be excited about our incoming recruit. 

Hargrove has some hops! His sweat has not yet been proven to cure cancer...but there’s a chance.

The video was awesome and I shared it with lots of people. I'm just not sharing a still photo from the floor and saying his head is close the rim (Skip) or his elbow is even with the rim. Didn't mean to be a debbie downer just a bit of a realist.

To 3-star, French may have something to say about your leaping ability comment. If nothing else, it's pretty comparable.

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The video was awesome and I shared it with lots of people. I'm just not sharing a still photo from the floor and saying his head is close the rim (Skip) or his elbow is even with the rim. Didn't mean to be a debbie downer just a bit of a realist.

To 3-star, French may have something to say about your leaping ability comment. If nothing else, it's pretty comparable.

Nothing wrong with being second best 😉

I'm already picking Hargrove against the field in next year's exhibition dunk contest.

24 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I agree that you cannot make an absolute judgement,  but it is an impressive block and a fantastic picture.  I look forward to that kind of play next year!

3 hours ago, ACE said:

That is awesome! Does Hargrove have a reputation for being a shot-blocker?  French and Hargrove could be quite a swat team.

Hargrove averages 2.9 blocks per game.

To put this in perspective, Gordon averaged 2.0 blocks per game as a senior at WG last season and he had more blocks than French through 13 games at SLU, before he left. Gordon had 23 to French's 18; French has since swatted 9 shots in the 4 games since Gordon left, so he's inching closer to last season's pace (1.8 BPG vs. 1.6 BPG currently).

Hargrove has exceptional bounce and length. We haven't had a player like him in quite some time. Hargrove feels a little more like a Romar recruit to me; he was the last coach who managed to successfully recruit a handful of really athletic wings. I'm not saying we haven't had any since then, just not quite this style.

Depending on how we fill the roster out, Hargrove may or may not have the opportunity to be the same shot blocker he is in HS. If he's guarding the wing more, he's going to be facing more jump shooters, but if he's playing more 4, he'll be closer to the basket like French and have more chances. I think he's a wing in the long run, so this is more a comment on what he'll be able to do next season.

Coming into this season, I expected the combo of French, Gordon, and Santos to lead us to a school record in blocks for a season (169, set in 2009-2010; last year was second, with 146). We're not going to touch that now, but it's good to know we've got at least one more shot blocker on the way.