Around the A10 Composite

Taj79

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dayton opened up with the lead and held it until 6 minutes to go in the half when UVa took their first lead and slowly built it from there at 18 to 17.  They went up by five at half, slowly built it to a max of nine at 41 to 31 with 13 to go but after that, it was a "you score-I score' kind of game.  No one pulled away; no one made a run to catch up.  It seemed to me that #1) Uva caused quite a few shot clock violations for YouDee and #2) UVa isn't that good on offense either.  Both teams employed a lot of switches, contested everything, and made a tough night for each other.  Helping UVa is the fact that Dayton really has no shooters.  Cunningham and Topper are in-the-paint players.  Between them, they went an amazing 12-for-15 (80%) on the night from the floor.  But UVa's interior defense seemed suspect on the night.  Everything I saw them make was literally a layup.  Outside of that, Jalen Crutcher is all YouDee has otherwise.  Trey Landers is a garbage/energy guy; Ryan Mikesell is another in a longline of tall, unathletic Dayton white guys, and Jordan Davis is still looking for his shot.  Dayton continues to only go 8 deep and outside of Toppin, Jhery Matos and Dwayne Cohill are still learning to walk at this level .. each added a deuce.  Dayton strikes me as a team that can and will live off th energy of its home crowd; they'll be their usual selves at home.

The night before, Dan Dakich said "Dayton out-Butlered Butler."  He said that despite all the Cinderella feelings around Butler what with two final Four runs, Butler's style is to physically push you around.  Dayton did that to Butler Wednesday night.  They only won by 5 but they kind of punched the Bulldogs in the mouth early and never backed down.  In that game, Toppin was a no show but Lander came up with ten.  That's Dayton -- Cunningham and Crutcher and what volunteer can we get to be a third contributor.  In that one, Davis drew and 0-for-5 collar. 

As for Butler, another smallish team that starts essentially four guards.  One of the starters is Paul Jorgenson who was crap in two years at Geedubya.  Can't wait to be there next Saturday night. 

Other than that, over these holidays so far, the Bonnies have lost to Akron and Boise State.  Richmond lost to Wyoming and Loyola.  Duquesne lost at Notre Dame.  Mason beat NC Central.  Umass crushed Carbondale.  Miami of Flordia crushed La Salle.  VCU and us we know about.

Today, YouDee takes on Miles Reynolds an Oklahoma (-4) on ESPN2 at 1130 EST in the Battle for Atlantis..  La Salle faces Northwestern (-10.5) in the Wooden Legacy.  Mason is at Cincinnati (-11) in the Emerald Coast Classic.  And Umass takes on Nevada (-14.5) in the Las Vegas Invitational. 

Dayton finally saw Davis get involved .. while he scored 12, he was still 4-for-13 shooting, 3-of-9 from three.  This game, it was Crutcher, Davis and Landers, with very little from Cunningham and Toppin.  Mikesell again a no show.  And again nothing from Cohill or Matos. 

Old Billiken Reynolds was Miles Reynolds.  Seventeen on the night but 13-of-14 from the stripe including a perfect six-for-six down the stretch.  Yes, I'd take him for those final free throws in any game we are leading but elsewise, his game now is the same as it was three years ago ... two-of-five from the floor including nothing on a pair of threes, and no assists. 

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

And Umass takes on Nevada (-14.5) in the Las Vegas Invitational. 

UMASS hung with them for 25 minutes. They have a senior center, Holloway, who they list as 6'11" 310lbs, I would bet he's closer to 375. Gotta be one of the biggest guys I've ever seen in college ball. I don't remember him from the last few years.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

UMASS hung with them for 25 minutes. They have a senior center, Holloway, who they list as 6'11" 310lbs, I would bet he's closer to 375. Gotta be one of the biggest guys I've ever seen in college ball. I don't remember him from the last few years.

yep he is huge, CG can hide behind him.

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Dayton finally saw Davis get involved .. while he scored 12, he was still 4-for-13 shooting, 3-of-9 from three.  This game, it was Crutcher, Davis and Landers, with very little from Cunningham and Toppin.  Mikesell again a no show.  And again nothing from Cohill or Matos. 

Old Billiken Reynolds was Miles Reynolds.  Seventeen on the night but 13-of-14 from the stripe including a perfect six-for-six down the stretch.  Yes, I'd take him for those final free throws in any game we are leading but elsewise, his game now is the same as it was three years ago ... two-of-five from the floor including nothing on a pair of threes, and no assists. 

Announcers singing his praises - missed the 1st one & never missed again

Some more A10 blown tires yesterday.  After going up 20, St. Joes lost to 1-and-4 Bill & Mare in Williamsburg on a buzzer beater layup.  Chuckie Brown continues his quest for A10 POY with 37 in that one.  Kimble had 18 and Bynum 12 but the other seven combined for 18 with only six off the bench led by Oliva's five.  Of their 57 shots, Brown and Kimble combined fro 39.  They seem to be who I thought they are.

Davidson easily downed Northeastern 78 to 69 behind Grady's 30.  Jon Axel added 16 and Brajkovic 12 --- two of their four subs are noted with "0" minutes played so they went in to get ovations for two starters at the end.  I still think Davidson is a two-man team.

Stony Brook stunned Rhodey at home 68 to 58. Langevine, Dowtin and Russell scored 15/11/11 while four-star recruit Jermaine Harris scored 4 in 14 minutes and did not have foul trouble.  Right now, he's no Carte'Are Gordon.

Geedubya waxed Manhattan 70 to 43.  Might have been Illinois transfer DJ Williams coming out party.  He led the Colonials with 16.  Another team that starts four guards; Manhattan had nary a player post double digit points.  Game was in Foggy Bottom.

Mason finished fourth in the Emerald Cost Class dropping to 2 and 5 in a 72 to 61 loss to Baylor.  And VCU needed OT to best Hofstra at Siegel  69 to 67.  Jenkins with 19, Vann with 16 and Evans with 13 with Evans making the winning shot with 30 seconds to go.  Hofstra then dribbled it off its leg, and fouled Jenkins with 7 seconds to go.  Jenkins missed the front of the one-and-one but Hofstra's last second three fell harmlessly short into the restricted area.

Davidson and VCU are both 5 and 1 as are we.  Fordham is 4 and 1; Duquesne is 3 and 1.  Break up the Rose Hill Rams!

Today, lots of crap ................. Duquesne (-12.5) hosts Umass-Lowell; Fordham (-14.5) hosts Alabama A&M; Richmond (-11) hosts Hampton and La Salle (0-6) plays Grand Canyon (3-5) out at the Wooden Legacy Classic.  Later this week, Davidson hosts old CUSA foe Charlotte, Richmond goes to Georgetown,  the Joeys host UI-Chicago,  Cansius (1-4) goes to Olean for the Bonnies (1-5) where someone has to win, VCU travels locally to face Old Dominion, Mason looks to get well hosting Morgan State, Geedubya hosts Vermont, and Brown is at Rhode Island.  Friday has two nice games when Dayton (4 and 2) hosts #15 Mississippi State (4 and 1) and Duquesne and Pitt have their annual crosstown rivalry game.  Besides us and Butler on Saturday, La Salle hosts Nova at the Palestra (can you say bloodbath?), Rhodey goes to Providence, and Temple goes to Hawk Hill to face the Joeys.  Bring on December.

^Thanks for the rundown / state of the conference report. 

Still really early, but so far it's looking like SLU, VCU, Dayton and Davidson will be jockeying for the top with a very steep drop off to everyone else. 

I was mistaken on my previous post about LaSalle's road to 0-8. Northwestern & GCU hadn't been posted to their schedule yet, I think because they were on the back end of the Wooden Classic so hadn't been determined. It looks like GCU - who is their only chance to avoid 0-8 - is favored today. So the possibility of 0-10 is now very real with Bucknell and Penn still following Villanova. 

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'd agree with the above that UD (surprise team so far), VCU, Davidson, and SLU are the viable contenders right now. I expect we'll have some closer games against VCU and UD than we thought in the pre season. 

Even with the bad loss, I’m sure St. Joes will be a factor although unlikely to be a real threat to win the A-10.

Sundays results ---- Duquesne and Fordham held serve.  Beating Umass-Lowell and Alabama A&M at home wasn't that tough a task.  The Mike Lewis II mystery at  Duquesne continues -- he started, played 18 minutes but was 0-for-5 from the floor, 0-of-4 from three, had no rebounds, no assists and the only positive was one steal.  Is the kid on the way out of Pittsburgh?  Will he leave as Jordair Jett did at SLU (inside joke for some of you newbies).  He didn't sign with Dambrot, y'know.  Hampton smoked Richmond by 20 at 86 to 66  in Robbins.  Jacob Gilyard did not play -- I watched him injure his knee against Loyola down in Ft. Myers last week.  In addition, Nick Sherrod played only 14 minutes, no fouls and no points.  Injured as well.   And La Salle remains winless, taking eight (last) place at the Wooden Legacy Classic with an 82 to 70 loss to Grand Canyon. 

Elsewhere, if you do want to look ahead (or behind) Seton Hall beat Miami of Florida 83 to 81.  Villanova, torched at home by Michigan and Furman, beat Florida State 66 to 60.  Houston is undefeated at 4 and 0.  Butler's sole loss against five wins is the Dayton game.  Florida State and Oregon State are 5 and 1. 

On the down side, NC Central is 2 and 5.  SIU is 3 and 3.  And App State is 1 and 4. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Elsewhere, if you do want to look ahead (or behind) Seton Hall beat Miami of Florida 83 to 81.  V

Miami is top 25 according to Kenpom.  Makes the SH win look better. 

A10 according to Sagarin

76  Davidson                =  78.79  5 1 72.76( 148)

78  Dayton                  =  78.59  4 2 74.52( 100)

81  VCU(Va. Commonwealth)   =  78.19  5 1 70.90( 197)

87  Saint Joseph's-Pa.      =  77.59  3 3 74.35( 106)

109  Saint Louis             =  76.33  5 1 66.52( 314)

131  Rhode Island            =  74.66  2 2 70.84( 199)

135  Massachusetts           =  74.32  4 3 65.63( 325)

137  Duquesne                =  74.22  4 1 70.71( 206)

196  George Mason            =  69.63  2 5 71.20( 187)

212  St. Bonaventure         =  68.39  1 5 70.36( 218)

222  Fordham                 =  67.87  4 1 60.49( 351)

225  George Washington       =  67.39  1 5 75.39( 83)

241  Richmond                =  66.68  2 4 66.03( 323)

265  La Salle                =  65.17  0 7 77.45( 46)

previous opponents

55  Seton Hall              =  81.96  4 2 75.95( 74)

94  Pittsburgh              =  77.18  6 0 61.62( 348)

Upcoming opponents

18  Florida State           =  87.49  5 1 76.78( 57)

22  Butler                  =  86.55  5 1 74.08( 108)

33  Houston                 =  84.69  4 0 58.68( 352)

146  Southern Illinois       =  73.69  3 3 72.14( 161)