Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
billiken bball

Women's Billikens Basketball

Recommended Posts

Bills lost by three on the road at Fordham last night.  Tough loss, but they really seem to be improving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Bills lost by three on the road at Fordham last night.  Tough loss, but they really seem to be improving.

The 4th quarter was crazy, the Billikens held Fordham under 10 points I think. Had a chance to tie and Jeffries and McMahan missed good looks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

The 4th quarter was crazy, the Billikens held Fordham under 10 points I think. Had a chance to tie and Jeffries and McMahan missed good looks

McMahan can't shoot. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, willie said:

 

For the most part you’re right. She is actually quite good pulling up inside the free throw line. Her shot was a more of a layup falling away from the basket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ladies above .500 in the league at 6-5 after defeating LaSalle. 5 games to go with 4 of them against the top of the league. 8-8 would be a good finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-another ROW award for Harbison, 5th consecutive and 9th time, this is amazing, Congrats young lady!!! great that she is not slowing down as the season progresses, I would guess with these awards she is 1st team all conference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's hitting 38.9% from three and 84.3% from the FT.  Ford needs to get her a uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the game program for yesterday's Lasalle game and I quote:

Ciaja Harbison was selected national Freshman of the Week by the U.S. Basketball Writer's Association for Jan. 28-Feb.3,  becoming the first SLU women's basketball player to earn a USBWA national honor.

(I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else but if so, here it is again.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big road win at the Dukies. Frantz had 24. Harrison with an unbelievable line, 18 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 6 steals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Big road win at the Dukies. Frantz had 24. Harrison with an unbelievable line, 18 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 6 steals.

So like @billikenbill said above, finishing .500 was a reasonable goal before this game, given that 4/5 remaining opponents were above them in the standings. So this is 1 of those 4 teams above them. Beat Richmond at home this weekend, and they will have guaranteed a .500 finish even if they lose out (@Davidson (8-2), vs. VCU (10-1), @Dayton (7-3)).

Frantz had 24 despite going 1-10 from 3.

Harbison has locked up the A10 Newcomer of the Year Award. No question. And Flowers will join her on the All-Newcomer team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harbison has also locked up 2nd team all-conference.  She's 2nd in scoring, 2nd in assists, 5th in free throw shooting and 7th in FG percentage. She could make 1st team depending on how the team finishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Big road win at the Dukies. Frantz had 24. Harrison with an unbelievable line, 18 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 6 steals.

Myia Clark had a really nice game as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a promising team.  Looking back over their schedule, they lost several close games early on that they probably would win now.  And they've lost two games to third-place Fordham by a combined six points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So like @billikenbill said above, finishing .500 was a reasonable goal before this game, given that 4/5 remaining opponents were above them in the standings. So this is 1 of those 4 teams above them. Beat Richmond at home this weekend, and they will have guaranteed a .500 finish even if they lose out (@Davidson (8-2), vs. VCU (10-1), @Dayton (7-3)).

Hopefully the rest of the A10 shakes out such that they finish 8th place or higher and get to host their 1st round A10 tournament game at Chaifetz rather than go on the road.  The A10 is so bunched up that a finish anywhere from 1st to 13th is technically possible, but the more likely they're somewhere between 5th and 11th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Big road win at the Dukies. Frantz had 24. Harrison with an unbelievable line, 18 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 6 steals.

Quite the game. Brooke Flowers also went for 10/9. 6-2 in their last 8. Sundays game on TV NBC Sports Network @ 2 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 12:50 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Harbison has also locked up 2nd team all-conference.  She's 2nd in scoring, 2nd in assists, 5th in free throw shooting and 7th in FG percentage. She could make 1st team depending on how the team finishes.

I don't think it is totally crazy to say that Harbison has a good case for A10 POY as a freshman.  I highly doubt she wins because I'd imagine there is some bias toward upperclassmen for the award and toward players on teams at the top of the league instead of middle of the pack.  However, her numbers are right there:

The good:

MIN/G - 36.9 4th in A10

PTS/G - 15.3 - 3rd in A10 - two ahead of her are 20.9 and 16.4 on teams that are at SLU's level or below

FG% - 43.5% - 9th in A10 - the two players ahead of her in PPG are 38.5% (22nd) and 35.2% (34th)

3PT% - doesn't have enough attempts to qualify, but would be 4th in A-10 at 37.8%

FT% - 84.3% - 4th in A10

AST/G - 4.5 tied for 1st in A10

STL/G - 1.5 tied for 10th in A10

REB/G - 3.8 42nd in A10 - still good for a guard

The bad:

TO/G - 3.9 4th in A10 - the 20.9 PPG player has 4.5/G and is 2nd in A10

Eyeballing the number's I'd say the front runner for POY is Davidson's Soph. PG Katie Turner has similar numbers to Harbison (slightly lower scoring and rebounding), but with a lot fewer TOs.  The fact that Davidson has a better record boosts her case as well.  VCU is the top team, but I don't see anyone on VCU whose stats jump out.

I think both Frantz and Flowers should get postseason recognition as well.  Hopefully SLU finishes strong to boost all of their chances.

Edit: Here is the link to the A10 stats page: http://a10stats.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/leaders?DB_OEM_ID=31600.  I hadn't realized before how impressive Harbison's numbers are compared to her peers.  Previously I was looking at her numbers (%s in particular) in the context of men's stats which doesn't really work / makes Harbison look not as good.  

Edited by RUBillsFan
Added link to A10 stats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't think it is totally crazy to say that Harbison has a good case for A10 POY as a freshman.  I highly doubt she wins because I'd imagine there is some bias toward upperclassmen for the award and toward players on teams at the top of the league instead of middle of the pack.  However, her numbers are right there:

The good:

MIN/G - 36.9 4th in A10

PTS/G - 15.3 - 3rd in A10 - two ahead of her are 20.9 and 16.4 on teams that are at SLU's level or below

FG% - 43.5% - 9th in A10 - the two players ahead of her in PPG are 38.5% (22nd) and 35.2% (34th)

3PT% - doesn't have enough attempts to qualify, but would be 4th in A-10 at 37.8%

FT% - 84.3% - 4th in A10

AST/G - 4.5 tied for 1st in A10

STL/G - 1.5 tied for 10th in A10

REB/G - 3.8 42nd in A10 - still good for a guard

The bad:

TO/G - 3.9 4th in A10 - the 20.9 PPG player has 4.5/G and is 2nd in A10

Eyeballing the number's I'd say the front runner for POY is Davidson's Soph. PG Katie Turner has similar numbers to Harbison (slightly lower scoring and rebounding), but with a lot fewer TOs.  The fact that Davidson has a better record boosts her case as well.  VCU is the top team, but I don't see anyone on VCU whose stats jump out.

I think both Frantz and Flowers should get postseason recognition as well.  Hopefully SLU finishes strong to boost all of their chances.

-great work on these stats, thanks, I hope she continues this season and for the next 3 seasons with more talent around her 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely a really dumb question, are a lot of the women's games being played during the day or have there just been a couple of one off situations (they played yesterday morning and I think they played Dayton during the day as well)? Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Likely a really dumb question, are a lot of the women's games being played during the day or have there just been a couple of one off situations (they played yesterday morning and I think they played Dayton during the day as well)? Just curious.

On the weekends, it’s to aid traveling.

During the week, they are generally to accommodate away games that have elementary school students attending. I believe they’ve had 4 of them this year, plus the game they housed for grade schoolers. There were close to 8,000 st SLU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the women's team looked good today.  The improvement since I saw them in early January is substantial.  The Harbison girl is very impressive.  And while flowers can definitely use some strength training she is very athletic and plays hard.  I really enjoyed the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×