GDT vs Southeast Missouri State

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there, attendance was not great but it was much better than for the exhibition games. I know we were expected to win by a margin of 17 to 20  and we won the game by a margin of only 10. From my point of view, it was like they played reasonably well for the first three quarters and then, in the last quarter, they stopped doing so. Suddenly their shots were not scoring, I am pretty certain that the rebounding decreased significantly in the last quarter, and they had all kinds of trouble with FTs. I will not contest the statements other members have made about Isabell, but how about Goodwin, he played worse in the last quarter, seemingly much more out of control than the way he had played for the initial 3 quarters. 

Whatever.

It turned out to be a not very pretty game, particularly the last quarter, BUT we still won. A win is a win. In my opinion, we did not look like a top team in this last game, but we won. Now for the next one Saturday, let's hope they do better.

51 minutes ago, joe_davola said:

He better show something soon.  He's basically 5'2", doesn't play defense and can't hit a wide open three to save his life.  

His FTs were horrendous.

Lol

The only guy that beat us tonight was the one guarded by Goodwin and Bess. But Isabell was playing bad defense 🤷🏻‍♂️

Zink and majerus mojo like this

Not a very pretty second half. Shooting needs to get better. I was happy to see Wiley get some buckets, as it hadn’t really happened in the exhibition games. 

Still, a win is a win. Take it and get better as the season progresses. 

Finally, had the SEMO power hoosier versions of @billikenfan05 a row or two behind me. That was interesting.

All is good we probably played our worse game of the year and we won. Isabell is a highly ranked GT his career numbers prove  he will shoot better, we probably saw Gordon’s worse game we are very Thankful for DJ being on our team, JGood will have better games and French will consistently score more than 2 points.

@The Wiz waiting 8 games to predict the season makes more sense than getting down on the team for a less than average performance in the opener.

i will give a shout out to the our opponent you left everything on our court last night and never gave up and made it a game you have my respect.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

The two things I hated the most:

1. The idiot about ten rows behind our bench screaming during all our free throws. 

2. That people actually laughed when Gus announced that checking in for SEMO was “a bunch of guys”. Terrible. 

This may have aggravated you, but it was two visitors from SEMO that where just having a good time at a college basketball game. Too bad

more over our fans can't get more vocal during the game. ( Think 05).

7 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Lol

The only guy that beat us tonight was the one guarded by Goodwin and Bess. But Isabell was playing bad defense 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, probably the worst game I've seen Goodwin play, forcing shots, stupid fouls, too much dribbling....not worried, he was just over hyped last night....that said, they have to pound the ball inside, no excuse not too........

18 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

This may have aggravated you, but it was two visitors from SEMO that where just having a good time at a college basketball game. Too bad

more over our fans can't get more vocal during the game. ( Think 05).

I should clarify...  what annoyed me more is that our fans and Chaifetz staff around them didn’t seem to give a rat’s azz.  Before you say anything, no, you can’t physically stop them (an usher could check their tickets). But you can sure as hell give a little back to them.  But more power to those two guys for trying to help their team get back into the game.

Go to a game at VCU, Davidson, or URI and try that when they’re trying to ice the game with free throws. Let me know how it works out for you. Ford was annoyed. He glared up there multiple times. 

7 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Lol

Lazy defender.  Just because you don't get lit up doesn't mean you are playing good defense.  Eye test goes a long way.  

His court vision is incredibly poor as well.

Look, I know it's the first real game, but I was expecting more.  Hopefully it just takes more time to gel.  With that said, laziness on defense is not acceptable.  Not sure what game you were watching unless you just looked at the stat sheets.

Goodwin was not great either.

9 hours ago, almaman said:

or just shoot less 3's. If we can't make them go for layups, jams and other inside stuff. 10 3s kills 10 2s but 0 for 3s loses  games. we shot over 75% on non 3s. if we took 12 of the 21 goose egg 3s and shot that same % with a dozen 2s thats 18 points.

Except if you can’t hit 3’s it makes getting the ball inside much more difficult. If you don’t even attempt them it’s just extremely challenging to play an inside game. We don’t have to be a great 3 pt team, however we have to shoot enough to keep teams honest. 

I don’t mind the rough finish it gives Ford reason to go nuts, and should knock some of that preseason favorite thought out of their head. It’s D1 basketball guys. Upsets happen and they will kill your dreams. Better come to play every game and a full 40 every game. 

26 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Fingers crossed we play better against a better team we take seriously. Not winning by 20 and within 4 in the final min is a huge wake up call 

This coming from the same person who spent 24 hours trying to convince himself and everyone else the UMSL game shouldn’t have been taken seriously 

Our two brightest moments last year were our 1-3-1 zone and our bigs we truly ignored both of those things tonight. I’ve seen them use both in practice so I know they still intend to use it but why did we completely ignore the zone it especially when we were getting torn apart at the end? 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

I should clarify...  what annoyed me more is that our fans and Chaifetz staff around them didn’t seem to give a rat’s azz.  Before you say anything, no, you can’t physically stop them (an usher could check their tickets). But you can sure as hell give a little back to them.  But more power to those two guys for trying to help their team get back into the game.

Go to a game at VCU, Davidson, or URI and try that when they’re trying to ice the game with free throws. Let me know how it works out for you. Ford was annoyed. He glared up there multiple times. 

Accually I did give them a little, I was 4 rows behind them. Had a good time with it. Did you give a little back at them??

I spoke to them at half time and asked if they where having Fun.

They will go back to Cape G and tell people whata good time they had at the game. 

From the ‘things you don’t see everyday department’, I don’t recall ever seeing a lineup of five consecutive numbers. Could happen again this year, especially since Gordon is 5. Thought it was funny enough to snap a pic.

9661CE1E-66E3-4343-9CA1-7D637EE38A2C.jpeg

AGB91 and dlarry like this