Women's Billikens Basketball

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-what level of program do you think she could get to and have success? I would think a 43% shooter from 3 is interesting to a lot of schools

I think she could certainly play well at a P5 school if that's what you're asking. (And I'm clearly no expert.) I don't know what caused her to want to move, but it could be a personal reason, or play closer to home etc. (I think she's from the Chicago area.)

This is a player who frankly was a team leader (or at least I thought so) and had plenty of playing time so this news is somewhat surprising. I hate to see her go, this team seemed to always frustrate me with poor outside shooting. I'll be interested to see where she ends up.

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would think she believes she can play at a national level (and i agree the way she shoots).   however as pelican alludes to, none of us know and it could be most any reason.  but from my seats, i cant see a problem with the billikens.   if she did have an issue with a player or coach at saint louis, she hid it well.

Rach on twitter committing to iupui.   now that's a head scratcher.   good luck rachael.   

10 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Rach on twitter committing to iupui.   now that's a head scratcher.   good luck rachael.   

Bizarre for certain... hate to see her leave.  Who steps into the “shooter” role next year? Hope Clark is spending a couple of hours a day fine-tuning her three point stroke....

just thought if she would be leaving the lady billikens, she would take a bigger step up in programs.   imo iupui isnt a step up.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

just thought if she would be leaving the lady billikens, she would take a bigger step up in programs.   imo iupui isnt a step up.  

IUPUI finished with a NET of 50 and SLU finished at 86.  The Horizon is basically even with A10 in WBB (I think).

Is isn't necessarily a step up, but it isn't really the same step down it would be if we were talking MBB.  It is more like a step sideways.  IUPUI would have made their 1st NCAA tournament last year if it happened because they won the Horizon.  They made the WNIT 6 of the previous 7 years before that.

billiken_roy likes this

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

thanks for doing my homework!  😄

I had the same thought as you initially.  "IUPUI...why would she go from getting big minutes at SLU to IUPUI?"  So I looked into it and realized it wasn't the step down I had assumed.

I guess I should also add that I assume reasons for WBB transferring would be very different than MBB players.  MBB players at the level SLU should be recruiting all hope to play professionally NBA is the dream, but at least D league or overseas somewhere.  Therefore, they try to find the best basketball situation.  WBB players don't have that same dream.  Therefore, it is much more likely a WBB player would transfer for academic reasons - SLU doesn't offer a grad program in her field or IUPUI's program is more highly regarded, etc.

looks like her major was "exercise science" which i didnt know was a thing let alone a slu major.   IUPUI is noted as a very good Physical Education major.   so maybe she indeed upgraded her major to her liking.   also i would assume IUPUI is closer to home.  so again, good luck Rachel  I am sure you will do well on and off the court.   sorry to see her go.

RUBillsFan likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

looks like her major was "exercise science" which i didnt know was a thing let alone a slu major.   IUPUI is noted as a very good Physical Education major.   so maybe she indeed upgraded her major to her liking.   also i would assume IUPUI is closer to home.  so again, good luck Rachel  I am sure you will do well on and off the court.   sorry to see her go.

I believe Exercise Science is a common undergraduate degree for people interested in becoming a Physical Therapist.

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Now you're the one doing the homework!  I didn't think to actually look up her major.

SLU_Lax likes this

37 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I believe Exercise Science is a common undergraduate degree for people interested in becoming a Physical Therapist.

Yep that's the main undergrad major for PT and AT.  Maybe she had a change of heart in what she wants to do and SLU didn't have the program for her.  Wish her all the best

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

BilliesBy40 is correct.  SLU, like almost all schools offering a physical therapy program nowadays, doesn't offer a 4 year degree in physical therapy.  If you are in the physical therapy program, you have to do either 5 1/2 or 6 years and get a masters or a PhD.  However, they want to give you something after four years.  So, at undergraduate commencement, they are given degrees in Exercise Science.

The Physical Education program at IUPUI would be somewhat different than what she has been studying if she is working toward an Exercise Science degree here.

Zink and billiken_roy like this

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Now you're the one doing the homework!  I didn't think to actually look up her major.

you inspired me

isnt it refreshing that we are discussing a student athlete likely making a move to better their post college life without sports?

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

isnt it refreshing that we are discussing a student athlete likely making a move to better their post college life without sports?

indeed I was wanting to say something like that. At least with the women players when asked about future we don't have the intro "if not in NBA" like so many of the male kids who all hold onto that dream.

billiken_roy likes this

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, bauman said:

Who did he replace?

Olivia Applewhite is no longer listed on the coaching staff for the upcoming season, so that's my guess.

ETA: Olivia Applewhite is the new asst. coach at Dayton, where she is an alum.

bauman likes this

If this is the deon thomas of early 90's fighting illini fame, maybe he can be the one to finally make brooke flowers everything she can be.   Looking forward to see what he can do!

• 2 weeks later...