Women's Billikens Basketball

I understand arguments for waiting to pull starters.  On the flip side if Ciaja were to get hurt with SLU up 20+ late in the 4th quarter fans rightly would / should be calling for Stone’s head.  There is a balance and while I think Stone is a great coach this is one area I’d like to see her handle slightly differently.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been thinking about this argument about leaving in versus taking out the starters and I'm kind of amused at where my thoughts went.

My first exposure to women's basketball was in the early years at the Kielviscottenter downtown. There would be the occasional doubleheader with free entry to the women's early game if you had a ticket to the men's. I remember coaches Jill Piscotti and then Shimmy Gray-Something. There was nothing about any of those games or teams that made me want to come back and pay to see them. I frankly didn't care that SLU even had a women's team.

So the fact that we are even arguing about whether/when to take out the A-team means that they have achieved some measure of success and have had rosters of very good players. Back then I neither cared nor knew who the A-team even was. Now, or at least in the Before Times, I've been a season ticket holder and enjoyed the success that Coach Stone and the players have had the last several years.

I can understand the arguments either way. Both have merit. Sometimes we just disagree.

Shimmy Gray-Something...

There is a good documentary on Shimmy Gray-Miller and her time as head coach.

I say good, as the documentary is compelling, but it is very sympathetic of Coach Gray, going in to detail on every stroke of bad luck she had (e.g. player injuries, departures, etc).

White Pelican likes this

Yeah, thanks! Gray-Miller. I was too lazy to look it up. I think she got married during her time at SLU and the hyphen and Miller was added. And I DO remember something about a documentary and I'm sure I've never seen it. I may look for it.

And also...it is Jill Pizzotti, not the way I had it. Two zees, two tees. Sorry Jill.

I am sure I only remember her name because of the documentary.

I definitely think the documentary was worth the watch for anyone interested in SLU or women's basketball.

Jill Pizzotti is not a name I have heard in a long time.

It looks like she is still the associate coach at DePaul.  That is a good gig.

I remember Shimmy Gray Miller being very enthusiastic when she spoke.  She was fun to listen to.  In the end, she either couldn't recruit or coach, or both.  She bounced around and was last listed as an interim coach at Texas Tech, but is no longer on the staff.  Even with that, I felt she was a step up from Pizzotti.

Well, you made me look it up.

Pizzotti  10 seasons  113-167   Two winning seasons 16-12, 17-14

Gray-Miller 7 seasons  71-136  Zero winning seasons   Best year 13-17

Ya know, that's 17 long years of pretty bad basketball. Or at least results.

10 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Well, you made me look it up.

Pizzotti  10 seasons  113-167   Two winning seasons 16-12, 17-14

Gray-Miller 7 seasons  71-136  Zero winning seasons   Best year 13-17

Ya know, that's 17 long years of pretty bad basketball. Or at least results.

The fact that Shimmy had 0 winning seasons is absolutely astounding when you look at who she had come through the program.

AGB91 likes this

11 hours ago, gister said:

I remember Shimmy Gray Miller being very enthusiastic when she spoke.  She was fun to listen to.  In the end, she either couldn't recruit or coach, or both.  She bounced around and was last listed as an interim coach at Texas Tech, but is no longer on the staff.  Even with that, I felt she was a step up from Pizzotti.

You are right she was a great speaker but she couldn't coach. She would run players in and out like it was a fire drill. 

During teresa's time she had two players that left in less than a year and then started for Indiana.   Have to be one 2 faced B to chase off that kind of talent.  

On 2/8/2021 at 4:10 PM, pakapablo said:

Why do they even play the Star Spangled Banner at sporting events?

Looks like others have the same idea about not playing the Star Spangled Banner at sporting events. It would be fine by me. 

Dallas Mavericks won't play national anthem at home games

Bruce Arena says national anthem at sporting events is "inappropriate"

Was at the game. First half was low scoring. Thought for awhile it would end up both teams in the 40s. 

We were down by I think 11 at one point in the first half but hung around. The tide started to turn in the 3rd quarter and then we just piled on in the fourth. 
Fourth  quarter our shots fell...and theirs...did not. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

16 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Was at the game. First half was low scoring. Thought for awhile it would end up both teams in the 40s. 

We were down by I think 11 at one point in the first half but hung around. The tide started to turn in the 3rd quarter and then we just piled on in the fourth. 
Fourth  quarter our shots fell...and theirs...did not. 

Always a winning formula 🧐

SLU WBB is up to #78 in NET rankings after the W against VCU.  They are also now 6th in the A10 standings at 6-3, but tied with 4 other teams with only 3 losses.  Therefore, they aren't far off from 3rd place.  The remaining schedule is:

2/14 vs #142 Richmond

2/20 @ #54 Dayton

2/26 @ #206 Davidson

2/28 @ #69 Fordham

No idea if the A10 will try to make up any games, but it does look like SLU has open dates to do so.

5th straight win for the women today.  

Harbison with her first ever double double with 18 points and 12 assists. Flowers continues her tear with 17 and 1 along with 4 blocks and 2 steals.

I don't think Stone is getting enough credit.  Rivals any team in the country with time off from the virus but they have turned their season around and look to be solid contenders in the A10.

NH and RUBillsFan like this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

5th straight win for the women today.  

Harbison with her first ever double double with 18 points and 12 assists. Flowers continues her tear with 17 and 1 along with 4 blocks and 2 steals.

I don't think Stone is getting enough credit.  Rivals any team in the country with time off from the virus but they have turned their season around and look to be solid contenders in the A10.

Big test next game 2/20 at Dayton.  Lost in OT at Chaifetz against them.  They’re the team standing in the way of our first ever NCAA appearance.

WBB also need 13 games to qualify for NCAAs.  The team is 9-3 now with 3 games left before the A10 tournament, but we already know the Fordham games is going to be cancelled.  Doesn’t leave much leeway if another game gets cancelled.  Probably moot though because they likely need to win A10 tournament to get in which would be at least 3 games.