Littlebill

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Bess wakes up at 6 am everyday to shoot ft

Practicing with bad technique doesn't help. It just reinforces bad technique. His shooting mechanics are godawful and it looks like it's the best he's going to be able to do.

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

After practice tomorrow. No one leaves the gym until you make 1000 F/T’s. French only has to make 3 as I think they can’t practice more than 5 hrs. 

Nope. Glory Days says you can only practice FT at 6 am. Sorry can’t do it in the afternoon. 

Lethargic on offense, didn't share the ball in the first half, we're not getting the ball to our post players. Second half was better. We've got some shooters in Isabel and Wiley but they're cold so far. It's not logical to think they'll continue to shoot this poorly.

I think we need to either;

a) Keep the four guard lineup and just play at a faster pace. I felt like when we were in transition and going faster they played more smoothly

b) Keep the pace, but out in two forwards, whether it be French and Gordon or Foreman. We need to find ways to get in into those players. No reason why french should be averaging 3 points per game.

Checking on our next opponent, North Alabama, they're losing to Blue Mountain College 36-35 at the half. They've got 14 players on their roster, nine of whom are Freshmen. We ought to get well against them and hopefully things will start to come together soon.

9 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I think we need to either;

a) Keep the four guard lineup and just play at a faster pace. I felt like when we were in transition and going faster they played more smoothly

b) Keep the pace, but out in two forwards, whether it be French and Gordon or Foreman. We need to find ways to get in into those players. No reason why french should be averaging 3 points per game.

Once we make some shots and they can stop triple teaming French, he’ll start scoring more 

RamJAMTIME likes this

12 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Checking on our next opponent, North Alabama, they're losing to Blue Mountain College 36-35 at the half. They've got 14 players on their roster, nine of whom are Freshmen. We ought to get well against them and hopefully things will start to come together soon.

blue-mountain-state.jpeg?_v=201509092014

I’m not sure about their basketball team but BMS has a good football team.

MattyMo213 and johnbj14 like this

13 minutes ago, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

He has the potential, I just hope he gets more touches. The bills had some lucky shots today. They could have lost to Troy, though they cleaned up their game, mostly... in the second half... Still, need to fix the overall game.

We threw the ball around the perimeter and hit some prayers, that’s for sure.  If anyone thinks what we did tonight is sustainable then I think you’re on some good drugs. Really good drugs. 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

We threw the ball around the perimeter and hit some prayers, that’s for sure.  If anyone thinks what we did tonight is sustainable then I think you’re on some good drugs. Really good drugs. 

It’s not sustainable. We will never be an average shooting team this year, but we will shoot better than we did tonight...... (hopefully)

and once that happens we can start pounding the inside 

My take, just got home. The game was not a nice game for us. Troy was faster and nimbler than we were, we exhibited very poor FT throwing and a fair degree of problems penetrating a zone. We did poorly in the first half, as far as scoring goes (this was a low scoring game). However, the end of the first half was helped a lot by scoring 6 in about a minute and a half with a group of players that included Jacobs, Goodwin and Wiley. Troy liked to do flops or so it seemed to me and the refs set up a fair claim, in a very crowded field, to be making some of the worst calls ever. Despite all of this, the second half improved and SLOWLY we got ahead. We had been behind basically the whole game and finally got ahead in the second half, towards the end. This was good, our kids kept on going and playing against these odds until they won finally 62 to 58. On the good side BOTH Goodwin and Isabell had more assists and less TO than in the prior game (Goodwin 5 A, 2 TO, Isabell 5 A, 1 TO), this was a significant improvement upon the prior game. Gordon played better, he seemed more fluid to me. French continues being hopeless with FTs. We won this game by slugging our way ahead of them and not giving up the effort regardless. It was not a pretty game or an easy game for us, but we won. A win is a win, now to the next one.

Oh, attendance was much better than against SEMO, the student section was reasonably full and loud.

Here are a few observations I had:

I liked the 4 guard lineup tonight. The last two years, Wiley shot 38% and 37% from 3. When he was in the corner it gave Gordon just enough space to work because they had to respect that track record.

I also think that we will at least become an average shooting team once everybody figures out their roles. There are certainly times that they look hesitant. I think Isabell, Wiley, and Goodwin all need to shoot in rhythm. The never seemed to get in rhythm until that flurry at the end of the game.

These guys don't have roles yet. French was the centerpiece of the offense for much of conference play last year. Goodwin had the ball on every possession last year. Likewise, Isabell was the guy at Drexel. There's only one basketball. Let's give them another game or two to figure out how to share that ball before we panic. The stat line in the second half tonight is something we would take in every game this year (minus the absolute atrocious FT shooting): 46.2/40/64.3 with only 2 TOs. Hopefully that last 10 minutes will be a turning point as they seemed to find a bit of comfort.

Gordon is going to be a stud. 

Just got home as well from the game and thought they were hesitant to shoot in the 1st half. They would get open shots but not feel like they were open. Several times they had good looks below and passed them up for a worst shot. I liked the trapping defense but they looked tentative to attack Troy on the fast break.

Second half, they were forced to shoot since the shot clock was winding down so they looked committed to the shot. Low and behold, they made 4 in a row. 

What I really liked was when Gordon was attacked by their #23 and got scored on, he went back at him on the other and scored. #23 was built and had good skills inside and out. Their bigs, as a result, got into foul trouble. I felt like the refs were picking on French in the 2nd, since Troy did not attempt a FT in the 1st half.

All in all, this team missed so many open looks that it can’t get worse. Get ready for every team to pack it in until we turn this around. 

I thought it was simple. Troy was a decent team with above-average athletes and good shooters. Their coach was smart and packed in a tight zone, taking away our strength advantage and forcing us to beat them with outside shots. Right now, we have no reliable outside shooter. Coach Ford wisely went to Wiley and asked him to fill that role. Wiley came out cold and missed his first 4 or 5. Once he got going, it gave us just enough to pull it out. As the season goes on, we need to find consistent outside shooters, improve free throw shooting, finish better on the break, and continue to develop Gordon's game. All will be well. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Brilliant captain obvious only a deep thinker like you and know other Billiken fan can figure out that the way the team played will not be good enough to win the A10.

We get it captain obvious, many of us were at the game are happy we won and cheered the team on to victory as you whined and complained like a little B.  After you posted we would lose several times then after victory you post more crap like this.