Around the A10 Composite

Taj79

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The A10's chance to make some hay this OOC took two hits last night as the Joey's lost to Central Florida and Davidson got hammered by #23 Purdue.  UCF is picked to win the American Conference and be a NCAA team.  Tacko Fall is huge.  Johnny Dawkins doing a nice job down there to mimic the football team success.  More importantly, from a SLU perspective, this game showed me just what I expect with the Joeys.  Lamar Kimble was a no-show ----- 29 minutes, 0-of-5 shooting, fiove turnovers.  Sure, Charlie Brown had 28; Charlie has been above 20 in each game this season.  Taylor Funk was #2 with 16, but the rest of the team, 8 guys including Kimble, sent off for 13 points with only one from bench players.  I was surprised at the ease of their 3 -0 start but that was competition like we've played and all at home (except Wake).  But Wake made methink they were for real; UCF takesme back to where I was.  Kimble and Brown are a two-man show, stop one and you win and don't let any ofthe role players step into the breach.

Davidson also lost getting hammered by #23 Purdue.  Last night, against Wichita, Man #2 (Gudmundsson) went wild scoring 33 and Davidson eked out a win.  He followed that with a 7 point effort.  Last night Man #1 (Grady) had 18; against the Shockers 2.  Another two-man team that can be stopped.  I think brianmentioned their freshman big Brajkovic as a possible and said his iff night against Wichita was due to facing a senior in McDuffie.  Well, Purdue stuffed him as well ----  two points in 18 minutes and no foul trouble.  Outside of sophomore Carter Collins off the bench, Davidson has nothing right now.  Unless that improves, I think they might have been slightly overrated based  on Grady alone.

The rest did as expected.  Dayton came back at home in the second half to beat Purdue Fort Wayne.  Josh Cunningham is back and scored 20.  Florida International was 3 and 0 but went into Rose Hill and lost to Fordham. Fordham's 5'10" freshman Nick Honor is off to a hot start and averaging 20 ppg.  Richmond put away IUPUI by8 in Richmond.  Rhodey won a squeaker over Harvard 76 to 74.  Dowtin, russell and Langevine combined for 64 points.  Their bench had  2.  Four-star freshman Harris only 2 in nine minutes.

On the downside, Umass lost at home to Howard 68 to 63.  Howard led the whole game until Umass went on a run and closed to within 3 late.  But Howard (4 -0) had every answer.  Pipkins led Umass with 18.

Michigan handled GW, 84-61. No surprise there.

Duquesne rallied to beat Radford 69-64. Not exactly a signature win, but they fought back and they're now 3-0.

Fordham beat Youngstown State, 67-61. They're 3-1 now, 2-1 vs. D-I teams, and the loss is to Houston Baptist.

La Salle lost to crosstown rival Drexel, 89-84. I know they've got a new coach this year but they're 0-4 and Miami (Wooden Legacy in Fullerton) is next. Then they'll get Northwestern/Fresno State, followed by Seton Hall/Grand Canyon/Utah/Hawaii. I'm not sure I see a win happening for them out there, and then they come back to Philly to play Villanova, followed by Bucknell and Penn. Alabama A&M on 12/21 might legitimately be their next real shot at a non-conference win. They could be 1-11 or 2-10 heading into A-10 play and 3 wins probably means they stole one somewhere. Brutal schedule for a new coach.

George Mason got in the W column with a 69-65 victory over Southern. Southern is 0-4 and plays in one of the weakest conferences in D-I. It's the kind of game you'd hope was a confidence boosting blowout, but instead it was a nail-biter at home. I know SLU has not blown any buy teams out, either, but we're also 4-0 and not 1-3.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

@Taj79are you keeping track? How many 'signature' wins does the A10 have, over P6 or Top 25 teams?  Davidson took down Wake (1) and we took out Seton Hall (2).  Did I miss any?

(I meant this to be on the A10 thread.  How about putting a response there Taj.)

I think St joes over witchita counts 

@Hoosier --- ---- but if you are counting Wake, that was St. Joe's beating them by 20 earlier this week.  Davidson got handled by Purdue and now plays Northeastern (+1.5) while the Joeys play West Virginia (-8).  Geeduby agot hammered by Michigan and today plays Suth Carolina.

This week, we have Pitt.  Richmond host Loyola of Chicago (not P6 but Final Four team).  VCU hosts Temple.  Duquesne goes to Notre dame.  Dayton goes to Butler at Atlantis.  La Salle goes to Miami of Florida.  Mason to Cincinnati.  Of special note, Umass will be at Carbondale this week too.  An interesting measuring stick as well.

No team in the A10 has a better lineup than Seton Hall besides SLU. 

Teams like Davidson have 1 to 2 players that make all the points. We have the best defense and will completely shut them out. 

We will have a tracker of 20 point blowouts by SLU in the A10 this year. I predict a few 30’s in the lower part of the league 

18 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Teams like Davidson have 1 to 2 players that make all the points. We have the best defense and will completely shut them out. 

We will have a tracker of 20 point blowouts by SLU in the A10 this year. I predict a few 30’s in the lower part of the league 

Do you ever get tired of making wildly ridiculous statements? 

AGB91 likes this

26 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Just like the bad Troy and north Alabama teams right