Around the A10 Composite

Taj79

Friday 11/09 shows the A10 has six games on tap:  Davidson (-19) hosts Dartmouth; St.Joe's (-3) hosts Old Dominion and the rest have no lines.  Longwood opens at Richmond.  Hampton is at VCU.  American is at Mason.  And New Hampshire is at Umass.  Opening nights for Richmond, St. Joe's and New Hampshire.  The game I might like to watch is Southern Illinois at Kentucky, however.

Go Lady Soccer Bills!!!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After falling behind by 12, Davidson went on an 11 - 0 run to win by three.  With 4.7 on the clock, Grady launched an expiring shot clock three and was fouled.  And it was a foul.  Dartmouth's final shot with 2.7 to go was deflected into the air and the clock expired.

Davidson is who i thought they'd be ---- an inside-out team that starts four guards and plays with five at times.  Dartmouth made 15 threes and was like 9 of 10 from the line.  But they faded and choked at the end.  Gudmundsson went left more times than not.  Brajkovic is a Euro-big and had a severe height advantage on Dartmouth.  Grady only had five at half and still finished with 23.  Gudmundsson had a career high 24.  Frampton did nothign, neither did Pritchett.  They got nine off the bench with freshman guard Collins.  You have to respect Davidson's outside shooting all over the place and this leaves the lanes open to drives by the Davidson guards.  Davidson shot 4-of-18 from distance.

Mason is in overtime at home with American.  Longwood beat Richmond in Richmond.  Umas laid 100+ on New Hampshire.  VCU is up ten on Hampton under 5.

GBL_Bills likes this

9 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Hope we are ready to win the conference tournament 

It’s not that bad yet but it underscores the importance of us doing really well in non conference play. In some ways that will be viewed as more important than how we do in the a-10.

Mason really is not living up to having everyone back. Reuter was okay with 9 but Mar threw up a zero.  he played but I don't know if he went down with an injury.  I was watching Davidson.  Mason got great mileage from Wilson and Green off the bench, two sophomores.   I liked Wilson's game --- a 6'7" jumping jack.  Otis had a double-double with 10 points and 10 assists.  Mason struggled from deep going 4-of-18.

Up in Philly, the Fightin' Martellis beat Old Dominion by 15.  Their four-star point guard Bynum is small and his shot is somewhat of a set shot like the old days.  He uses speed to beat you off his dribble.  I'd force Kimble to shoot first --- he scored most of his stuff off drives.  Charlie Brown is back and looked good after some opening night early jitters.  This too is a Davidson like team ----- Funk, Longpre and Olivo are not going to play down low, they are going to prowl the perimeter and rely on kick outs when Kimble and Bynum drive.  Bynum and Kimble started along with Funk, Brown and Longpre.  Olivo and Clover are the bench for Phil.  Again, one silly injury and Martelli's rotation will get skewed.

Might as well make this a College basketball news instead of another thread

Anyways I think this is the year where the Mizzou recruiting streak stops. They just got dominated by Iowa st who has been looking at a lot of STL prospects recently. They may struggle to remain .500 this year. Mark Smith is a 180 from Illinois is killing it and JT hasnt done anything to help much. This is good for the Billikens and 2019 and 2020 should be for our choosing. Mizzou has nothing on us now. 

Loyola just got beat by furman and might not get an at large bid now

39 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Might as well make this a College basketball news instead of another thread

Anyways I think this is the year where the Mizzou recruiting streak stops. They just got dominated by Iowa st who has been looking at a lot of STL prospects recently. They may struggle to remain .500 this year. Mark Smith is a 180 from Illinois is killing it and JT hasnt done anything to help much. This is good for the Billikens and 2019 and 2020 should be for our choosing. Mizzou has nothing on us now. 

Loyola just got beat by furman and might not get an at large bid now

To be fair Mizzou is down their best three of their top 5 players (Jontay, Dru Smith, and Santos). 

Also, their number one target for 2020 is Joshua Christopher, a top 10 player from California who took an official visit a few weeks ago.

it will be interesting to watch the local recruiting if we have a good season and start getting more attention. I think that we can win the local recruiting, but Mizzou will still be there, and they play in the SEC with better competition, which you can’t deny. Hoping that we can take advantage of this year though. 

The weekend was the weekend in the A10.  Dayton crushed Coppin State at home.  Still no Josh Cunningham.  Obi Toppin continues to shine but the Eagles let Ryan Mikesell go off for 18.  The Bonnies crushed Jackson State at home.  UNLV transfer Jaylen Poser scored 23.  Kyle Lofton went for 18 but Courtney Stockard remains out.  Duquesne had an easy time with Bill & Mare, but were led by 6'10" freshman Austin Rotroff and 6'8" sophomore Michael Hughes.  Mike Lewis II was a no-show with 5 points and no assists.  Mizzou transfer Frankie Hughes played as much as Lewis who had no fouls.  VCU beat On the downside, Virginia smoked GeeDubya by about 20 but Illini transfer DJWilliams led the Colonials with 17.  Fordham went down to Houston and lost by three to Houston Baptists.  The biggest surprise was La Salle losing at home to Lafayette where Alex Petrie sank a game-tying layup with 10 second to go, was fouled, and converted the three point play.  Pookie Powell (26 pts) missed a three at the buzzer for La Salle at Gola.

Today, 0-2 Monmouth is at the Joeys (-15).  The Bonnies (-5) open Niagara's season in Niagara Falls.  VCU (-7.5) hosts Bowling Green (1 - 1) and Duquesne (-5) hosts Illinois-Chicago (0-2).  Tuesday has some interesting matchups and that's not us and North Alabama.  Rhode island (1 - 0) is at the College of Charleston (2 - 0); Harvard (1 - 1)comes to Umass (2 -0); and the 0 - 2 Masons go to Georgia Southern (1 - 0).

Just some notes .....

St. Joe's and VCU covered.  The Bonnies and Duquesne did not but only the Bonnies lost.

I got another long look at the Joeys.  St. Joe's will go as far as Brown and Kimble take them.  Brown played five minutes with two fouls and two points in the first half.  He finished with 21.  Kimble will have the ball in his hands at the end of every game.  Creator and foul shooter, still has not shown a reliable outside shot.  The rest are just supporting pieces.  First game it was Oliva.  Last night it was Markell Lodge.  Some night it will be Funk, then Longpre. 

From what I saw, VCU mugged Bowling Green at Siegel, where they get away with a lot.  It looked a lot like HAVOC was back.  But VCU is very small.  Santos-Silva was hindered with fouls.  Sean Mobley, who started last year, played zero.  Michael Gilmore isn't much better than his first go around at VCU.  Vince Williams is a decent looking freshman at 6'6" but the rest are all interchangeable and VCU went with five guards many times.  Marcus Evans is back and playing after Achilles injury and had 12 in 17 minutes.  Guy is smooth,  Only 27% from three.for the Rams and they chucked 29 of them; half of their floor shots were from three.  Gilmore was o for 3 from three .. and he';s a big man.  He was three of four within range.  Evans truly makes them go.

Didn't get to see the Bonnies but they continue to struggle without Stockard.  La Darein Griffin also did not play Don't know why.  This has allowed Afrikaaners Ngalakulonid and Osunnuyi a chance to play.  Each dropped 14 in the loss last night.  Niagara rules western NY.

I did watch the Duquesne game for sometime.  What a freaking helter-skelter match.  Cannot believe Illinois-Chicago lost that one; they were in control all night and up 13 with just over 8 to play.  Sincere Carry (I'd shoot my wife if she suggested such a name for my son) went off for 32 in his second college game.  Carry is a 6'1" point guard.  Duquesne launched 36 threes and made a third of them.  UIC launched 26 of them.  My first look at Duquesne and I think Dambrot is moving off from who he did not recruit -- namely Eric Williams and Mike Lewis II.  Lewis started but had no points until late in the second half.  Seven points with one assist.  Williams ended up as second leader with 18 points but he was not as involved as Carry put up 20 shots.  The Dukes were down 11 at half and the second half turned into a run-and-chuck game.  On both ends.  Four-star big man Gavin Bizeau got four minutes.  Another freshman guard Lamar Norman scored 11 and it was he and Carry who essentially relegated Lewis to the bench.  It's one game, but it appears Duquesne MO will be run-and-gun-and-we-dare-you-to-outscore us.  UIC was up two with the ball and 11 seconds to go only to see Carry strip his man and score a tying layup as regulation expired.  It was a madhouse at the Palumbo Duct Center late.

Tonight, Rhode Island is at Charleston (-1.5).  Should be a nice early season test for Cox and company.  Mason tries to get off the schneid at Georgia Southern (-5).  Harvard is at Umass (-3.5) as it continue sits tour of its own backyard.  Harvard beat MIT and lost to Northeastern.  And then there is us and North Alabama with no lien available (still).

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Just some notes .....

I did watch the Duquesne game for sometime.  What a freaking helter-skelter match.  Cannot believe Illinois-Chicago lost that one; they were in control all night and up 13 with just over 8 to play.  Sincere Carry (I'd shoot my wife if she suggested such a name for my son) went off for 32 in his second college game.  Carry is a 6'1" point guard.  Duquesne launched 36 threes and made a third of them.  UIC launched 26 of them.  My first look at Duquesne and I think Dambrot is moving off from who he did not recruit -- namely Eric Williams and Mike Lewis II.  Lewis started but had no points until late in the second half.  Seven points with one assist.  Williams ended up as second leader with 18 points but he was not as involved as Carry put up 20 shots.  The Dukes were down 11 at half and the second half turned into a run-and-chuck game.  On both ends.  Four-star big man Gavin Bizeau got four minutes.  Another freshman guard Lamar Norman scored 11 and it was he and Carry who essentially relegated Lewis to the bench.  It's one game, but it appears Duquesne MO will be run-and-gun-and-we-dare-you-to-outscore us.  UIC was up two with the ball and 11 seconds to go only to see Carry strip his man and score a tying layup as regulation expired.  It was a madhouse at the Palumbo Duct Center late.

Tonight, Rhode Island is at Charleston (-1.5).  Should be a nice early season test for Cox and company.  Mason tries to get off the schneid at Georgia Southern (-5).  Harvard is at Umass (-3.5) as it continue sits tour of its own backyard.  Harvard beat MIT and lost to Northeastern.  And then there is us and North Alabama with no lien available (still).

Carry appears to be the best Duquesne PG since the one who transferred to Arizona and currently plays for the 76ers. Let's hope this one stays with the Dukes.

George Mason was the trendy A10 pick for a lot of people heading into this season and so far has lost close ones to Penn and American, and could very well be 0-3 later tonight. Woof.

The conference losses all look pretty bad right now:

GW: Stony Brook, Siena, Virginia

La Salle: Temple, Lafayette

GMU: Penn, American

Richmond: Longwood

St. Bona: Bucknell, Niagara

Fordham: Houston Baptist

Okay, so they don't all look like bad losses, but most of those are bad losses and taken as a whole, it's a rocky start, especially given the narrowness of many of the wins. Anyway, there is an opportunity for three solid wins tonight, so let's hope our peers grab all three.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The conference losses all look pretty bad right now:

GW: Stony Brook, Siena, Virginia

La Salle: Temple, Lafayette

GMU: Penn, American

Richmond: Longwood

St. Bona: Bucknell, Niagara

Fordham: Houston Baptist

Okay, so they don't all look like bad losses, but most of those are bad losses and taken as a whole, it's a rocky start, especially given the narrowness of many of the wins. Anyway, there is an opportunity for three solid wins tonight, so let's hope our peers grab all three.

-there are some pukefest names on this list and some of these games were on A10 courts, if I'm not mistaken