Women's Billikens Basketball

Something that is very unfortunate for SLU with Fordham's WBB regular season basically ending is that for WBB only the top 2 teams get a bye in the A10 tournament.  Fordham at 8 - 2 currently has the #2 seed and assuming they use winning % to determine seeding then they're locked in there.  Dayton is 11-0 and has the top seed sewn up with just 2 games remaining (not counting the Fordham one that will be cancelled).

Hoping that SLU can get into 3rd place (need to win out and for Rhody to a lose game) which would make their championship path a lot easier by being on the side of the bracket with Fordham coming off a long pause instead of Dayton's side.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, thetorch said:

5th straight win for the women today.  

Harbison with her first ever double double with 18 points and 12 assists. Flowers continues her tear with 17 and 1 along with 4 blocks and 2 steals.

I don't think Stone is getting enough credit.  Rivals any team in the country with time off from the virus but they have turned their season around and look to be solid contenders in the A10.

I always cheer for Flowers. Love the unbridled joy on her face when she makes a good play. Absolute human eraser on defense. Her blocks and shot alterations completely disrupt the opponents’ inside game. 

That said, she is an enigma on offense.  One moment a female Jolly, fumbling and insecure, the next moment a lady Akeem, smooth and strong to the hoop.  Lately I’m witnessing more of the latter.  If she gets there 90% of the time - watch out!!

slufanskip likes this

7 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

I always cheer for Flowers. Love the unbridled joy on her face when she makes a good play. Absolute human eraser on defense. Her blocks and shot alterations completely disrupt the opponents’ inside game. 

That said, she is an enigma on offense.  One moment a female Jolly, fumbling and insecure, the next moment a lady Akeem, smooth and strong to the hoop.  Lately I’m witnessing more of the latter.  If she gets there 90% of the time - watch out!!

That's funny, i said the same thing to myself. In the last game i watched she threw one up from 5 feet away that banged hard off the top part of the backboard.  10 min later she makes a nice up and under move to lay one in softly off the glass. 

Gremio14 likes this

Lot of discussion about swapping men's & women's tournament dates from the men's side, but not so much from the women's side.

SLU's remaining schedule looks like this:

2/20 @ Dayton

2/26 @ Davidson

2/28 @ Fordham (unknown if this will be played because Fordham is on a campus-wide COVID shutdown)

OFF

3/10-3/14 A-10 tournament

Seems fairly unlikely that the game at Fordham will be played which means SLU would have 11 days off before the A10 tournament starts and would have only played 2 games in the 23 days leading up to the tournament.  Hopefully the A10 gets to work rescheduling some of the games SLU missed earlier in the season because of COVID.  

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Lot of discussion about swapping men's & women's tournament dates from the men's side, but not so much from the women's side.

SLU's remaining schedule looks like this:

2/20 @ Dayton

2/26 @ Davidson

2/28 @ Fordham (unknown if this will be played because Fordham is on a campus-wide COVID shutdown)

OFF

3/10-3/14 A-10 tournament

Seems fairly unlikely that the game at Fordham will be played which means SLU would have 11 days off before the A10 tournament starts and would have only played 2 games in the 23 days leading up to the tournament.  Hopefully the A10 gets to work rescheduling some of the games SLU missed earlier in the season because of COVID.  

Fordham's WBB has petitioned the Fordham Administration to allow them to continue playing, even if it is totally off site.  They are in contention for the A10 title and a NCAA bid.  In their petition they pointed out that they have been tested over 1400 times over the season with no positives.  I doubt though if the Admin bends.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Fordham's WBB has petitioned the Fordham Administration to allow them to continue playing, even if it is totally off site.  They are in contention for the A10 title and a NCAA bid.  In their petition they pointed out that they have been tested over 1400 times over the season with no positives.  I doubt though if the Admin bends.

Seems like a reasonable request.  The regular students are working remotely, why not the athletes?

39 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

WBB trying to get a little payback at Dayton.   They lead 39-31 with 4+ mins left in the 3rd quarter on ESPN+.

SLU defense has been excellent, but they're getting killed on the boards.  MST has been in foul trouble which probably explains the rebounding issue.

Women win 64-57 on the road.

Flowers with 19 (8/12) 16 boards, 2 stls, 4 blocks

Clark with 14 (5/7 - 2/3 from 3) 

Harbison with 14

1 minute ago, willie said:

Flowers was awesome. 

This is meant to be criticism of my eye-test and not Brooke. 

It is incredible how bad / lost / uncoordinated she can look at times while I'm watching and then I look at the stats and she put up a really good game.  There were multiple times I felt like she was getting pushed around / bullied by Dayton's bigs.  I do think she could have had a few more rebounds / kept Dayton off the glass better, but I think MST being in foul trouble played a bigger role.

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Women win 64-57 on the road.

Flowers with 19 (8/12) 16 boards, 2 stls, 4 blocks

Clark with 14 (5/7 - 2/3 from 3) 

Harbison with 14

This is an excellent excellent win.  Dayton is / has been the best team in the A10, so winning at their place is really good.

That being said, the W may means very little in the scheme of things.  If that final scheduled game vs Fordham doesn't get played and no additional games are added, SLU has no way of catching Fordham (or Dayton) for one of the top 2 spots & a bye in the A10 tournament.  They aren't getting an at-large, so it is all about winning the A10 tournament & it doesn't matter much where they finish if they don't get the bye.

Hopefully this game gives SLU confidence that we can beat Dayton again because I suspect we will see them in the A10 tournament & that is when it really matters.  We absolutely need to clean up the rebounding in that one because you can't give up offensive rebounds on 40% of the opponents misses and expect to win very often.  We played zone a lot on D which is part of the problem, so you have to live with some O rebounds.  40% is too high though.  Brooke & MST need to make it their mission to box out and not get bullied on the glass.  Guards need to do a better job running down long rebounds too.

BTW.  I kind of throw out in my mind the 2 games the men's team played coming back from a long COVID pause.  The women's team was on COVID pause for LONGER (12/6/20 - 1/17/21 vs 12/26/20 to 1/26/21 for the men) & had only played 2 games prior to the pause because of an earlier pause.  If you throw out home losses to Fordham on 1/17/21 (63-72) and UMass on 1/22/21 (62-78) immediately after the COVID pause, then SLU's only loss of the season as in OT to Dayton at Chaifetz.

I really wonder if this team could have had an at-large worthy resume if it weren't for COVID.  The best part is that all of their major contributors are back next season.

Dayton had a 37 game home winning streak.

Biggest win of the Stone tenure.

We have a legitimate shot at winning the Auto bid in the A10.

There has been a lot of criticism of Flowers including my own but I think she has done enough now to quit piling on her.  She's never going to be Lisa Leslie.  She's just a tall athlete.  She put up big stats in the Public High league but never played on especially good teams and focused more or on track.  Her mens Billiken comp is Melvin Robinson.  When you look at it like that her career has been pretty successful actually.

slufanskip and RUBillsFan like this

52 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Dayton had a 37 game home winning streak.

Biggest win of the Stone tenure.

We have a legitimate shot at winning the Auto bid in the A10.

There has been a lot of criticism of Flowers including my own but I think she has done enough now to quit piling on her.  She's never going to be Lisa Leslie.  She's just a tall athlete.  She put up big stats in the Public High league but never played on especially good teams and focused more or on track.  Her mens Billiken comp is Melvin Robinson.  When you look at it like that her career has been pretty successful actually.

Over the last 3 games she's 16/14.3/3.7(blk)  Pretty nice. Really finding it at the right time

I guess the A10 changed the format of the women’s tournament this year to mirror the men’s.  Instead of top 2 seeds getting a bye they’re doing top 4 double bye.  Good news for SLU wbb who finished 3rd.  https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/2/28/dayton-wins-a-10-regular-season-will-be-top-seed-for-womens-basketball-championship.aspx

10 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I guess the A10 changed the format of the women’s tournament this year to mirror the men’s.  Instead of top 2 seeds getting a bye they’re doing top 4 double bye.  Good news for SLU wbb who finished 3rd.  https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/2/28/dayton-wins-a-10-regular-season-will-be-top-seed-for-womens-basketball-championship.aspx

And we still don't know what Fordham is doing. That could be huge as well. 

On 3/1/2021 at 8:11 AM, billikenfan05 said:

And we still don't know what Fordham is doing. That could be huge as well. 

Kind of crazy.  If Fordham doesn't participate, I assume the St. Joes / UMass winner just gets a bye into the semis?  Either way, I can't imagine Fordham will be sharp and could see them losing that game.  I'll be disappointed if SLU doesn't make the finals where I expect they'll have to win a rubber match vs Dayton to get the auto bid.

A10 has been pretty awful at re-doing the men's schedule & making it logical / helping the best teams build resumes.  They been even worse when it comes to the women's scheduling.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, Speyburn said:

Shimmy has been an assistant coach at Clemson since April 2018.

Yep. She has either played or coached in all five Power 5 leagues.

She had her most success since SLU, immediately after SLU, as an assistant at Nebraska, NCAA teams, Sweet 16, strong recruiting classes, etc...strong school and fan support, but she left for an assistant position at Florida where the head coach had been there a long time, and she was getting on the hot seat. 

The coach at Florida was eventually fired a few years later for not winning enough. So Shimmy took a job briefly at Texas Tech before that former Florida coach got the Clemson job, and they reunited a few years ago. So she has done well to stay as Power 5 assistant for many years now. That seems to be the best landing spot for her.

A scintillating first quarter sees the Billiken women tied with N. Iowa 5-5 at the end of one. Billikens shoot 2-13 from the floor and UNI 2-17. 😳