Women's Billikens Basketball

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

take steps behind the scenes to see if your legislators can initiate action to make those changes that represent your feelings without tearing up the country, starting fights or even worse examples of violence and disrespect, etc.   you arent going to make america better by tearing it down.

The above is just about perfect.  I can absolutely get behind it and agree 100%

First part of your post is a big shrug from me.  People can sit for the anthem if they want and others can & will be disgusted.  That's within everyone's rights. 

What I think we ought to be looking at (and IMO all of the hand-wringing over respect for the flag obfuscates a bit) is WHY are they not standing?  Can / should something be done to make the country better & make everyone without a doubt proud to stand?  In some cases, the answer might be "no" or at least "nothing reasonable can be done that would satisfy people not standing", but we at least need to ask it & have the discussion.  That asking & reasonable discussion is a much tougher thing to do than just denounce not standing without looking into it further.

I don't like the US vs THEM nature of the last part of your post.  I do not believe you can generalize all conservatives and all liberals like that.  Also what about the other 1/3 or so of the county that is independent?  I also don't agree that you can so easily jump from sitting / kneeling for the anthem to rioting.

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

Why have the 4 not been identified?   It seems to me that if they are proud of the statement they are making, they would want to do it publicly. 

This is an excellent question for Stu Durando.  As I said earlier in the thread, he posted the Tweet / photo with absolutely no follow up at all.  A good journalist would have followed up. 

I just double checked his article here (https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-women-return-after-enduring-three-quarantines/article_889bbb41-1307-50bd-aa4e-c0340bd94e6f.html) and there is nothing at all about it.

I think we all can learn things from the people who were successful in the past. On this day that we honor Dr. Martin Luther King, let us look back on The March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.  Prior to Dr. King’s historic speech Camilla Williams opened the program with a beautiful performance of The Star-Spangled Banner.  Nobody protested during the anthem that day.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Flowers ties the single game record with 21 rebounds in the win.  Also had 11 points and 5 blocks.

It is so disappointing though that flowers hasnt really done anything to improve her strength and shooting.   At 6'5" she is blessed with a natural head start and if she had worked hard offseasons on strength, conditioning and shooting she could have really been something imo.   Maybe a game like this finally puts focus in her potential 

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Did the recruitment of the new big light a fire under Flowers? Looks like it.

Ha, been wondering that myself. She's been playing great! When can the new player suit up, do you know? I don't think she's on the bench.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Did the recruitment of the new big light a fire under Flowers? Looks like it.

Hey I have no idea what goes on at practice but I said several weeks ago I couldn’t understand why Flowers didn’t play more. Maybe it’s just a simple matter of getting minutes to show what you can do. Changing genders I would like to see TJ get enough minutes to see if he can deliver. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

Hey I have no idea what goes on at practice but I said several weeks ago I couldn’t understand why Flowers didn’t play more. Maybe it’s just a simple matter of getting minutes to show what you can do. Changing genders I would like to see TJ get enough minutes to see if he can deliver. 

You shouldn't say changing genders in a women's sports discussion