Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You can sort of go back if you extend your high school (or pre college period) by going to a prep school for a year. I am not saying Yuri should do this.

thats not the same.    high school is kids he grew up with and there are connections and stories galore that one will likely cherish forever.   one year at some boarding school is starting all over and likely is not a good experience off the court.

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That is why I said "sort of." Agree is not totally the same. But when you are fated to miss something important, you either take the loss or try to make up for it somehow.

i am only wishing him his senior year of high school because some on here would rather yuiri skip basketball for his last year to insure a greater likelihood he is 100% for the billikens next year.   i want yuri healthy as well, but no one knows the future and who's to say he sits out the season and over the summer tears something else.     I am sure he will use sense and not rush things.    meanwhile,  enjoy what comes your way Yuri.  Plenty of time to be a billiken.  

RUBillsFan, Zink and brianstl like this

We generally talk about looking for a great shooter, or a big man, or a ball handler, etc., but is there such a thing as recruiting for defense? We seem to have consistent trouble stopping small, quick guards. Is there a way to judge whether a high-school kid, or even a juco player, can be a lock-down D1 defender?

12 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

We generally talk about looking for a great shooter, or a big man, or a ball handler, etc., but is there such a thing as recruiting for defense? We seem to have consistent trouble stopping small, quick guards. Is there a way to judge whether a high-school kid, or even a juco player, can be a lock-down D1 defender?

Thatch. 

19 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

I don't know what Ford's philosphy on this is, but Soderberg (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Majerus said something like this, too) said he did not recruit players based on defensive ability in HS/AAU, and saw any player who was already an excellent defender as a bonus. He would rather bring in players who have high-level offensive talent, and then teach them how to play defense - and within his system, of course.

And before everyone jumps on this: Yes, I'm aware we lacked high-level offensive talent during the Soderberg era. I'm just telling you what he used to say. Don't shoot the messenger.

Anyway, I think it's better to look for guys who have the tools to play defense than fully-formed defensive players because there just aren't many in the HS ranks, save for bigs/guys with length who disrupt a lot of shots. They certainly aren't learning team defense in AAU ball, and you never quite know the quality of defensive instruction in a HS program.

Thatch is a guy who was easier to project as a strong D-I defender because of his size (he's the only freshman the strength & conditioning coach didn't want to add 10+ lbs.), strength, (underrated) athleticism, and the fact he guarded multiple positions in HS.

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I do worry about his level of competition. Label me cautiously optimistic 

@Pistolcan correct me but it’s my understand is the teams he is playing against should be considered relatively good high school teams. 

I’m hoping he can can get bumped up during the season like Mark Smith last year 

Pistol likes this

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So Jimerson is on a different Monteverde team than the big time recruits at the school like Moody, Payne, Precious and the two Euro bigs.  They are on the varsity team and Jimerson is on something called the CBD team.  I must have missed that earlier

This is correct, but I think the CBD team still plays pretty strong competition.  Could be entirely wrong though. 

Pistol likes this

8 hours ago, brianstl said:

So Jimerson is on a different Monteverde team than the big time recruits at the school like Moody, Payne, Precious and the two Euro bigs.  They are on the varsity team and Jimerson is on something called the CBD team.  I must have missed that earlier

Sheeesh. This concerns me.

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Kid hit 11 threes in a game with very quick release. Could’ve been against the Hellen Keller School for the Blind and Deaf and I’d still need to be toweled. 

Plus the national recruiting guys are calling him a top shooter in entire country. I’m good. 

BlueAndWhite likes this