Women's Billikens Basketball

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Frantz has had a heck of a senior year on the court, but this is even more impressive.

Good for her. I remember way back when I heard she was taking nursing and wondered if she would be really able to do both that and the basketball. Obviously she has succeeded. Very impressive.

Today is not the women's team's day. They're down 59-39 after the third quarter in Dayton.

This is the final regular season game. Maybe it'll end up being a splash of cold water before the conference tournament.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, Pistol said:

Follow-up on this: Not only was she named first-team all-state by two sources, she led her team to a 35-0 record and IL 4A state championship.

Zink likes this

On 3/2/2019 at 2:52 PM, Pistol said:

Dayton 73, SLU 57.

Harbison finished with 20 and has 442 points on the season, leaving her 3 points shy of the SLU freshman record.

SLU loss means they're the #6 seed and will face #11 Richmond at Chaitetz tomorrow (3/5) at 7pm.  SLU destroyed Richmond at Chaifetz on 2/17 78-48.  Hopefully they aren't overconfident and can take care of business again. 

Duquesne won their final game and Davidson lost making the Dukes the #3 seed.  Therefore, SLU will likely have to face them at Palumbo in round 2 (unless Rhody can pull an upset).  Not ideal, but like I posted before, SLU won earlier in the year at Palumbo.  Repeating that in the A10 tournament will be tough. 

Fordham is the #2 seed and would likely be the semi-final opponent if SLU gets that far.  SLU lost by 3 in both the home and road matchups against Fordham is this season.  I'd love for them to get a 3rd try at beating them.

I wonder if SLU has a chance at an NIT bid if they don't win the tournament.  WNIT is a 64 team field, so 128 teams make the NCAAs and NIT.  I'm not sure if the WNIT has a rule about having a winning record to make the field or not.  SLU needs at least 2 wins in the tournament to finish .500 and a finals run (3 wins) to finish above .500.  Last year they made the field with a 17-15 record going in, but their SOS might have been better.  It seems like a finals run might be enough for them to get WNIT consideration which would be the 4th year in a row if they made it.

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

SLU loss means they're the #6 seed and will face #11 Richmond at Chaitetz tomorrow (3/5) at 7pm.  SLU destroyed Richmond at Chaifetz on 2/17 78-48.  Hopefully they aren't overconfident and can take care of business again.

The game is on ESPN+ so I should be able to catch most of it. Really looking forward to it, and I fully expect them to take care of business.

Here's the full bracket.

A workmanlike victory, so to speak, over the Arachnids 58-49. Brooke Flowers was excellent on both ends. On to Pittsburgh.

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

Free Pappy's and a tank top. I might have to dig up my old student ID and make the trip...

Pappy’s. Not good enough. Might have been 20 students there. You would think these ladies would have that many boyfriends/ girlfriends. 

brianstl likes this

I watched on ESPN+ at home. Flowers was indeed great, with 14 and 15, and 3 blocked shots. It was a really streaky game. They were bad most of the first quarter, especially the first 7-8 minutes. Then they had a solid second quarter. Started the third a little slow and then put the game away - so it seemed - and then Richmond made it close again in the fourth.

Harbison had a bad game. She was the quickest player on the floor and showed flashes but her decision making was questionable, she wasn't getting good looks, and she finished 2-11 from the field. She did have 8 assists, a few nice dimes in there, but she had 6 turnovers and it honestly felt like more. She has a weird habit of dribbling straight into her defender or traffic. She was 3 points back from the all-time record for SLU freshmen, so with 4 points on the night - without going back and looking at every box score, I have to believe that's her season low - she still grabbed the record.

Duquesne beat Rhode Island, so now 6-seeded SLU will face the Tournament host and 3-seed at the Palumbo Center on Friday at 6:00 CST. This game is also on ESPN+.

It really was sad to see the students come in get their fill and leave. What I noticed was that a lot of students got food and sat in the 200s which isn't even open. It was as if the students were trying to disassociate themselves with being at the game, like they wanted to hide their shame in the dine and dash routine or something. lol

50 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It really was sad to see the students come in get their fill and leave. What I noticed was that a lot of students got food and sat in the 200s which isn't even open. It was as if the students were trying to disassociate themselves with being at the game, like they wanted to hide their shame in the dine and dash routine or something. lol

sad to hear that not much has changed about slu students apathy towards slu athletics.  at least you got more kids there then back in taj and my day.   we'd be lucky to have 5 guys in the student section to see the legendary david burns playing the likes of louisville or ucla.  

-good to get a win, keep it going

-we can't consistently get students to men's games, not sure what can be done to improve that or women's attendance, I'll go with we have a limited sports culture on campus

-I was looking for women's attendance for this season and could not find it but found for last season South Carolina had the largest average home attendance, I would have guessed UConn who came in second,  SVU was 50th in avg attendance with 2605 and we averaged 1729 -- the lowest I saw was Chicago St at 167

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

The only excuse I can think of is that it's midterms week.