Women's Billikens Basketball

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

regardless of how the season ends for the lady billikens, i think it was a good season and shows a good future.   gotta love how the senior year played out for kendra wilken.   that is a very nice story and should serve as an inspiration and testimony for hard work and dont quit attitude. 

I don't agree with this for one reason. After Kendra, Brooke Flowers is the only center we have and she has completely regressed this year. Unless she buckles down like Kendra and works hard to improve over the summer this team will rely heavily on MST next year which won't be enough. The guard play on this team is good but they will have little to no inside presence next year without bringing in someone ready to play and cover Kendra's minutes.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

regardless of how the season ends for the lady billikens, i think it was a good season and shows a good future.   gotta love how the senior year played out for kendra wilken.   that is a very nice story and should serve as an inspiration and testimony for hard work and dont quit attitude. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't agree with this for one reason. After Kendra, Brooke Flowers is the only center we have and she has completely regressed this year. Unless she buckles down like Kendra and works hard to improve over the summer this team will rely heavily on MST next year which won't be enough. The guard play on this team is good but they will have little to no inside presence next year without bringing in someone ready to play and cover Kendra's minutes.

They retired "Lady" at least 10 years ago.

I have to think this is a pretty strong squad next year. Everyone is back except Wilken.

I'm not sure what Flowers' sophomore slump was all about, except maybe just a more crowded frontcourt? Wilken progressed significantly and Smith-Traore wasn't there the year before. But yeah, she definitely regressed and needs to show some development. I also was hoping for a bigger second-year bump from Harbison, whose percentages are down a bit from freshman year even though she's up about 1 PPG. She also needs to get those turnovers down. Smith-Traore needs to add a scoring dimension to her game because right now she's all rebounding.

So I guess the frontcourt depends on Flowers bouncing back and how ready the freshman big will be. Stone signed 4 players, 2 guards and 2 forwards, but I think only one is a big - Nya Toang from Des Moines. Peyton Kennedy from Rockford is more of a SF or stretch 4.

I like this current freshmen class. Kent has become the highest-volume perimeter shooter and at .419 she's also the best of anyone regularly shooting from deep. Stewart has been a nice addition and has worked her way into the rotation significantly - unfortunately partially at Martinez's expense, because I think she has solid potential, too. Stewart has also cut into Clark's production and minutes.

Dayton graduates 7 seniors - including the #1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9 scorers - so maybe the conference also opens up a little bit at the top next season and SLU can build on that 4th-place finish above a crowded middle this year.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

you greatly underestimate myriama smith traore.  she is the lady's french.   does all the dirty work inside and a very good rebounder.   i suspect her scoring will increase with added expectations and responsibility.  

as to flowers, i agree she went backwards.  but the tools are there and just has to get a fire lit under her.   when she plays she blocks shots and rebounds.   

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I was at last nights game. Flowers barely played but when she did she made 2 very nice buckets on good offensive moves. I have also been to other games where she has blocked several shots. While she lacks strength I think she has been vastly underused. 

31 minutes ago, willie said:

I was at last nights game. Flowers barely played but when she did she made 2 very nice buckets on good offensive moves. I have also been to other games where she has blocked several shots. While she lacks strength I think she has been vastly underused. 

I don't know if I'd say underused. I've seen her get into games and be a complete non-factor. I just don't see her making a jump from 10 to 35 minutes a game.

40 minutes ago, willie said:

I was there also. Those were two big shots that quite frankly I didn't expect her to make. Maybe that's because I haven't seen her play much this year.

She's of course rail-thin so I can't see her banging with the bigs for most of a game over a full season either so I guess Smith-Traore it's gonna be. I'm not up on the recruits mentioned above so maybe one of them will surprise us.

Stone has a little Grawer in her.  No matter what you can do, if you aren't doing the work of the court you don't play.

Wilken outplayed Flowers all season.  It is up to Flowers to have a Wilken summer and come out like the A10 all defensive player she can be next season.

Stewart is just scratching the surface.  She has the ability to get hot and carry this team to a tourney title.  We are not that far removed talent wise from the top teams in Fordham, VCU and Dayton.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Stone has a little Grawer in her.  No matter what you can do, if you aren't doing the work of the court you don't play.

Wilken outplayed Flowers all season.  It is up to Flowers to have a Wilken summer and come out like the A10 all defensive player she can be next season.

Stewart is just scratching the surface.  She has the ability to get hot and carry this team to a tourney title.  We are not that far removed talent wise from the top teams in Fordham, VCU and Dayton.

Martinez needs to start scoring more. In 322 minutes she has 14 pts, 6 of those were from free throws. Too many times she looks at passing, especially when the clock is running down.

Flowers showed better form on one of her shots last night, than I have seen her shoot before. She extended her release point high above her head with good form and nailed it. If she keeps that form up she will be able to get her shot off against almost anyone and turn into a good offensive player.

3 hours ago, Speyburn said:

Martinez needs to start scoring more. In 322 minutes she has 14 pts, 6 of those were from free throws. Too many times she looks at passing, especially when the clock is running down.

Tough player. Can’t  shoot a lick. 

Just now, Pistol said:

SLU 36, UMass 29 at half.

Kent is 5-7 from 3. They've made Harbison and Wilken the focal points so we need her to stay hot.

The UMass bigs are in some foul trouble as Donnelly and Breen both have 2.  This is a nice change of pace from recent games where Wilken has been hampered by fouls.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

SLU 36, UMass 29 at half.

Kent is 5-7 from 3. They've made Harbison and Wilken the focal points so we need her to stay hot.

Martinez has been really good and I've been pleased with Flowers contributions. I have been super critical of her this season but she's bringing it tonight.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

UMass hanging around. Want to see Kent or Jaidah get going from 3 to extend the lead

Did you post this before Kent hit that last one? If not, good job.

54-47 with 3:46 to go (media timeout). Traded misses after Kent's three.