Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that the guys we're bringing in next season are primarily all scorers. Hopefully Perkins and/or Hargrove can end up being starters, and Jimmerson can be a 3 point threat right off the bench.

I'm not sure if Yuri will be a major contributor as a freshman until he improves his 3 point shot and his defense. 

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Love that the guys we're bringing in next season are primarily all scorers. Hopefully Perkins and/or Hargrove can end up being starters, and Jimmerson can be a 3 point threat right off the bench.

I'm not sure if Yuri will be a major contributor as a freshman until he improves his 3 point shot and his defense. 

Notable is that each recruit shoots FTs better than the average of the current SLU roster:

Jimmerson: 85 percent/EYBL

Perkins: 81 percent currently

Collins: 72 percent/EYBL

Hargrove: 70 percent high school

It is so nice to have 3 shooters and 4 free throw shooters coming, the frustration of poor shooting ends this season.

I really like Perkins because of his age and experience and probably starts because of that.

With only two bigs coming back next season signing a big is so important and I hope for experience Coach Ford can find a grad transfer better than DJ for next season to fill that role.

With so many choices and currently having two bigs if another big is not signed does Gordon and French start together or does one relieve the other one to keep a fresh big in?

In Travis I trust, a big will be found. While it's great to think about the new guys comin in, it's sad to see Javon leave. He's been our best player since Evans and Jett. Plus who fills his role as both scorer, defender, and leader? JGood's my pick. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

In Travis I trust, a big will be found. While it's great to think about the new guys comin in, it's sad to see Javon leave. He's been our best player since Evans and Jett. Plus who fills his role as both scorer, defender, and leader? JGood's my pick. 

It doesn’t have to be one person. I think you see a combo: Goodwin is the locker room leader, Fred is lockdown D and then the scoring will hopefully be spread out. Maybe Fred or Jacobs steps into the scoring role but it sure looks like javonte Perkins will be that guy with Hargrove behind him. My biggest question is: is Yuri given the keys to the Mercedes next year or does he take a secondary role to Goodwin?

15 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I'm going to push back on this a little bit.

Perkins and Jimerson are scorers, absolutely. No question. Bucket getters. Jimerson is about as high-level a shooter as I can remember ever coming in to SLU, but has sneaky versatility. Perkins scores on all three levels and is playing with a ton of confidence at SWIC.

Collins is not a scorer. He's an old-school pass-first floor general. He has almost preternatural PG skills, the way he sees the floor and moves the ball. He's one step ahead of the action. But he's limited as a scorer. He doesn't shoot in high volume, and though he's got a strong frame and plays with fearlessness, his size is a limitation when he goes to the basket. He has also said in interviews that he has no ego around getting points, and that he'd be happier scoring 0, with 25 assists.

Hargrove is the man for ESL but when he played for Brad Beal Elite on the AAU circuit, he was more of a role player - finisher (high percentage, lower volume), rebounder, shot disruptor. I was pretty impressed with his unselfishness and willingness to do the dirty work while guys like Liddell, Moody, and McKinney scored more. Don't get me wrong; I think he's made progress as a shooter and he's one of the more exciting dunkers and finishers we've ever brought in - his potential is sky high - but I don't think I'd bill him as a scorer quite yet.

13 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Majerus said you take a 1.8 shooter sight unseen. Jimerson is at .514/.490/.860 - or 1.864 - so he's that guy.

Man, could we use his 3-point and FT shooting right now.

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Collins is not a scorer. He's an old-school pass-first floor general. He has almost preternatural PG skills, the way he sees the floor and moves the ball. He's one step ahead of the action. But he's limited as a scorer. He doesn't shoot in high volume, and though he's got a strong frame and plays with fearlessness, his size is a limitation when he goes to the basket. He has also said in interviews that he has no ego around getting points, and that he'd be happier scoring 0, with 25 assists.

Towel please.

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Majerus said you take a 1.8 shooter sight unseen. Jimerson is at .514/.490/.860 - or 1.864 - so he's that guy.

Man, could we use his 3-point and FT shooting right now.

shooting the same from 3 pt and 2 pt. And at a high volume. That's awesome. 

Would love if he was the 6th man next year (or this year really)

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

You can see why Hargrove recruited Collins so hard. An assist man like Collins and a finisher like Hargrove - there are a lot of potential highlights in this pair's future.

So you're saying the alley-oop returns to SL next year ? It's been awhile

East St. Louis only needed 7 from Hargrove last night as they shut down Edwardsville, 49-27. They held Edwardsville to 6 points in the first half, including just 1 in the second quarter. Hargrove was efficient, 3-4 from the field and 1-1 from 3. He added 5 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 steals, and an assist. He's really unselfish, not at all concerned about his numbers as long as he's helping them get the W in whatever way makes sense.

St. Mary's is playing in the first ever Marianist Classic in Akron this weekend. Hopefully Collins can go, because they're going to really struggle otherwise. They play North Catholic (Pittsburgh) tomorrow and Chaminade (West Hills, CA) on Saturday. The local Chaminade is also heading up there, playing Kennedy Catholic (Erie, PA) tomorrow and host St. Vincent-St. Mary's on Saturday. And yes, all games will be held at LeBron James Arena on the STVM campus.

The key to success for Brad Soderberg and the Billikens is to keep top local talent from fleeing the city for perceived greener pastures elsewhere. Soderberg hit a home run when he was able to land Dwayne Polk. Polk was a standout at Vashon High School and averaged 14.1 points, 4.5 assists and 2.3 steals per game last season leading the Wolverines to a 31-0 record and the Class 4A state title. The Billikens expect their freshman prodigy, who’s a mere 5 feet 9 inches and 160 pounds, to use his considerable ball skills and lightning quickness to run the team’s offense efficiently and help it become a consistent participant in the NCAA Tournament in the years to come.

3 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

The key to success for Brad Soderberg and the Billikens is to keep top local talent from fleeing the city for perceived greener pastures elsewhere. Soderberg hit a home run when he was able to land Dwayne Polk. Polk was a standout at Vashon High School and averaged 14.1 points, 4.5 assists and 2.3 steals per game last season leading the Wolverines to a 31-0 record and the Class 4A state title. The Billikens expect their freshman prodigy, who’s a mere 5 feet 9 inches and 160 pounds, to use his considerable ball skills and lightning quickness to run the team’s offense efficiently and help it become a consistent participant in the NCAA Tournament in the years to come.

The problem that Polk had - by the way it was a good signing at the time - was that he could not it the ocean with a beach ball.  The other teams figured this out and  did not guard him.  By doing so they were able to bottle up the other 4 guys on the floor.  Hopefully Yuri can shoot just enough to keep the other team honest.