Five positives from the Troy game

Sheltiedave

13 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Worth mentioning that Troy plays at Pitt tomorrow night. Yeah, we played awful for three quarters of the game, but it should give us a slight idea of how we match up. I think Troy is a decent team, but if Pitt wins by 30 that would be a bit disheartening. 

Pitt is slightly better than us.....I have Pitt by 9 in that game

35 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If Pitt is slightly better than us, and I don't doubt you, wouldn't that make it very unlikely we are a dance team unless we win the A10 tourney.? 

You are correct.....we are currently a B- team ...at B- we would pretty much have to win the A-10 tourney.....The good news is it's still early....we have 6 games left to get it together....not that you can't get it together after a total of 8....but by then you are what you are.  

35 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

For what it is worth, Kenpom has us at 76 and Pitt at 121. 

If we played Pitt today ....it would be Pitt by 2.....A good showing by the Bills at Seton Hall would make us the favorite....

21 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Pitt is slightly better than us.....I have Pitt by 9 in that game

With the 84-75 win by Pitt over Troy...This bodes well for us in the Pitt game....This is an indication we can beat them....With a win tomorrow night and a good showing against Seton Hall ...we can take Pitt

On 11/11/2018 at 8:59 AM, Sheltiedave said:

While this game was odoriferous for much of the first half, there are some significant positives that stand out.

1. Overall team defense was good, especially forcing driving guards/forwards into help, and jumping the passing lanes to tip/intercept overhead passes while playing zone.

2. We made four threes in a row in the final quarter. Most hot three binges occur in the first half, when everyone has strong legs. Doing it in the last quarter speaks well of our conditioning level.

3. Both Gordon and Thatch got significant minutes and looked comfortable. Getting the freshmen up to speed is critical; having two who are in the rotation with double digit minutes is huge.

4. In the second half, French showed he would listen to coaching, and he stopped forcing drives while double/triple teamed. He allowed the help double to commit, and then made the dime pass to the open man multiple times.

5. Gordon did not miss a shot, and every shot in the paint was contested. Finishing through body contact often is the difference between a one point, or a three point possession.

Defense was good and Isabell showed more effort than previous games.

I wouldn't say Thatch played "significant minutes", he barely saw the court, but Gordon looked great with the ball inside.

Goodwin seemed to slow it down on turnovers, instead of pushing it and driving to the basket with the ball. Maybe that's what Ford wanted?

There needs to be more/quicker ball movement against the zone.