• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I do worry about his level of competition. Label me cautiously optimistic 

10 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

@Pistolcan correct me but it’s my understand is the teams he is playing against should be considered relatively good high school teams. 

I’m hoping he can can get bumped up during the season like Mark Smith last year 

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

This is correct, but I think the CBD team still plays pretty strong competition.  Could be entirely wrong though. 

38 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Pistol talked about this.  He reclassified his freshmen year so technically is a 5th year kid so isn't eligible for the varsity team.  They still play good teams he said.  Sure he can elaborate more but here is what he said earlier.  

Looks like this has already been settled, but this is what I wrote in that previous thread:

Montverde has a Varsity team and a CBD (Center for Basketball Development) team. Both teams travel nationally and play nationally competitive schedules, but only the CBD team has fifth-year players. They'll play a prep school schedule, with teams like Hillcrest (AZ), and the Northeastern prep schools, whereas the Varsity team will play teams like Vashon, Simeon, and other nationally competitive high schools. Jimerson is on the CBD team. Players in bold are on his team, whereas non-bold players are on Varsity. There may be some players that play on both or switch; I'm not entirely clear on how it works. I'm not sure why some underclassmen are on the CBD roster and some varsity; maybe they choose to go CBD if they don't make varsity. Varsity is clearly the prestige program, but CBD looks ideal for prep year and international transfers.

So the CBD is not the Montverde team that is nationally ranked and gets all the attention with all the nationally-known studs on the roster. That's the varsity team. The CBD is mostly fifth-year players, with a lot of international kids. They still play a lot of games, they still play a strong and nationally competitive schedule, and they still have a lot of talent. It's just a lot of players who need/want the bridge year (or more, for those that join earlier) to get on the college radar, to bridge the gap between their international academic credits and NCAA requirements, or to get some more time to develop skills, strength, and conditioning prior to college.

Jimerson actually made the reclassification decision very early on, I believe after his freshman season. So he's already got a HS diploma and this year was to get some more experience and conditioning before college, and to boost his profile in the process - but man, I'm increasingly relieved that he signed in the fall. A verbal commitment wouldn't feel very safe right now, given what he's doing. And yes, given what he's doing against solid competition.

Shooting is a skill that translates. It's not like we're recruiting him as a big-time rebounder and he's the tallest guy on the floor at 6-6 or something. He can score from anywhere. Sure, he's going to face bigger, stronger, faster defenders in college but he's got range and a quick trigger, plus he can put it on the floor and score from all three levels. In these two games, he's scored 45 and 46 on 9 and 11 3-pointers - which means that he scored 18 and 12 from inside the perimeter and at the FT line. That's almost as important to me as the fact that he's burying everything from outside. It's easier to guard a guy who only does one thing.

Perkins' SWIC team beat Mineral Area College a few nights ago and lost to undefeated Olney Central last night. SWIC numbers aren't available for either box score yet, but I'll update when those are available. SWIC is 3-3 so far on the season.

St. Mary's is off to an 0-3 start with Collins still recovering from shoulder surgery. Soldan and Whitfield beat them soundly but they only lost to U City by 4 last night. They play Pattonville tomorrow for what I'm assuming is the 7th-place game of the Vianney tournament. They're young. They need Collins to win at all this year.

East St. Louis (2-1) plays Belleville East (the one without Liddell) tomorrow. The Lancers (3-2) lost to DeSmet and Centralia before beating Cleveland, Jerseyville, and Cahokia. After the season-opening tournament this past weekend, Hargrove is averaging 21.7 points, 10.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.3 steals, and 2.3 blocks. His slashline is .434/.444/.625 (23-53, 4-9, 15-24). Weird that his 3P% is higher than his 2P%, but that probably won't last much longer.

TheDude and drkelsey55 like this

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Perkins' SWIC team beat Mineral Area College a few nights ago and lost to undefeated Olney Central last night. SWIC numbers aren't available for either box score yet, but I'll update when those are available. SWIC is 3-3 so far on the season.

St. Mary's is off to an 0-3 start with Collins still recovering from shoulder surgery. Soldan and Whitfield beat them soundly but they only lost to U City by 4 last night. They play Pattonville tomorrow for what I'm assuming is the 7th-place game of the Vianney tournament. They're young. They need Collins to win at all this year.

East St. Louis (2-1) plays Belleville East (the one without Liddell) tomorrow. The Lancers (3-2) lost to DeSmet and Centralia before beating Cleveland, Jerseyville, and Cahokia. After the season-opening tournament this past weekend, Hargrove is averaging 21.7 points, 10.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.3 steals, and 2.3 blocks. His slashline is .434/.444/.625 (23-53, 4-9, 15-24). Weird that his 3P% is higher than his 2P%, but that probably won't last much longer.

You should go work for Earl Time Updates!

Pistol likes this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Isn't the nickname of East St. Louis the Flyers?

Yuri Collins, senior, St. Mary's

The area's top point guard prospect, the 5-foot-11 and 175-pound Collins set the school's assist record as a sophomore. Averaged nearly 14 points, three rebounds, three steals and more than six assists last season as the Dragons advanced to second quarterfinal in program history. Sidelined while recovering from shoulder surgery until mid-December. Signed with St. Louis U.

From the PD

image.png

Collins having a "mid-December" return timeline was news to me. Thanks for the excerpt, @HoosierPal.

Hargrove had 20 and 14 in a 75-55 win over Belleville East, adding an assist and 5 blocks. He went 6-16 from the field, 1-4 from 3, and 7-10 from the FT line. A little below his efficiency in the first three games but overall a very Hargrovian performance. ESL takes on Collinsville tomorrow.

Here's HoopGroup's preview of Montverde CBD, which is playing in the New Jersey Tip-Off Classic on December 14-16. Relevant Jimerson passages:

Montverde Academy CBD has a nice makeup to their team this year with a lot of upperclassmen leadership. They have impressive guard play with guys like James Lee, Trae Broadnax and Saint Louis commit Gibson Jimerson and talented big men with Gonzaga commit Pavel Zakharov, Quinnipiac commit Seth Pinkney and forward Oton Jankovic. Coach Boyle likes the team he has and how well they work together. 

Backcourt:

Montverde Academy CBD has a nicely put together backcourt this year. Seniors James Lee, Trae Broadnax and Gibson Jimerson have their own role within the offense and work well together. Lee provides is great off the bounce and has a real knack for getting to the rim. Broadnax is also good at slashing to the basket, but can also step it out and knock down shots. Jimerson is one of the best shooters throughout the country and is a threat anytime he crosses the half court line.

Montverde CBD is not the easiest to track over the course of the season, given that Varsity gets more attention and there isn't a good spot (that I've found) with their box scores. So if coverage of GJ is spotty this season, it's just the nature of the beast. We'll just hope for more offensive explosions that can't be denied some Twitter attention.

Perkins is getting his own post today.

With stats now available for 7/8 games (SWIC is a few days slow updating box scores for NJCAA.org; the 12/1 game against Lincoln Trail is not included), he's averaging 28.4 points on a slashline of .563/.378/.823. He's also averaging 9.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals, and 2.7 turnovers.

Nationally, he's second to Alonzo Verge (29.8) in scoring.

Last night at Three Rivers, he had 27 points on 9-14 shooting (1-3 from 3) and 8-8 from the line. He had 41 in a loss to Olney Central last week.

SWIC's next NJCAA game is against Lewis & Clark on 12/8. They play Lindenwood-Belleville JV on 12/5. I don't know if those stats count or not.

TheChosenOne and TheDude like this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Perkins is getting his own post today.

With stats now available for 7/8 games (SWIC is a few days slow updating box scores for NJCAA.org; the 12/1 game against Lincoln Trail is not included), he's averaging 28.4 points on a slashline of .563/.378/.823. He's also averaging 9.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals, and 2.7 turnovers.

Nationally, he's second to Alonzo Verge (29.8) in scoring.

Last night at Three Rivers, he had 27 points on 9-14 shooting (1-3 from 3) and 8-8 from the line. He had 41 in a loss to Olney Central last week.

SWIC's next NJCAA game is against Lewis & Clark on 12/8. They play Lindenwood-Belleville JV on 12/5. I don't know if those stats count or not.

So.... he gets buckets is what you’re saying 

Pistol likes this

37 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Collins having a "mid-December" return timeline was news to me. Thanks for the excerpt, @HoosierPal.

Hargrove had 20 and 14 in a 75-55 win over Belleville East, adding an assist and 5 blocks. He went 6-16 from the field, 1-4 from 3, and 7-10 from the FT line. A little below his efficiency in the first three games but overall a very Hargrovian performance. ESL takes on Collinsville tomorrow.

Here's HoopGroup's preview of Montverde CBD, which is playing in the New Jersey Tip-Off Classic on December 14-16. Relevant Jimerson passages:

Montverde Academy CBD has a nice makeup to their team this year with a lot of upperclassmen leadership. They have impressive guard play with guys like James Lee, Trae Broadnax and Saint Louis commit Gibson Jimerson and talented big men with Gonzaga commit Pavel Zakharov, Quinnipiac commit Seth Pinkney and forward Oton Jankovic. Coach Boyle likes the team he has and how well they work together. 

Backcourt:

Montverde Academy CBD has a nicely put together backcourt this year. Seniors James Lee, Trae Broadnax and Gibson Jimerson have their own role within the offense and work well together. Lee provides is great off the bounce and has a real knack for getting to the rim. Broadnax is also good at slashing to the basket, but can also step it out and knock down shots. Jimerson is one of the best shooters throughout the country and is a threat anytime he crosses the half court line.

Montverde CBD is not the easiest to track over the course of the season, given that Varsity gets more attention and there isn't a good spot (that I've found) with their box scores. So if coverage of GJ is spotty this season, it's just the nature of the beast. We'll just hope for more offensive explosions that can't be denied some Twitter attention.

I don't get how Montverde is going about who plays with what team this season.  As of last week Zakharov was listed on the varsity roster.  He is no longer listed on there and I guess that means he will play CBD all year.  That move alone will make the CBD really good.  

I guess they are really looking to build up the CBD program this season.  Now that Zakharov is committed to Gonzaga there isn't the need to showcase him to top programs on the varsity roster. They can use Zakharov to draw even more eyes to the CBD program and market Zakharov as a CBD product.  The CBD program is a way to add close to another million dollars a year in income for the school just in tuition.  

Personally, I am glad that Jimerson is on the CBD team.  It means he will play more.