Women's Billikens Basketball

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well, disappointing play to end the season. If everyone that can come back does, might be a pretty good team next year.

25 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

The SLU battle cry-wait till next year we should be good.

I’m not sure that’s really fair with the women’s basketball program. Lisa Stone is easily the best head coach SLU has had for its women’s program. Has she plateaued? Yeah a bit, but being the only coach to win 20 games and doing it twice has earned her a chance to struggle in overcoming that plateau. This entire team is coming back and added a transfer euro post player from Arizona. I’d bet this team finally gets their NCAA tournament berth. 

48 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m not sure that’s really fair with the women’s basketball program. Lisa Stone is easily the best head coach SLU has had for its women’s program. Has she plateaued? Yeah a bit, but being the only coach to win 20 games and doing it twice has earned her a chance to struggle in overcoming that plateau. This entire team is coming back and added a transfer euro post player from Arizona. I’d bet this team finally gets their NCAA tournament berth. 

Stone coached Wisconsin for 8 seasons. It took her a few years to build and start winning. But, she did that in years 4 through 8, mostly WNIT, one NCAA.

At Wisconsin, Stone followed the most successful coach in Wisconsin history, who had made 5 NCAA's and 2 WNIT's in 9 seasons. (Wisconsin has made the NCAA's 7 times in their history)

Since Stone was fired there, Wisconsin has had two different coaches over the past 10 seasons, zero post season of any kind, and not one winning record season. One of those two coaches was fired last week. 

RUBillsFan likes this

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't you pretty critical of Coach Stone a few years ago when others were touting what a great job she had done. If your previous stance was different what made you change your mind? 

6 hours ago, courtside said:

Stone coached Wisconsin for 8 seasons. It took her a few years to build and start winning. But, she did that in years 4 through 8, mostly WNIT, one NCAA.

At Wisconsin, Stone followed the most successful coach in Wisconsin history, who had made 5 NCAA's and 2 WNIT's in 9 seasons. (Wisconsin has made the NCAA's 7 times in their history)

Since Stone was fired there, Wisconsin has had two different coaches over the past 10 seasons, zero post season of any kind, and not one winning record season. One of those two coaches was fired last week. 

great example of why we should hesitate switching coaches just because we havent made the final four yet.  change isnt always good.

RUBillsFan likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

great example of why we should hesitate switching coaches just because we havent made the final four yet.  change isnt always good.

And incremental progress isn't sexy.  Most successes in life are slow builds.  Those stories don't get promoted as much as the sexy ones.

6 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't you pretty critical of Coach Stone a few years ago when others were touting what a great job she had done. If your previous stance was different what made you change your mind? 

Absolutely, great question Skip. This post is going to be long and I'm a much better speaker than writer so, apologies.

WBB went from two 20 win seasons to under 500 and it was looking like maybe the program was losing steam and Stone may not be able to build past that initial 4 year build which we see all the time, a coach comes in and has initial success but can't keep the momentum. 

I was concerned that, while Stone kept bringing in these program changing talents like Jackie Kemph, she had been unable to surround them with complimentary talent for a complete team. 

To compound on that I was pretty frustrated that they hadn't been able to make the tournament in the two 20 win seasons. Looking back I think I didn't have the proper context in which to assess the progress of the program.

Since that point, I took time to assess the history of the program and that they have never made an NCAA Tournament and really have no history to point back to.

Looking at this current roster that is coming back next year in it's entirety(and maybe another year, I haven't looked at the extra covid year situation or if the official site has taken that into account). Stone has her focal point in Ciaja Harbison but finally has a well rounded roster with Kent, Clark, MST, Warren, Flowers(is really starting to turn a corner I was concerned she wouldn't), Martinez is flashing brilliance more and more every game. Stone added a midseason transfer in 6'4 Sevval Gul that will be a good addition next year. This next season will be their best shot to get to the tournament since 2016-17 and I firmly believe they are going to do it.

billiken_roy and slufanskip like this

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

And incremental progress isn't sexy.  Most successes in life are slow builds.  Those stories don't get promoted as much as the sexy ones.

exactly.   people should go back and review the history of gonzaga.   few was the second choice to replace his mentor Dan Fitzgerald.   initially Fitzgerald selected fellow assistant coach, Dan Monson who also had the Fitzgerald mindset.   he had a huge three year run as well and then left to seek big ten fame and fortune.   was never the same success.   monson was replaced by few who also was an assistant on Fitzgerald's staff and the rest is history as few has exceeded momson's fine winning percentage since.  

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yep, Fitzgerald, after twelve years of blood, sweat and tears was able to build the program into an Audi A4.  Monson quickly upgraded to a BMW 5 Series and handed the keys to Few.  Few has upgraded the program to a Rolls Royce.

Crews was handed the keys to a BMW 6 Series and totaled it.  Ford wasn't even given a functioning car.  Five years later we're driving in an Audi A4.  Not sexy, but significant progress nonetheless.  

there are some good mental comparison pictures painted 3 star!  😄

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Absolutely, great question Skip. This post is going to be long and I'm a much better speaker than writer so, apologies.

WBB went from two 20 win seasons to under 500 and it was looking like maybe the program was losing steam and Stone may not be able to build past that initial 4 year build which we see all the time, a coach comes in and has initial success but can't keep the momentum. 

I was concerned that, while Stone kept bringing in these program changing talents like Jackie Kemph, she had been unable to surround them with complimentary talent for a complete team. 

To compound on that I was pretty frustrated that they hadn't been able to make the tournament in the two 20 win seasons. Looking back I think I didn't have the proper context in which to assess the progress of the program.

Since that point, I took time to assess the history of the program and that they have never made an NCAA Tournament and really have no history to point back to.

Looking at this current roster that is coming back next year in it's entirety(and maybe another year, I haven't looked at the extra covid year situation or if the official site has taken that into account). Stone has her focal point in Ciaja Harbison but finally has a well rounded roster with Kent, Clark, MST, Warren, Flowers(is really starting to turn a corner I was concerned she wouldn't), Martinez is flashing brilliance more and more every game. Stone added a midseason transfer in 6'4 Sevval Gul that will be a good addition next year. This next season will be their best shot to get to the tournament since 2016-17 and I firmly believe they are going to do it.

Great answer. Not that it's relevant, but you've gained some respect from me. ... and not that you didn't already have it. 

almaman and billikenfan05 like this

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yep, Fitzgerald, after twelve years of blood, sweat and tears was able to build the program into an Audi A4.  Monson quickly upgraded to a BMW 5 Series and handed the keys to Few.  Few has upgraded the program to a Rolls Royce.

Crews was handed the keys to a BMW 6 Series and totaled it.  Ford wasn't even given a functioning car.  Five years later we're driving in an Audi A4.  Not sexy, but significant progress nonetheless.  

We need to get moving then. That Audi is going to be in the shop soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

wow, this is a surprise.   i admit i dont follow the ladies as close as the men, however, it always seemed to me she was at worst the 3rd option and got tons of time.   sorry to see her leave as i really liked her.  

i am not liking all this transfer stuff both men's and women's.  

Zink, slufanskip and bauman like this

On 3/23/2021 at 9:02 AM, 3star_recruit said:

NM

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am not liking all this transfer stuff both men's and women's.  

Agreed. 

On the one hand, I hate placing transfer restrictions on student athletes that aren't in place for general population of students.  It seems like an odd / unfair thing to do.  I also don't like it that coaches can come & go as they please, but the student athletes may have restrictions.

On the other hand, as a fan, it really sucks thinking that any of the players you're rooting for might just up and leave at any given time.  You watch & root for players from their freshman year onward, see them develop, project how the roster will look in X # of years, and then that all becomes moot when players leave.

5 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Just an MBM but also a season ticket holder and I must say I didn't see this coming. I'm not liking the ncaa's new "free agency" anyway. (Not that I have any idea what caused this particular transfer.)

It seems to me, it's gonna be smaller school coaches 'em up, big boys come and get 'em.

12 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Just an MBM but also a season ticket holder and I must say I didn't see this coming. I'm not liking the ncaa's new "free agency" anyway. (Not that I have any idea what caused this particular transfer.)

It seems to me, it's gonna be smaller school coaches 'em up, big boys come and get 'em.

-what level of program do you think she could get to and have success? I would think a 43% shooter from 3 is interesting to a lot of schools