Women's Billikens Basketball

Lady Bills have 4 in a row in the A10 with  road victory over George Mason today.  Wilken lead with 25 points, Ciaja had 21 in a 64-51 win.  Now tied for 5th in conference, next week travel to RI and host UMass who are right below us in the standings.

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Lady Bills have 4 in a row in the A10 with  road victory over George Mason today.  Wilken lead with 25 points, Ciaja had 21 in a 64-51 win.  Now tied for 5th in conference, next week travel to RI and host UMass who are right below us in the standings.

Watching on ESPN + right now. Wilken had 23 last game so 23 and 25 her last 2.  I'm at about a minute left in the 1st qtr and it looks like Kendra is stretching her offensive game out a little. I really like her. She's a perfect example of don't give up. Just keep working hard and good things will come. Imo she's the team MVP this year

29 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Watching on ESPN + right now. Wilken had 23 last game so 23 and 25 her last 2.  I'm at about a minute left in the 1st qtr and it looks like Kendra is stretching her offensive game out a little. I really like her. She's a perfect example of don't give up. Just keep working hard and good things will come. Imo she's the team MVP this year

I hope she's used an example for the rest of the team.  Wilken never did offseason workouts and was buried in the rotation.  Stone had a come to Jesus meeting with her over the offseason and told her she can start working out or go play somewhere else.  Wilken took it up and got into the best shape of her life and is playing like an all conference player.  If Stone can convince some of her other young stars to do the same we may finally get an NCAA berth.

RUBillsFan and slufanskip like this

20 hours ago, thetorch said:

I hope she's used an example for the rest of the team.  Wilken never did offseason workouts and was buried in the rotation.  Stone had a come to Jesus meeting with her over the offseason and told her she can start working out or go play somewhere else.  Wilken took it up and got into the best shape of her life and is playing like an all conference player.  If Stone can convince some of her other young stars to do the same we may finally get an NCAA berth.

43 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Wilken is A10 player of the week.

A "Conklin Summer" is henceforth to be referred to as a "Wilken Summer"

I believe a real problem with the womens program is offseason growth.  If they had players that would buy in we would be better off.  Even Stone's most talented players never improve as much as they should if at all from when they step on campus.

Today Jaidah finally played to the level for which she has been touted.  Flowed.  Smooth.  And her passes to the low post were as good as any passes KW has received this year.  If this team continues to perform as it did today, an A10 tournament victory and the resultant NCAA berth is a possibility.

28 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Today Jaidah finally played to the level for which she has been touted.  Flowed.  Smooth.  And her passes to the low post were as good as any passes KW has received this year.  If this team continues to perform as it did today, an A10 tournament victory and the resultant NCAA berth is a possibility.

Without watching the game Jaidah had no assists.  She has gotten some more minutes lately.  Team needs her to make a run in the A10 tourney.

Billikens had a game at RI that they should have won and ended up dropping it by 9 letting RI go ona 12-2 run in the 4th quarter.

Much better effort today against UMass.  21 for Ciaja and 17 for Wilken as they blew out UMass.  They were up over 20 early in the 4th.

Next game is the kids game on Wed morning so it will be a packed house against the 2nd best team in the league Fordham.  Lady Bills need a statement win at home over Fordham.

57 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Without watching the game Jaidah had no assists.  She has gotten some more minutes lately.  Team needs her to make a run in the A10 tourney.

Billikens had a game at RI that they should have won and ended up dropping it by 9 letting RI go ona 12-2 run in the 4th quarter.

Much better effort today against UMass.  21 for Ciaja and 17 for Wilken as they blew out UMass.  They were up over 20 early in the 4th.

Next game is the kids game on Wed morning so it will be a packed house against the 2nd best team in the league Fordham.  Lady Bills need a statement win at home over Fordham.

I've been meaning to catch a womens game for years now, but our schedules never matched up. I think I can make it Wednesday morning. Go Lady Bills.

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Jaidah Stewart 

The parts of the game that I watched Fordham was doubling Wilken in the post every time she touched the ball.  That probably had something to do with her going 3-15 with 4 turnovers.  Stewart knocking down open shots will be key if teams are going to focus on stopping Wilken.

A nice win and final score not at all indicative of how close that game was. Bills finally took it over in the last few minutes. I think we shot 8 for 15 free throws. SLU...where free throws go to die. Bunnies not doing so well either for that matter. Our bigs missed too many of those today too. But a win.

And yeah, kudos to Jaidah Stewart for a couple of big, big threes late.

The videos on instagram were pretty great.  Total packed house.

Stewart has really come on.  Don't downplay this win.  Fordham is very good with one of the best players in the league.  Next up is at VCU, who overtook Fordham today for 2nd place in the conference.  Billikens are now in sole possession of 4th place in the conference.

I don't understand why Wilken could make so many mistakes and shoot so poorly and stay in the game as long as she did and anytime Flowers made a mistake she was taken out.  Regardless, the team has some talent and they were fun to watch, especially their movement on offense.

I don't really like to comment on specific players (it's usually the men anyway) and when I occasionally do, I usually regret it. The fact that the coach plays certain players more than others speaks volumes to me. Wilken had a rough game today but she has had a fine senior year, both ends of the floor.

I will say that I would place Flowers third on the depth chart behind Smith-Traore and well behind Wilken. It would appear the coach feels the same way based on minutes.

Another thing too, if the outside shooting had been better, especially earlier in the season, there wouldn't be so much pressure on the bigs every game. (Could say the same for the men's team.) The guards seem to be earning their keep much better lately.

billiken_roy likes this

8 hours ago, doowop said:

I don't understand why Wilken could make so many mistakes and shoot so poorly and stay in the game as long as she did and anytime Flowers made a mistake she was taken out.  Regardless, the team has some talent and they were fun to watch, especially their movement on offense.

Because Flowers has been really bad this year. She gets by on her length alone. Flowers also isn’t strong enough to bang in the post. 

SLU beat Richmond last night in Richmond.  Solid road win for the women's team despite not shooting very well.

They're 9-6 alone in 4th place right now with a matchup against 1st place Dayton (14-1) at Chaifetz on Saturday night for Senior night.  SLU lost a heatbreaker at Dayton earlier in the year, so hopefully they can use that as motivation & get the W, but it will be tough.

4th place isn't as big a deal for the women because only the top 2 teams get the bye in the A10 women's tournament (there is no PIG between 13 & 14).  2nd place is out of reach for SLU because they are 3 back of VCU (12-3).  They're 1 game back of Fordham for 3rd place and split the season series with Fordham so I'm not sure who has the tie breaker.  Not likely that Fordham loses to a bottom feeder St Joes team in their final game anyways.

There is a pack of 3 teams behind SLU with 8-7 records: Duq, UMass, & Davidson.  Duq plays at Bona (4-11), UMass vs Rhody (6-9) and Davidson vs VCU (12-3).  Duq & UMass have easier chances to win than SLU so odds probably favor a 3 way tie between those teams for 4th.  SLU beat both, so they should have the tie-breaker regardless.  They lost to Davidson, so hopefully they can avoid tying with them.

SLU has played a very tough A10 schedule with their 3 H&Hs coming against the the top 3 teams (Dayton, VCU, & Fordham).

I don't think SLU has the resume for an at-large bid no matter what they do the rest of the way, but they have a realistic (or as realistic as the men's team) shot at winning the A10 tournament to secure the auto-bid for their 1st ever NCAA appearance.

Women's NCAA tournament is just 64 teams (no "1st round" games), but the WNIT is also 64 teams.  This website (http://warrennolan.com/basketballw/2020/schedule/Saint-Louis) has SLU's RPI as 88 currently so they should be in decent position for another WNIT bid.  That would be Stone's 4th WNIT bid in 8 seasons after SLU only had 1 (I think) previously in school history.

20 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

SLU beat Richmond last night in Richmond.  Solid road win for the women's team despite not shooting very well.

They're 9-6 alone in 4th place right now with a matchup against 1st place Dayton (14-1) at Chaifetz on Saturday night for Senior night.  SLU lost a heatbreaker at Dayton earlier in the year, so hopefully they can use that as motivation & get the W, but it will be tough.

4th place isn't as big a deal for the women because only the top 2 teams get the bye in the A10 women's tournament (there is no PIG between 13 & 14).  2nd place is out of reach for SLU because they are 3 back of VCU (12-3).  They're 1 game back of Fordham for 3rd place and split the season series with Fordham so I'm not sure who has the tie breaker.  Not likely that Fordham loses to a bottom feeder St Joes team in their final game anyways.

There is a pack of 3 teams behind SLU with 8-7 records: Duq, UMass, & Davidson.  Duq plays at Bona (4-11), UMass vs Rhody (6-9) and Davidson vs VCU (12-3).  Duq & UMass have easier chances to win than SLU so odds probably favor a 3 way tie between those teams for 4th.  SLU beat both, so they should have the tie-breaker regardless.  They lost to Davidson, so hopefully they can avoid tying with them.

SLU has played a very tough A10 schedule with their 3 H&Hs coming against the the top 3 teams (Dayton, VCU, & Fordham).

I don't think SLU has the resume for an at-large bid no matter what they do the rest of the way, but they have a realistic (or as realistic as the men's team) shot at winning the A10 tournament to secure the auto-bid for their 1st ever NCAA appearance.

Women's NCAA tournament is just 64 teams (no "1st round" games), but the WNIT is also 64 teams.  This website (http://warrennolan.com/basketballw/2020/schedule/Saint-Louis) has SLU's RPI as 88 currently so they should be in decent position for another WNIT bid.  That would be Stone's 4th WNIT bid in 8 seasons after SLU only had 1 (I think) previously in school history.

Unfortunately they are going to have to go through VCU and/or Dayton(at UD Arena) in the tournament to do so.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Unfortunately they are going to have to go through VCU and/or Dayton(at UD Arena) in the tournament to do so.

Sh*t.  Didn't realize the tournament was at UD.  They did play them pretty tough there earlier in the year though.  I agree winning the A10 tournament is unlikely, just saying they do have a chance of winning which historically has been pretty rare for the women's team.

Women beat Mason last night in their 1st round A10 tournament game at Chaifetz on the strength of 5 Rachel Kent 3 pointers.  Now they go to Dayton for the rest of the tournament & play UMass on Friday at 2pm on ESPN+.  Winner of that game likely gets #1 Dayton for a chance at the finals.

SLU being on the same side of the bracket as Dayton, the 1-seed and host, is a tough draw.

SLU beat UMass by 15 in their first meeting this season. Not a bad draw for the 5-seed.

I just don't see them getting past UD if they win on Friday.

regardless of how the season ends for the lady billikens, i think it was a good season and shows a good future.   gotta love how the senior year played out for kendra wilken.   that is a very nice story and should serve as an inspiration and testimony for hard work and dont quit attitude. 

slufanskip likes this