Women's Billikens Basketball

was at the ladies game last night (played in the band because of the xmas break shortage of members).   Princeton has a very good team.   they likely are a sweet 16 team at least imo.   was on the verge of really blowing the lady billikens out a couple of times and ended up with a comfortable win.   but not before the billikens came back and got the score back to under 10 in the 4th quarter.  

the stewart girl for the billikens made her debut and had a few spurts where she showed why she was so highly acclaimed coming out of high school.   it will be interesting to see how they work her needed floor time into the billikens as the billikens strength is guards.  who sits?  

brooke flowers showed signs but imo she isnt much above where she was last year.   she rebounded well, but other than the little jump hook going right across the lane, she really needs some footwork and shooting help.   a lot of room to grow.   she is probably the key to this very young team's ability to reach heights that women's basketball has never went.   like i said, guardwise the lady billikens have some potential.   

all in all a fun time and you all should go check them out.   

last thought, a young boy, probably 8 or 9 yrs old, made the 3/4 length of the floor golf shot.   all year i have been saying no one will make that shot.  bam.  it's in the hole.   pretty cool. 

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

was at the ladies game last night (played in the band because of the xmas break shortage of members).   Princeton has a very good team.   they likely are a sweet 16 team at least imo.   was on the verge of really blowing the lady billikens out a couple of times and ended up with a comfortable win.   but not before the billikens came back and got the score back to under 10 in the 4th quarter.  

the stewart girl for the billikens made her debut and had a few spurts where she showed why she was so highly acclaimed coming out of high school.   it will be interesting to see how they work her needed floor time into the billikens as the billikens strength is guards.  who sits?  

brooke flowers showed signs but imo she isnt much above where she was last year.   she rebounded well, but other than the little jump hook going right across the lane, she really needs some footwork and shooting help.   a lot of room to grow.   she is probably the key to this very young team's ability to reach heights that women's basketball has never went.   like i said, guardwise the lady billikens have some potential.   

all in all a fun time and you all should go check them out.   

last thought, a young boy, probably 8 or 9 yrs old, made the 3/4 length of the floor golf shot.   all year i have been saying no one will make that shot.  bam.  it's in the hole.   pretty cool. 

I watched on espn+  It seemed except for like a 20-2 or something close run near the end of the 2nd period the Bills held their own.  Princeton beat Mizzou by 35 and SLU by 16. MIzzou beat SLU by 25. I don't know what happened to SLU that game because Mizzou is pretty bad

BTW … ESPN + is really some of the best money I have spent. I've probably watched 5-6 ladies game on it,  plus a mens game. The ladies still have 7 games that will be shown. The nice thing is you don't have to worry about recording it or anything. Just go to replay and watch.  Today's KState game is on it also

26 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I watched on espn+  It seemed except for like a 20-2 or something close run near the end of the 2nd period the Bills held their own.  Princeton beat Mizzou by 35 and SLU by 16. MIzzou beat SLU by 25. I don't know what happened to SLU that game because Mizzou is pretty bad

BTW … ESPN + is really some of the best money I have spent. I've probably watched 5-6 ladies game on it,  plus a mens game. The ladies still have 7 games that will be shown. The nice thing is you don't have to worry about recording it or anything. Just go to replay and watch.  Today's KState game is on it also

Mizzou shot the lights out 

It was cool that the kid made the golf shot. But...they have now added two more holes to the plywood. The floor cameraman was in my line of sight so I don't know which hole it went through. Remember at the beginning of the year, that shot was end line to end line. When it was obvious there would not likely be a winner, they moved it to the free throw lines.

And yeah, the Princeton women look very good. I was impressed with the Bills that they prevented a blowout.

• 2 weeks later...

Women lost their conference opener last night to Davidson 65-58. After opening up a 10-0 and 15-2 lead they pretty much just couldn't buy a basket the rest of the night. The second quarter was especially bad with a total of 5 points scored. Then we gave up 28 in the third.

I'm stunned at how bad they are at shooting the ball. Lay-ups, short jumpers, treys, it doesn't matter. Can't seem to buy a basket. At one point in the second half, they had made 13 of 53 shots! Ended with 21 of 68 for 31% after kind of waking up in the fourth quarter. Harbison led with 13 points but shot 4-21. That ain't gonna get it done. I thought Wilken did everything asked of her with 11 and 11 playing 30 minutes. Stewart had 11 in 17 minutes. Flowers had 13 boards and 4 blocked shots. Nobody else made a good impression on me.

Need to recruit some shooters.

5 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Women lost their conference opener last night to Davidson 65-58. After opening up a 10-0 and 15-2 lead they pretty much just couldn't buy a basket the rest of the night. The second quarter was especially bad with a total of 5 points scored. Then we gave up 28 in the third.

I'm stunned at how bad they are at shooting the ball. Lay-ups, short jumpers, treys, it doesn't matter. Can't seem to buy a basket. At one point in the second half, they had made 13 of 53 shots! Ended with 21 of 68 for 31% after kind of waking up in the fourth quarter. Harbison led with 13 points but shot 4-21. That ain't gonna get it done. I thought Wilken did everything asked of her with 11 and 11 playing 30 minutes. Stewart had 11 in 17 minutes. Flowers had 13 boards and 4 blocked shots. Nobody else made a good impression on me.

Kent and Clarke are very much shooters. I really don’t see much guard depth. They are built almost the complete opposite to the men in that regard. A ton of post players but only like 3-4 guards that can play.

We are 275th in the country in shooting.  Kent & Clarke have shot really poorly.  Ciaja is never going to be a high % shooter.  She's too small to finish at the rim and when getting her shot contested.  Difference between her and Kemph is that Kemph got noticeably stronger during ehr career, ciaja has not.  Flowers also shoots really bad and again isn't strong enough to finish.  Wilken has obviously worked on her strength and conditioning but it took getting nearly booted from the team to do it.  I thought Stewart would make more of an immediate impact, at least be starting but that hasn't happened.  SLU was picked to finish 4th in the league, above this Davidson team that dominated us.  I was hoping for a postseason berth but we needed to get home wins in conference to do it.  Last night wasn't a good start.

16 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Im too lazy to look it up but the previous games ive been to, kent and clark shot very well and harbison and stewart weren't far behind.

What disappointed me most about last night was what seemed like a lack of effort getting back on defense.   There is no excuse for that.   It resulted in way too many easy baskets for Davidson

Im convinced after seeing her 3x now, stewart is the best scorer on the team.   Of course her defense is a problem.  She is the ladies version of hargrove

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Im too lazy to look it up but the previous games ive been to, kent and clark shot very well and harbison and stewart weren't far behind.

What disappointed me most about last night was what seemed like a lack of effort getting back on defense.   There is no excuse for that.   It resulted in way too many easy baskets for Davidson

Im convinced after seeing her 3x now, stewart is the best scorer on the team.   Of course her defense is a problem.  She is the ladies version of hargrove

Agree with the effort. There were several Davidson breakouts and no great effort to contest. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I caught just a bit of the game yesterday on tv as hosting VCU, was close at the half and then VCU seemed to own the second and Ladies lose one at home

Women's team has been very frustratingly inconsistent this year.  Kendra Wilken is a senior, but it is easy to forget that the rest of their lineup nearly all freshmen and sophomores.

The women beat the Bonnies last night 72-51 at Chaifetz. I've been critical of the shooting lately but last night they shot very well. 50 percent for the night on 25 of 50. And a terrific 47 percent from the 3-line on 8 of 17. Also shot 74 percent on 14 of 19 from the free throw line. Out-rebounded the Bonnie lasses by a decisive  44 to 23.

Another (3rd) double-double for Wilken with 14 points, 12 boards and 5 blocks.

Kent and Traore-Smith had 9 rebounds each. Kent with 10 points also.

A career high for Clark with 24 points.

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

The women beat the Bonnies last night 72-51 at Chaifetz. I've been critical of the shooting lately but last night they shot very well. 50 percent for the night on 25 of 50. And a terrific 47 percent from the 3-line on 8 of 17. Also shot 74 percent on 14 of 19 from the free throw line. Out-rebounded the Bonnie lasses by a decisive  44 to 23.

Another (3rd) double-double for Wilken with 14 points, 12 boards and 5 blocks.

Kent and Traore-Smith had 9 rebounds each. Kent with 10 points also.

A career high for Clark with 24 points.

Bonnies WBB team is pretty awful.  SLU WBB offense seems to be fine against lower level competition, but struggle against good teams who play tough defense.  Big test coming up on Sunday when they play at Dayton.  

48 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Bonnies WBB team is pretty awful.  SLU WBB offense seems to be fine against lower level competition, but struggle against good teams who play tough defense.  Big test coming up on Sunday when they play at Dayton.  

Yeah, I'm not under any illusion or delusion that the Bonnies women are a good team. However, after researching some game results, I find that the Bonnies' one win was against George Mason, also with only one win (over GW) but who lost at Dayton by only 4. So I'm not sure how good Dayton is either. I guess we'll see on Sunday.  By relative scores, we should win at Dayton. I ain't putting any money on it.

It was just nice to see some shots fall last night. Both the Davidson game and the VCU game were winnable with better shooting than 25-30 percent. I was at those games, I'm talking missing numerous open shots and things like layups that have to be made. I know this is kind of a rebuild year and I'm fine with that, I just hope the shooting continues to improve.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Yeah, I'm not under any illusion or delusion that the Bonnies women are a good team. However, after researching some game results, I find that the Bonnies' one win was against George Mason, also with only one win (over GW) but who lost at Dayton by only 4. So I'm not sure how good Dayton is either. I guess we'll see on Sunday.  By relative scores, we should win at Dayton. I ain't putting any money on it.

It was just nice to see some shots fall last night. Both the Davidson game and the VCU game were winnable with better shooting than 25-30 percent. I was at those games, I'm talking missing numerous open shots and things like layups that have to be made. I know this is kind of a rebuild year and I'm fine with that, I just hope the shooting continues to improve.

I'm hoping with more experience next season our offense flows better and we can get more buckets.  I think we're still too young to really understand how to win / impose our will on other teams.  The problem for next season (which was totally unexpected going into this year) will be replacing Kendra Wilken's inside scoring.  Hopefully Brooke Flowers can take the next step and become a more consistent player / offensive threat.

I don't follow WBB closely enough to know how good / bad other teams in or out of our league are.  I use the WBB rankings on warrennolan.com as a reference.  SLU is 149 in his ELO ratings and Dayton is 92 (2nd only to UMass 74 in the A10).

• 2 weeks later...

A few hundred of us stuck around after the men's win over Fordham to watch the women take on Duquesne. The Billikens led for most of the game but fell behind late and were saved when Rachel Kent hit her fourth trey of the game with 1.2 seconds left to put SLU ahead 51-50. A pair of Brooke Flowers free throws sealed it after the Dukes turned it over. The SLU women won 53-50. Kent finished with 16 points and 5 boards.

Another poor shooting game (for both squads) but a win is a win.

Kendra Wilken had her 4th double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds in 27 minutes. Ciaja Harbison with 15 points and 6 assists.

Another nice road victory for the Ladies today, 59-45 over GW.

Held GW to just 33% and 20% from 3.

Billikens shot 40% overall and 56% from 3.

Rachel Kent led the way with 19 points on 6-8 shooting from 3 point range.

Clark had 16 with 7 boards.

Ciaja had 13 points, 7 assists, and 2 steals.

12-9 and 4-4 in A10 play now.

15 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Another nice road victory for the Ladies today, 59-45 over GW.

Held GW to just 33% and 20% from 3.

Billikens shot 40% overall and 56% from 3.

Rachel Kent led the way with 19 points on 6-8 shooting from 3 point range.

Clark had 16 with 7 boards.

Ciaja had 13 points, 7 assists, and 2 steals.

12-9 and 4-4 in A10 play now.

It was nice to see them get a comfortable win! Rachel was en fuego. I’m interested in your take on Flowers. I’ve been really disappointed in her this season. I just don’t really see anything more than great height and length.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

It was nice to see them get a comfortable win! Rachel was en fuego. I’m interested in your take on Flowers. I’ve been really disappointed in her this season. I just don’t really see anything more than great height and length.

Flowers has gone from impact freshman to role player at best.  Ciaja hasn't improved at all either, she's probably worse.  Offseason development is always an issue for womens programs at SLU's level.  Flowers seems like a Brett Thompson type.  I always wonder too why she wears her uniform different than everyone else.