GDT vs Southeast Missouri State

7 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I notice that Ingvi Gudmundsson didn't get any time.  While the greater likelihood is that the margin had dwindled so much that there was no "garbage time" to allow Coach Ford to get him in, I also wonder if there's any thought to giving him a redshirt year.  (I know it's just one game.)

How many games do they get before that option? 3? 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I notice that Ingvi Gudmundsson didn't get any time.  While the greater likelihood is that the margin had dwindled so much that there was no "garbage time" to allow Coach Ford to get him in, I also wonder if there's any thought to giving him a redshirt year.  (I know it's just one game.)

We only had 10 healthy players, so I don't think we have the luxury of redshirting him. If he improves during practice and shows that he can be a reliable shooter, we may be able to use him in small stretches during the season, so I wouldn't redshirt him.

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

How many games do they get before that option? 3? 

I know they recently changed the rule in football, so kids can play the maximum number of games allowed to still redshirt at any point in the season. I think it is 4 games, so in theory teams could have held a true freshman out until now and unleashed him for the end of the season while maintaining the redshirt year.

i think with the gained use of the graduate transfer, the need to redshirt underclassmen will continue to become less and less used.    We develop a player and then because they had an additional year of schooling they are then able to leave and go elsewhere their senior season without a penalty.

also, i have never been an advocate of the redshirt to development sakes.   if a player isnt good enough and there is question if he ever will be, you dont want to be saddled with that player on your roster any longer than you have to. 

before the usual suspects scream out scholarships are one year and we can always not renew a scholarship if it isnt working out.   that's true, but i have always maintained that "cutting" a player is not good for the program reputation wise.   if a coach recruited that player, i believe that coach has some responsibility to coach that player up to the best of that players ability.   the coach undoubtedly alluded to promises of playing and contributing and promising parents the coach would take care of them, etc.   finish the job.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think with the gained use of the graduate transfer, the need to redshirt underclassmen will continue to become less and less used.    We develop a player and then because they had an additional year of schooling they are then able to leave and go elsewhere their senior season without a penalty.

also, i have never been an advocate of the redshirt to development sakes.   if a player isnt good enough and there is question if he ever will be, you dont want to be saddled with that player on your roster any longer than you have to. 

before the usual suspects scream out scholarships are one year and we can always not renew a scholarship if it isnt working out.   that's true, but i have always maintained that "cutting" a player is not good for the program reputation wise.   if a coach recruited that player, i believe that coach has some responsibility to coach that player up to the best of that players ability.   the coach undoubtedly alluded to promises of playing and contributing and promising parents the coach would take care of them, etc.   finish the job.  

But in some players' cases, the coaches can see the potential, but they might not be physically ready or may need to adapt to a different nature of the game.  That would particularly be so for international players who didn't prep in the U.S.