Around the A10 Composite

Taj79

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

You know Abraham Lincoln had a habit of when he would get really angry at somebody he would write a letter to them, sit on it a few days and then feel better so he would end up throwing it away.  Perhaps you should adopt that but with everything you post.  Just sit on it a few days, if you think it's still a good point, post it then.  

Gameday threads will be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Stop trying to justify the A10 as a high major. No one outside of the A10 thinks highly of this conference. It’s just a fact. A10 is never feared by any p5 opponent. Yes every year they have a few good teams that can hang with the big boys but the conference as a whole screams mid major. 

You know you can say the same thing about the bottom feeders in the P5 conferences.  They are P5 caliber in name only.  Any conference who consistently gets multiple bids is a high major and the A10 qualifies.  

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You know you can say the same thing about the bottom feeders in the P5 conferences.  They are P5 caliber in name only.  Any conference who consistently gets multiple bids is a high major and the A10 qualifies.  

You are right. How DePaul remains in the Big East makes no sense to me. I am not hating on SLU obviously but like it’s been said thousands of times we need to leave the conference. I want the Big East but i could settle for the American. It only helps our recognition. A lot of people here live in the A10 bubble but fans of the p5 programs probably can’t match 5 teams in the A10. 

The A10 is back tonight as we ramp up Thanksgiving Week.  Bonaventure is at Georgia State (-4) tonight.  Georgia State comes in at 2 and 1.  Arkansas -Pine Bluff, with one of the coolest emblems I've ever seen, goes to Umass (-16.5).  Unfortuantely, the Golden Lions are again off to an 0 - 3 record as they move around the world as a major 'buy' game.  If you ever get to the arm pit of the States, Pine Bluff, Arkansas, check out the campus.  Shocking. 

There are two good games tonight as Richmond (+7) plays Loyola of Chicago in the Ft. Myers, FL, Tip-Off and VCU (+3) tangles with Temple at the Barclays in the GotPrint.Com Legends Classic.  Temple is 4 and 0 and the Rams come in 3 and 0.  Loyola and Richmond both sport a loss; Loyola has one more win at 3 and 1.  Those can be some real classic, contrasting and mimicking styles when all is said and done there.  Richmond game is on Fox Sports.1 @ 6:30 pm EST.

I follow the A10 more than most and frankly have no allegiance to it other than its where my team currently plays.  As a conference, I have a hard time considering it anything other than the epitome of 'mid-major.'  I know the conference has received three bids or so for a while but so what?  I think that is more reflective on teams being good for a few years with class and coach stability.  Us a few years back.  Ditto Dayton.  VCU.  Recently Rhode Island.  But those are cyclical runs as now counter-evidenced by our dark age, Daytons' down, VCU's down, Rhodey is stepping back some and so on.  It is this revolving door that makes it as mid as can be.  And then the bottom feeders are indeed bottom feeders.  La Salle.  Fordham.  Duquesne.  George Washington.  Mason.  Sure -- every once in a blue moon something good happens.  Law of averages I guess.  There just seem to be more yo-yo programs in the A10 than some others but that's me ... not a lock-solid bet.  But whoever said there are bottom feeders in the P5 leagues is right.  I think the Big East is riding a nice Nova-induced wave into the P6 but feel they have to maintain that or they will drop suddenly.  And I really don't care.  If we start some sort of run in the A10 that Travis can maintain, they'll be looking for us.  We punched the Hall in the mouth.  We were the more physical team.  Screw the A10, give me more of that SLU.

Davidson will only go as far as Grady and Gudmundsson take them.  Not enough in my book.  Ditto St. Joe's with Kimble and Brown.  That's what I see so far.  Dayton has hope.  VCU has hope.  Two programs with undying fan bases. Buildign some early season momentum.  The rest go back to the drawing board for now. 

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I follow the A10 more than most and frankly have no allegiance to it other than its where my team currently plays.  As a conference, I have a hard time considering it anything other than the epitome of 'mid-major.'  I know the conference has received three bids or so for a while but so what?  I think that is more reflective on teams being good for a few years with class and coach stability.  Us a few years back.  Ditto Dayton.  VCU.  Recently Rhode Island.  But those are cyclical runs as now counter-evidenced by our dark age, Daytons' down, VCU's down, Rhodey is stepping back some and so on.  It is this revolving door that makes it as mid as can be.  And then the bottom feeders are indeed bottom feeders.  La Salle.  Fordham.  Duquesne.  George Washington.  Mason.  Sure -- every once in a blue moon something good happens.  Law of averages I guess.  There just seem to be more yo-yo programs in the A10 than some others but that's me ... not a lock-solid bet.  But whoever said there are bottom feeders in the P5 leagues is right.  I think the Big East is riding a nice Nova-induced wave into the P6 but feel they have to maintain that or they will drop suddenly.  And I really don't care.  If we start some sort of run in the A10 that Travis can maintain, they'll be looking for us.  We punched the Hall in the mouth.  We were the more physical team.  Screw the A10, give me more of that SLU.

-interesting criteria but why does it matter what teams are getting the bids as long as multiple conference members are getting bids? 

cheeseman likes this

46 minutes ago, Old guy said:

In my opinion there is only one factor, at least so far, that separates the real top schools from the rest, that is the number of one and dones they sign in every year. This makes a few of the schools (Duke, Kentucky, etc...) to be like a small elite club.

That is not the only way to be a top program. Schools like Virginia and Wisconsin have done very well with players who stay for 3 or 4 years. 

I want to be in the same room with moy and bomb ----- no matter the ticket price!

As for Cowboy's question, I said, that's just me.  The conference getting three bids a year doesn't do much for me in terms of elevating it above mid-major status.  I, for one, am not so sure the American is that far above mid-major status but they do have consistent, recently-storied programs in Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, Uconn, Wichita State and Temple.  But how far does South Florida, East Carolina and Tulane drag the overall conference down?

The A10 hasn't really recovered from the loss of Xavier and Butler; Davidson reminds me of Goliath --- the nice little southern program that could.  Mason, Penn and Bradley (of the MVC) were the forerunners of Loyola ---- none have sniffed those heights before and (NEWSFLASH) neither will Porter and company again.  Just saying ---- a P5 or P6 inclusion comes as a body of work and consistency by most teams in the conference ---- I don't see that in the A10 and right now, that includes us.

1 minute ago, Compton said:

LaSalle has a pretty smooth path to an 0-8 start. They're already 0-4 and coming up have Miami, Villanova, Bucknell (who beat the Bonnie's by 3) and Penn (who beat George Mason by 1 and also beat Northern Iowa).

Great 2 games we should get to see some Thor minutes.

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

As for Cowboy's question, I said, that's just me.  The conference getting three bids a year doesn't do much for me in terms of elevating it above mid-major status.  I, for one, am not so sure the American is that far above mid-major status but they do have consistent, recently-storied programs in Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, Uconn, Wichita State and Temple.  But how far does South Florida, East Carolina and Tulane drag the overall conference down?

Difference is USF and ECU bring huge money from football...although ECU needs to right the ship before they lose their massive fan base. I'm a Tulane grad and have no idea how the hell we got into the AAC. 

I think it would be amazing if AAC would bring in SLU+Army for football. But to be honest SLU's biggest asset is geography. VCU/Mason/Buffalo/UMASS/Liberty all bring the big flagship type of campus that the AAC needs, already have too many small privates (Tulane, Tulsa, SMU). Even Dayton would get in over SLU on basketball performance. 

If Ford could get SLU to the tourny for a few years in a row, maybe SLU finds itself a more fitting new home after the next realignment (Big12 contract ending). Trips to Memphis, New Orleans, Wichita, Cincy, etc have to be preferable to A-10.  Also baseball would be big improvement and I think AAC has better men's soccer. 

1 hour ago, Ruski said:

Difference is USF and ECU bring huge money from football...although ECU needs to right the ship before they lose their massive fan base. I'm a Tulane grad and have no idea how the hell we got into the AAC. 

I think it would be amazing if AAC would bring in SLU+Army for football. But to be honest SLU's biggest asset is geography. VCU/Mason/Buffalo/UMASS/Liberty all bring the big flagship type of campus that the AAC needs, already have too many small privates (Tulane, Tulsa, SMU). Even Dayton would get in over SLU on basketball performance. 

If Ford could get SLU to the tourny for a few years in a row, maybe SLU finds itself a more fitting new home after the next realignment (Big12 contract ending). Trips to Memphis, New Orleans, Wichita, Cincy, etc have to be preferable to A-10.  Also baseball would be big improvement and I think AAC has better men's soccer. 

You’re underestimating market size and facilities. SLU very attractive on both points. 

5 hours ago, Ruski said:

Dayton would get in over SLU for its overall athletics portfolio. That is more important than a lot of people want to believe.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dayton would get in over SLU for its overall athletics portfolio. That is more important than a lot of people want to believe.

In some regard you have a point but X will never let Dayton in.  Also as far as the league goes, they already have that market area with X.  Dayton brings nothing to the table in regards to the TV package and the TV package is where the money is.  St. Louis opens an entirely new market for the BE.