Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polk also made the mistake of choosing a program that wasn't a good fit. He needed to go somewhere he could run, not a place where defense was preached first, second, and third, and a screen-and-shoot motion offense was run at the other end. It was frustrating watching him blaze down the court only to slow up, circle back, and get into the offense.

I don't know what happened to his shot. Maybe part of it was just that he was being forced to play at a speed and style that didn't suit him.

VeniceMenace likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Polk also made the mistake of choosing a program that wasn't a good fit. He needed to go somewhere he could run, not a place where defense was preached first, second, and third, and a screen-and-shoot motion offense was run at the other end. It was frustrating watching him blaze down the court only to slow up, circle back, and get into the offense.

I don't know what happened to his shot. Maybe part of it was just that he was being forced to play at a speed and style that didn't suit him.

I still think that "what happened" to his shot was that he insisted on continuing to shoot with his left hand when he was actually right handed.  It may have worked in high school, but....

Polk suffered a serious knee injury in HS, as I recall. At one point he was supposed to be a top 100 player. Also, when Vashon won State he scored over 30 Pts in the final. Supposedly a sniper from beyond the arc. It never came to fruition here for him. I think he was the player that was responsible for the saying SLU, where shooters come to die. 

slufanskip likes this

36 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Polk suffered a serious knee injury in HS, as I recall. At one point he was supposed to be a top 100 player. Also, when Vashon won State he scored over 30 Pts in the final. Supposedly a sniper from beyond the arc. It never came to fruition here for him. I think he was the player that was responsible for the saying SLU, where shooters come to die. 

I am not sure he was ever considered a sniper in high school.  He scored a lot of his points by driving - he was so fast that most high school kids could not guard him.  He did have a serious knee injury but it apparently did not slow him down.  He simply was not a good shooter and did not need to be in high school.

On 12/19/2018 at 8:34 AM, Pistol said:

I'm going to push back on this a little bit.

Perkins and Jimerson are scorers, absolutely. No question. Bucket getters. Jimerson is about as high-level a shooter as I can remember ever coming in to SLU, but has sneaky versatility. Perkins scores on all three levels and is playing with a ton of confidence at SWIC.

Collins is not a scorer. He's an old-school pass-first floor general. He has almost preternatural PG skills, the way he sees the floor and moves the ball. He's one step ahead of the action. But he's limited as a scorer. He doesn't shoot in high volume, and though he's got a strong frame and plays with fearlessness, his size is a limitation when he goes to the basket. He has also said in interviews that he has no ego around getting points, and that he'd be happier scoring 0, with 25 assists.

Hargrove is the man for ESL but when he played for Brad Beal Elite on the AAU circuit, he was more of a role player - finisher (high percentage, lower volume), rebounder, shot disruptor. I was pretty impressed with his unselfishness and willingness to do the dirty work while guys like Liddell, Moody, and McKinney scored more. Don't get me wrong; I think he's made progress as a shooter and he's one of the more exciting dunkers and finishers we've ever brought in - his potential is sky high - but I don't think I'd bill him as a scorer quite yet.

Great analysis.  I disagree slightly about Hargrove tho.  I wouldn't read to much into his BBE stats.  That was his first year playing AAU at an elite level.  The focus was on Liddell,  Moody and Harmon.  Okoro and McKinney after that.  I give Hargrove a slight edge over Perkins heading into next year.  Ford values D over offense at this point and Hargrove is more physical than Perkins.  Will be a great battle to watch in practice lol.

Pistol likes this

15 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Great analysis.  I disagree slightly about Hargrove tho.  I wouldn't read to much into his BBE stats.  That was his first year playing AAU at an elite level.  The focus was on Liddell,  Moody and Harmon.  Okoro and McKinney after that.  I give Hargrove a slight edge over Perkins heading into next year.  Ford values D over offense at this point and Hargrove is more physical than Perkins.  Will be a great battle to watch in practice lol.

I agree. I wasn't saying that he can't, just that he doesn't when other guys are the focal point - and he won't be the focal point on day 1. But again, his ceiling will be as high or higher than anyone's. With increasing consistency in his perimeter shooting this season, he really looks like a big-time player to me. And yes, I also love what he brings defensively. We could run Goodwin-Thatch-Hargrove-French-Gordon at times next season and have shot blockers at all five positions, not to mention rebounders.

Coach314 and Spoon-Balls like this

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I agree. I wasn't saying that he can't, just that he doesn't when other guys are the focal point - and he won't be the focal point on day 1. But again, his ceiling will be as high or higher than anyone's. With increasing consistency in his perimeter shooting this season, he really looks like a big-time player to me. And yes, I also love what he brings defensively. We could run Goodwin-Thatch-Hargrove-French-Gordon at times next season and have shot blockers at all five positions, not to mention rebounders.

-with that lineup we should play at a much faster tempo than what we are used to, offseason conditioning for CAG would have more emphasis

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Gotcha.  👌