Women's Billikens Basketball

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

This is a 2020 commit - you mean the 2020 class, not 2019, right? They also have a 2021 commitment from Kiyley Flowers (PG from Fort Osage HS in Independence, MO).

Yeah, pretty impressive work here. Ty's excited (although it sounds like there's more than one...):

Is he talking about one commit or two?

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Pistol said:

This is a 2020 commit - you mean the 2020 class, not 2019, right? They also have a 2021 commitment from Kiyley Flowers (PG from Fort Osage HS in Independence, MO).

Yeah, pretty impressive work here. Ty's excited (although it sounds like there's more than one...):

Yeah 2020. They will have two seniors this coming year so that will open up two scholarships for 2020. With Tasia Jeffries transferring that opens a third, but they will have no juniors. So at this point that gives them two more open scholarships for the next two years. They will need another center to back up Flowers. There are fine for next year with Wilkins. She did a good job as backup in 2019. The following year they will have only 3 front line players unless they use the remaining scholarships for bigs. They will be loaded at guard, especially point which is good. I think Harbison can easily slide over to to shooting guard. A good point guard should be able to set her up on drives to the basket and midrange jumpers that she excels at. There is no problem playing multiple point guards if they are capable of scoring which it sounds like they will be.

Great women’s Final Four games last night. SLU women can take a look at some of the Marquette women’s potential recruits. MU loses many players this year. Shemera Williams leads the incoming group.  Popular successful coach Carolyn Kieger, the all time assists leader at the school left for Penn St. after 5 good seasons.  This is a big blow to the Big East as a women’s hoops conference. So there is some recruiting opportunity there. It’s power 5 ir bust in womens hoops these days. Only two sweet 16 teams were non power 5, Missouri St and BYU.  It was Marquette, DePaul and not much else in Big East. Doug Bruno, the highly regarded DePaul coach is still grinding there 33 seasona later. He has two Stl ladies on the roster (Maya Stovall, Sonya Morris) and the all metro player of the year from Stl coming in too.(Marisa Warren)

2 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

The last Stipanovich daughter will be a jr at Clayton next year - best player on JV this year.  Final size not yet known but shows no fear

If she’s on the JV at Clayton as a Sophmore, she has an unbelievable amount of improvement to show to be a D-I player. 

22 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

If she’s on the JV at Clayton as a Sophmore, she has an unbelievable amount of improvement to show to be a D-I player. 

She may play varsity too; my granddaughter was the point guard so those were the games I attended.  I’ll talk to her & get more info.  Steve shows up at all the games.

1 hour ago, Major Majerus said:

She may play varsity too; my granddaughter was the point guard so those were the games I attended.  I’ll talk to her & get more info.  Steve shows up at all the games.

How many quarters did she play?  Players can play a certain number of quarters.  I think it's 5, but someone (@3star_recruit or @thetorch) can correct me if I'm wrong.  So if she played 1 quarter of JV games, should could play the whole varsity game.  If she played the entire JV game, should could play in only 1 quarter of the varsity game.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, slu72 fan said:

My daughter played on very good club teams and high school teams. I cant think of any girls,  that are playing D1 now, that didnt start on their high school varsity teams as freshman

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Here is a link to her bio/stats at Independence CC: http://www.indypirates.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/bios/mikkelsen_victoria_9rwr?view=profile

The numbers here jibe with the numbers quoted in the SLU write-up, but I'm wondering if something isn't quite right.  Averaging 7.5 PPG and 5.2 RPG in just 8.3 minutes per game seems pretty crazy.  If you triple those numbers give her a more normal rotation player's workload, then she's averagomg 22.5 PPG and 15.6 RPG in 24.9 minutes.  You have to wonder why she wasn't getting more playing time at the JUCO level with numbers like that.

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Here is a link to her bio/stats at Independence CC: http://www.indypirates.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/bios/mikkelsen_victoria_9rwr?view=profile

The numbers here jibe with the numbers quoted in the SLU write-up, but I'm wondering if something isn't quite right.  Averaging 7.5 PPG and 5.2 RPG in just 8.3 minutes per game seems pretty crazy.  If you triple those numbers give her a more normal rotation player's workload, then she's averagomg 22.5 PPG and 15.6 RPG in 24.9 minutes.  You have to wonder why she wasn't getting more playing time at the JUCO level with numbers like that.

looking at the stats, she was a turnover machine, averaging two a game, in just 8 minutes per game...also fouled a lot...definitely looks like she has some offensive potential....also said she had 48 assists, which would be a lot for that limited playing time...i would be skeptical of the stats listed...

Looking at juco stats for Perkins this season, I found that certain stats are really unreliable - fouls and minutes, in particular. Fouls were almost never logged. Minutes were generally good for SWIC but all over the place for other teams.

If you look at her game log, minutes are shown as 1 for a number of games. That's skewing the average.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Looking at juco stats for Perkins this season, I found that certain stats are really unreliable - fouls and minutes, in particular. Fouls were almost never logged. Minutes were generally good for SWIC but all over the place for other teams.

If you look at her game log, minutes are shown as 1 for a number of games. That's skewing the average.

Good call.  I didn't think to look at the game log.  Tough to glean much from unreliable stats.  She fills a need for us at least which is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Dusharm transferring from the WBB team.  She was listed as a senior last season so I honestly didn't realize she had eligibility left.  She only played 2 games and I assume was injured, so I guess she got a redshirt year and is likely a grad transfer(?).  She was a minor role player in 2017-18 (29 games, 7.4 minutes per game), but honestly I don't think she was going to get many minutes.  Probably good for her to move on and get some playing time elsewhere.

Looking at the WBB roster to check Dusharm's stats I noticed something kind of weird though.  http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93216&SPSID=632635&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2018.  This is supposed to be the 2018-19 roster, but a few players from last year are absent from the roster.  They are

• Tasia Jefferies who already announced she would transfer and was discussed earlier in this thread.  Update on her is that she's transferring to Bellarmine University (DII): 
  • Amber Lindfors who had transferred to SLU and would be a senior this coming season.  Her twitter is private.  I'm assuming she's be an immediately eligible grad transfer since she sat a year after coming to SLU from Valpo.  Her minutes dropped a lot as the year went on and Flowers took on a bigger role.  I wouldn't be shocked if she was moving on.
  • Evans Zars who was freshman last season and appears to be transferring to Western Illinois based on this tweet:

Zars actually got way more minutes last season than her raw stats indicated she should have IMO.  He was a solid rebounder, but shot less than 33% from the field.  As a big that's not going to cut it.

If Lindfors is in fact gone along with Zars and Dusharm that's 3 bigs from last years team that won't be back.  None of those players were going to be counted on much.  However, it makes depth a little concerning, but the majority of minutes at one big spot were going to Flowers regardless.  Hopefully Kendra Wilken, Marquette transfer Myriama Smith Traore, and the incoming class can pick up the slack.  My guess is that those players transferring saw the writing on the wall regarding playing time and moved on which gives me hope that Smith Traore and the incoming players will be better than those transferring.

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I thought Zars would continue to be a rotation player. She was an excellent rebounder and decent defender. The other three won’t be missed.

Agree with this. I too thought she was a very good rebounder. I'm surprised with this transfer.

I should clarify my comment on Zars above.  I watched maybed 1 game all year last year and am just looking at stats.  Given her stat line I was surprised how many minutes she got.  However, clearly Stone valued her rebounding and other things she brought to the table because she got more minutes than you would have expected.  I don't think she is a massive loss, but is probably the biggest loss of the 4 transfers.

Good news is that Stone keeps bringing in new players who look promising: 

3 hours ago, willie said:

I saw maybe 8 games. Zars was a strong rebounder and good defender. Not everyone needs to shoot and score. While she can be replaced she will also be missed. 

Rebound, Defend.  Have we heard that somewhere before?

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

2020 6' F Nyajuok Toang of Downing Catholic in West Des Moines, Iowa. She's had a big summer and was quickly rising, according to Prep Hoops Iowa.

She has a teammate that is a top 5 player nationally.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/11/16/zoe-caitlin-maggie-and-more-register-names-its-iowa-eight-girls-basketball-picks-dowling-valley-polk/1992086002/