Women's Billikens Basketball

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great comeback today over St. Joes.  Down 12 in the 3rd quarter came back to claim a 3 point vicory.

Kent had 21 and 9

Ciaja finished with 20 points in just 23 minutes because of foul trouble, 15 in the 2nd half.

Smith Traore had a double double.

Stone notched her 650th career win with the victory.

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Great comeback today over St. Joes.  Down 12 in the 3rd quarter came back to claim a 3 point vicory.

Kent had 21 and 9

Ciaja finished with 20 points in just 23 minutes because of foul trouble, 15 in the 2nd half.

Smith Traore had a double double.

Stone notched her 650th career win with the victory.

Could have been more than 3 if Julia Martinez knocked down FTs at the end.

After all of the COVID pauses, the women’s team finally seems to be getting on track.  They’ve won 4 of their last 5 with the only loss in OT to the top team in the A10 (Dayton).  However, none of the wins have been against the top A10 teams.  Need to take care of business in round 2 tomorrow vs the Hawks and finish string because their 5 remaining games after are tough.  They include 4 against teams currently in the A10s top 5.

With the men's team I always have sort of a sense of how good the team is regardless of their record.  I never really have any sense of that with the women's team so I find it helpful to look at the rankings every so often for a reality check.   

SLU checks in at 100 in the latest NET rankings https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-net-rankings which is good for 4th behind Dayton (63), Fordham (76) and UMass (85).

St. Joes checks in at 120, so I think another road win over them would give us another boost.  We jumped 13 spots with the win yesterday.

White Pelican likes this

Thanks for the info. I never think to check on the women's net, just watch em play, hope they win, and hope for some postseason games. A lot of times, even watching them doesn't give an accurate view of anything. I guess too much disparity in quality of women's college basketball.

27 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Thanks for the info. I never think to check on the women's net, just watch em play, hope they win, and hope for some postseason games. A lot of times, even watching them doesn't give an accurate view of anything. I guess too much disparity in quality of women's college basketball.

Agreed.  I know the NET is far from perfect, but it is a decent snapshot.  It tells me that #1 A10 is unlikely to have more than 1 bid to the women's NCAA tournament and #2 despite the COVID issues, SLU has a realistic shot at the auto-bid if they get things working going into the A10 tournament.

It's basically a strong one-bid league. A few teams that could flirt with at-large bids if everything broke just right, but that's almost never going to happen in one season.

SLU's women's team has never made the Tournament. Unfortunately, Dayton has normally been the one blocking them in this league.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:37 PM, billiken_roy said:

there is no defense or explanation imo that defends not standing at attention for "The Star Spangled Banner".   IMO, If America is that terrible, you should leave.  Obviously you believe there must be someplace better to be a resident and citizen.  

Why do they even play the Star Spangled Banner at sporting events?

4 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

We're up 62-40 after three at St. Joe's.

This is where I'll jump in and ask why the heck Stone still has the starters in the game during the 4th.  I assume they're still in anyways because the ESPN box score only shows that they've used 3 subs.

SLU was up 22 and St. Joes hasn't scored more than 20 in any of the last 7 quarters over the past 2 days.  Empty the bench, Lisa!

Stone is a great coach and by far the best the women's team has ever had, but her riding the starters is a pet peeve of mine.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is where I'll jump in and ask why the heck Stone still has the starters in the game during the 4th.  I assume they're still in anyways because the ESPN box score only shows that they've used 3 subs.

SLU was up 22 and St. Joes hasn't scored more than 20 in any of the last 7 quarters over the past 2 days.  Empty the bench, Lisa!

Stone is a great coach and by far the best the women's team has ever had, but her riding the starters is a pet peeve of mine.

Alternatively, Ciaja has 26 points with 7 mins left.  SLU women's record for most points in a game is 37 set by Theresa Lisch in 2009.  If you're going to leave her in, feed Ciaja and get her the scoring record.

IF you watched the last 3 minutes after she cleared the bench, you'd have seen why she didn't sub out earlier. A comedy of errors frankly.

Anyway, an 81-58 win. Harbison with either 29 or 30, thank you Mr. TV Guy for your terrific scorekeeping. A career high either way. He also said she was 7 for 7 from the line, when he knows she missed the last one she took.

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

IF you watched the last 3 minutes after she cleared the bench, you'd have seen why she didn't sub out earlier. A comedy of errors frankly.

Anyway, an 81-58 win. Harbison with either 29 or 30, thank you Mr. TV Guy for your terrific scorekeeping. A career high either way. He also said she was 7 for 7 from the line, when he knows she missed the last one she took.

I get that, but my point was that a 22 point lead going into the 4th is / was pretty much insurmountable.

Over that 3 minutes you mention SLU was outscored 5 to 1.  If they played just as horrendously over over the entire 10 minute 4th quarter, they're outscored something like 17 to 3, and we still win 65 - 57.

I know a 65 - 57 win doesn't look as nice and maybe Ciaja doesn't get a career high, but this team needs to be playing to peak in the A10 tournament not run up the score / maintain a big lead on St. Joes in February.  You can make an argument that a smaller win doesn't provide as big of a NET boost, but I'd counter that the women aren't going to be in line for an at-large regardless so NET considerations are basically meaningless.  I also think getting some of the younger / less frequently used players some garbage time boosts morale and has potential to pay dividends down the road if you need the depth.

24 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I get that, but my point was that a 22 point lead going into the 4th is / was pretty much insurmountable.

Over that 3 minutes you mention SLU was outscored 5 to 1.  If they played just as horrendously over over the entire 10 minute 4th quarter, they're outscored something like 17 to 3, and we still win 65 - 57.

I know a 65 - 57 win doesn't look as nice and maybe Ciaja doesn't get a career high, but this team needs to be playing to peak in the A10 tournament not run up the score / maintain a big lead on St. Joes in February.  You can make an argument that a smaller win doesn't provide as big of a NET boost, but I'd counter that the women aren't going to be in line for an at-large regardless so NET considerations are basically meaningless.  I also think getting some of the younger / less frequently used players some garbage time boosts morale and has potential to pay dividends down the road if you need the depth.

-I did not watch but if there is a big lead a coach doesn't have to remove all 5 starters at once in order to use the bench

47 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Or you could argue that the top 7 or 8 players need to work together to make up for all the games and practice they missed. Playing in games is better than practice. There are no seniors on the team. So, the top group is going to get all of the minutes for several years. As you said, Coach Stone doesn’t go deep into a bench. 

51 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It comes down to what a coach is comfortable with.  If you check out other basketball games, 99% of college coaches wait until there's less than 3 minutes of left to empty the bench, no matter how big the lead is.

slufanskip likes this

Well Harbison DID make 30 points according to the box score. MST just missed a double double with 9 points and 10 rebounds.

Natalie McNeal was the pleasant surprise for me as she came in early, while the game was still close and hit 2 treys and a short jumper to personally create some scoring differential. Finished with 13 points and 4 rebounds in 22 minutes. I suspect (hope) she'll continue to get minutes going forward.

Bills only had 8 turn-overs (2 of those in the last minutes with the subs in) to go with 6 steals.

54 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It comes down to what a coach is comfortable with.  If you check out other basketball games, 99% of college coaches wait until there's less than 3 minutes of left to empty the bench, no matter how big the lead is.

34 minutes ago, NH said:

Women’s team starters don’t have any enough game minutes in their legs to begin with because of the COVID pause. NET ranking factors in margin of victory. Bury them.

Agree with both of you. Was gonna stay out of this argument but coaches that want to continue to coach have to win. And how they do that and who gets to play are their decisions.

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Ciaja was actually 8 for 9 from the FT line. Missed the very last one before she was subbed out of the game. Was 6-6 yesterday with 20 points, so 50 points in the two games at St. Joe's and 14 for 15 from the line.