The Bills over N Ala by 23

The Wiz

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think the best player on the floor was bess.   he does it all on both ends.   yes foreman and french had decent offensive games, but foreman was not stellar on defense and french once again in foul trouble and missing free throws.   

bess is the guy that we seem to be able to count on all the time.  nothing espn worthy, but dependable and quality.  

Bess isn't a bad choice either,  He was really good last night and he seemed to be looking to set up the bigs last night.  I actually, thought Bess, Thatch and Isabell (at times) did a good job of this. 

They, also, ran some nice high/low post packages last night where Foreman fed French down low a few times.  I think we need to see more of that.

I look at this team right now and conclude that the parts are greater than the sum, which is not where any team wants to be. Without being an inside in the locker room and practices, it is impossible to know the source of the primary issues, but I am certainly willing to give it time to allow Coach Ford and his staff to work it out. The most concerning issue is that the apparently super-weak condition of the A-10 places an increased importance on these early non-conference match-ups. 

15 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I look at this team right now and conclude that the parts are greater than the sum, which is not where any team wants to be. Without being an inside in the locker room and practices, it is impossible to know the source of the primary issues, but I am certainly willing to give it time to allow Coach Ford and his staff to work it out. The most concerning issue is that the apparently super-weak condition of the A-10 places an increased importance on these early non-conference match-ups. 

right on the mark David.   even if we dominate the conference season but lose in March in Brooklyn and we blew games in the non conference, this year's A-10 could be a one bid conference.   we have to dominate the non conference AND the conference games just to give us some breathing room in March.   Ford needs to get this fixed now.   now as in before our next game.  

18 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Or maybe they are a team getting to know each others' tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.  Impressed with the unselfishness of the players at this point.  Good sign.

Let's hope that it is a team that plays up to its competition.

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Or maybe they are a team getting to know each others' tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.  Impressed with the unselfishness of the players at this point.  Good sign.

Let's hope that it is a team that plays up to its competition.

What games have you been watching. We have two guards that literally won't pass to each other.

39 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What games have you been watching. We have two guards that literally won't pass to each other.

I watched the game again and this is in no way true. They passed the ball to each other plenty. They also spend long periods where they are not on the floor together.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They stopped playing together because they couldn't coexist.

you watched a different game last night than i did.   

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So what you're telling me is that the offense wasn't bogged down when both were in the game together?

bogged down vs refusing to pass to each other and proclaiming they cannot coexist are quite a bit different.  

almaman likes this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They cannot coexist in an efficient offense, is that better. At multiple times they completely ignored each other on the court, does that work for  you?

Coexist is way too strong. Are they playing well together? No. The problem to me is  Jordan has lost his attacking style. I think the mask and broken nose could be a problem. THEY WILL WORK IT OUT. 

rgbilliken likes this

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They cannot coexist in an efficient offense, is that better. At multiple times they completely ignored each other on the court, does that work for  you?

i didnt see that happen.   so know that doesnt work for me.  you want to make goodwin and or isabell the scapegoats, go ahead.   at this point i see what the team is doing on the floor a problem of poor utilization of our players that puts our talent in a bad position to succeed.  i.e. we need to change the offensive game plan.  

Adman likes this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i didnt see that happen.   so know that doesnt work for me.  you want to make goodwin and or isabell the scapegoats, go ahead.   at this point i see what the team is doing on the floor a problem of poor utilization of our players that puts our talent in a bad position to succeed.  i.e. we need to change the offensive game plan.  

It's not scapegoating. I observed things on the court and I'm relaying my observations here.

4 minutes ago, willie said:

All of these issues can be solved by making a few shots. They need to play up tempo and just let it fly. The play of the game was Bess coming down the floor stepped into a 3 and bingo. 

-I agree and we will very soon know if this team is capable of making shots,  CFord with a quick hook after a mistake isn't helping play with tempo as players seem to be so tentative, afraid to make a mistake which leads to the bench

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It is Ford's job to make it work.  He built the team, he needs to implement an offense that gets the most out of the talent he assembled. 

Goodwin and Isabell can coexist in a efficient offense.  You can have two guys like them on the court together.  Isabell's obscene amount of ball dominance has disappeared since the first game. Goodwin's has dropped too since that game.  They both had pretty efficient games offensively against Troy where they were on the court together for more than 80% of the game. My biggest fear going into the season and still somewhat is that the other three guys on the court will become pedestrians when those two are on the court together.  But if the trends we saw the last to games continue, that won't be the issue.

Goodwin's problem isn't playing with Isabell, it is knocking down shots and hitting free throws.

Billiken Rich likes this

Thatch had 20 + min last nite & while he didn't make a 3, his stroke looked fine.  Had the best + score on the team per Ford on the postgame show.  Give him a few more minutes to stir the pot.  He'll find his comfort zone soon enuf & help the chemistry.

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Perhaps you didn't have the correct angle. I watched Isabell reach the front court look at Goodwin wide open and turn it the other way and look for others who were covered.

I saw the same thing from Goodwin   and Goodwin was pulled and lectured by Ford for missing him.

That’s the thing, you are jumping to these conclusions just looking for a reason to blame Isabell.

We don’t know the situation.

Was there a designed play that called for something else?

Did Isabell miss him or think a defender was in the area?

Was he expecting Gordon to cut?

We don’t know.

Isabell has played pretty good so far. It seems some people just want him to fail. (Not saying you do 05)

During the preseason it was “Isabell refuses to play defense and is lazy.”  Now we see he can play D so people need to find another reason to hate him. 

Sure he can improve but it’s crazy the amount of negativity and blame the guy is receiving.

moytoy12 and billikenfan05 like this