Women's Billikens Basketball

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Ciaja wins Freshman of the year and 2nd team all conference.

Frantz is 2nd team all conference.

McMahan is named DPoy, first ever for women's team, 1st team defense and all academic team.

Flowers is all rookie team and all defensive 1st team as well 

First time A10 FPoy,first time to have 2 players on all defense as well.

Great Job Ladies!!!

These are great accomplishments, so I'm not trying to take anything away, but Harbison got absolutely hosed not making the A10 First Team and has a good argument for POY over Nicole Cardano-Hillary.  Cardano-Hillary averaged 20 ppg to Harbison's 15, but that is the only category where she beats Haribson.  They're the same or Harbison is much better in nearly everything else.  Plus George Mason finished worse than SLU and Cardano-Hillary is just a soph, so it is not total upperclassman bias.

I'm running the numbers comparison now and will post so everyone else can be outraged as well.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the numbers comparison.  Haribson > Cardano-Hillary, but I think Goulding probably should have been POY given a natural bias toward seniors and teams finishing at the top of the standings.  Cardano-Hillary is all low %s and TOs when you look past the gaudy PPG total.

Player Year Tm A-10 Rec  G   MPG   PPG   FG%   3PT%   FT%   Reb   Ast   TO   Blk   Stl 
Harbison Fresh SLU 9-7    30     36.4    14.9    0.416    0.364    0.847     115    136    121        5    51
Cardano-Hillary Soph GM 8-8    29     35.8    20.8    0.370    0.279    0.753     131      90    129        1    64
Scaife Junior Day 10-6    27     32.5    14.9    0.377    0.344    0.620     199      49      59     19    26
Cavanaugh Soph Ford 13-3    30     38.1    16.7    0.358    0.300    0.790     196      71      50        3    28
Goulding Senior Ford 13-3    29     35.8    12.1    0.473    0.369    0.706     244      85      62        7    34
Reed Soph VCU 13-3    26     27.8    12.3    0.425    0.404    0.823       96      59      66        2    33

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

Ciaja wins Freshman of the year and 2nd team all conference.

Frantz is 2nd team all conference.

McMahan is named DPoy, first ever for women's team, 1st team defense and all academic team.

Flowers is all rookie team and all defensive 1st team as well 

First time A10 FPoy,first time to have 2 players on all defense as well.

Great Job Ladies!!!

-Congrats Ladies, this team has exceeded my expectations this season, well done.

Gameday bump.  WBB takes on Duquesne at 6pm at Palumbo Center it's on ESPN+ or I think there is a (free?) live audio stream (http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93216&SPSID=632637&DB_OEM_ID=27200&_ga=2.29171007.2058850991.1551802169-290422120.1545086440).  

I feel like this should be their toughest game since Duquesne is hosting the tournament.  Odds would still be against them, but winning tonight would be a huge step toward winning whole thing.

Hopefully Harbison is locked in and plays with a chip on her shoulder after the all A10 first team snub.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Gameday bump.  WBB takes on Duquesne at 6pm at Palumbo Center it's on ESPN+ or I think there is a (free?) live audio stream (http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93216&SPSID=632637&DB_OEM_ID=27200&_ga=2.29171007.2058850991.1551802169-290422120.1545086440).  

I feel like this should be their toughest game since Duquesne is hosting the tournament.  Odds would still be against them, but winning tonight would be a huge step toward winning whole thing.

Hopefully Harbison is locked in and plays with a chip on her shoulder after the all A10 first team snub.

Complete bullsh*t to have this tournament hosted at a campus site. Low rent garbage.

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Complete bullsh*t to have this tournament hosted at a campus site. Low rent garbage.

playing in a big arena instead isnt all it is cracked up to be.    i wouldnt be surprised if the barkley center next week is over half empty every game of the men's tourney.   cant imagine the emptiness of the women playing their tourney there.   is it fair that dukes get home court?  probably not either.   tough decision.  

45 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

playing in a big arena instead isnt all it is cracked up to be.    i wouldnt be surprised if the barkley center next week is over half empty every game of the men's tourney.   cant imagine the emptiness of the women playing their tourney there.   is it fair that dukes get home court?  probably not either.   tough decision.  

You couldn’t play it at a small college near DC or near Pittsburgh? Really anywhere in the Atlantic 10’s geographical location

We played at the host team's arena all the time in the CUSA days. We even hosted the second one. Here are the non-neutral ones:

1996: The Pyramid, Memphis

1997: Kiel Center, St. Louis

1998: Shoemaker Center, Cincinnati

2000: The Pyramid again

2001: Freedom Hall

2003: Freedom Hall again

2005-until we left: FedEx Forum, Memphis

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We played at the host team's arena all the time in the CUSA days. We even hosted the second one. Here are the non-neutral ones:

1996: The Pyramid, Memphis

1997: Kiel Center, St. Louis

1998: Shoemaker Center, Cincinnati

2000: The Pyramid again

2001: Freedom Hall

2003: Freedom Hall again

2005-until we left: FedEx Forum, Memphis

I get that it used to happen. It’s just annoying to revert back to it. Seems low rent for a conference that tries to flex with the big dogs.

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

You couldn’t play it at a small college near DC or near Pittsburgh? Really anywhere in the Atlantic 10’s geographical location

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I get that it used to happen. It’s just annoying to revert back to it. Seems low rent for a conference that tries to flex with the big dogs.

I agree that it stinks SLU has to play a road game in the conference tournament.  However, isn't it standard for the conference tournament for non-revenue (not MBB) sports to be hosted by one of the conference members?  I think SLU has hosted the soccer and baseball tournaments recently, right?  I would have a problem if they never gave SLU a shot at it because of geography, but as long as they rotate it through all the schools it's fine.   Is it the best / most "fair" format?  No.  Would anything else be practical / cost effective at all?  I doubt it.  Even playing it at a small college is going to have a cost that won't be covered by whatever minimal revenue is generated from the tournament itself.  I also don't see how playing at a small college is any less "low rent" than just have a conference member host it.

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I agree that it stinks SLU has to play a road game in the conference tournament.  However, isn't it standard for the conference tournament for non-revenue (not MBB) sports to be hosted by one of the conference members?  I think SLU has hosted the soccer and baseball tournaments recently, right?  I would have a problem if they never gave SLU a shot at it because of geography, but as long as they rotate it through all the schools it's fine.   Is it the best / most "fair" format?  No.  Would anything else be practical / cost effective at all?  I doubt it.  Even playing it at a small college is going to have a cost that won't be covered by whatever minimal revenue is generated from the tournament itself.  I also don't see how playing at a small college is any less "low rent" than just have a conference member host it.

It's different for every sport. The women's tournament has been a neutral site as long as I can remember. I'd have to check. I think every other sport besides basketball is held at a campus site.

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

We'd look pretty silly if all those big dogs were flexing next to us.

15 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

And the ladies are down 20

Ugh.  I didn't expect really SLU WBB to win this game, but pretty disappointing end to the season with a blowout loss. 

Preface: Stone is easily the best coach SLU has ever had.  I don't think she should be on the hot seat at all.  However, my one criticism of her is that she seems to rely very heavily on a short rotation of players each year and/or really lean on a few players for huge minutes.  Harbison, Frantz, and McMahan played every game and averaged 36.4, 35.8, and 33.5 minutes respectively.  I wonder if those don't catch up to you toward the end of the season.  Example - when we blew out Richmond by 30 earlier in the year Harbinson, Frantz, and McMahan all played 34+ minutes.  Why?  SLU was up 28 after 3 quarters and those players shouldn't have played any more.  There were other games that weren't very close where they continued to play big minutes as well.  

Frantz and McMahan will leave some big voids (a lot bigger than I was anticipating at the beginning of the season), but the future is definitely bright.  Assuming they're 4 year players and remain healthy, I think Harbison and  Flowers finally deliver an NCAA appearance.  I think with expanded roles some of the other freshmen will flourish as well.  Myia Clark in particular I think can fill the outside shooting void left by Frantz.  It seems like we have another good class coming in plus a couple of transfers who will be eligible next year.  

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Lisa has them headed in the right direction. 

Totally agreed.  I just have that one minor criticism about a few key players logging such heavy minutes especially in games that aren't close.

Edit: Then again, I fully admit that my understanding if basketball and especially women's college ball pales in comparison to Stone's.  I know that NBA teams see dividends from getting players regular rest during the season.  No idea how that translates.  Perhaps the less rigorous schedule or less physical nature of the women's college game doesn't wear players down as much and, therefore, developing continuity / familiarity between a few players is more beneficial.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:46 PM, slufanskip said:

Where is Billy Ken? 

Right here. 15-16, get beat by DUQ, then next DUQ gets beat by 42. Stone is greatest coach in SLU WBB history, that is true. In the land of the blind the one eyed women is queen. Good thing she doesn’t coach at McKendree, she wouldn’t have a job. But SLU fans want to build a statue for her. Definition of insanity, myself included posting on this board. Just like over 10 years with the AD, Crews, Men’s Soccer, Situation 1-2, all the Ford hype with the same excitement as when Geraldo opened the vault. Volleyball coach, that if anyone on this board intentionally tried to destroy the program couldn’t do as good as a job, as he does naturally. But we keep same people in charge who make all the mistakes, over promise, under deliver and then let the same leaders fix the problems they created again and again and again. Hey what do I know, I’m just a troll who keeps paying money to watch basketball for years and years hoping with all the potential slu will figure it out....definition of insanity. Just wait until next year, Ford has best class ever coming in, Conklin summers are coming, Stone will play Geno again and thank him for stomping her team, the honor was all SLU’s, but wouldn’t play Lindenwood in preseason. Go Bills! 

1 hour ago, Billy Ken said:

Right here. 15-16, get beat by DUQ, then next DUQ gets beat by 42. Stone is greatest coach in SLU WBB history, that is true. In the land of the blind the one eyed women is queen. Good thing she doesn’t coach at McKendree, she wouldn’t have a job. But SLU fans want to build a statue for her. Definition of insanity, myself included posting on this board. Just like over 10 years with the AD, Crews, Men’s Soccer, Situation 1-2, all the Ford hype with the same excitement as when Geraldo opened the vault. Volleyball coach, that if anyone on this board intentionally tried to destroy the program couldn’t do as good as a job, as he does naturally. But we keep same people in charge who make all the mistakes, over promise, under deliver and then let the same leaders fix the problems they created again and again and again. Hey what do I know, I’m just a troll who keeps paying money to watch basketball for years and years hoping with all the potential slu will figure it out....definition of insanity. Just wait until next year, Ford has best class ever coming in, Conklin summers are coming, Stone will play Geno again and thank him for stomping her team, the honor was all SLU’s, but wouldn’t play Lindenwood in preseason. Go Bills! 

I know why you posted again. They lost. You were nowhere to be found when they were on a nice run of games. I'm only talking about women's basketball not all the other BS. I don't think you're a troll, I think you care about SLU sports. However, with the womens basketball program it seems you fail to grasp that it's a process and it is definitely trending up. Now the next step is to take this frosh class to the NCAA tourney. How is it to wake up everyday and see things in the most negative way possible. Seems to me it makes you bitter. 

I wold suggest everyone temper their expectations for next year, They will be very young still, mostly sophomores and freshmen. Harbison was the point guard but McMahan ran that team and Frantz was just crazy hot the last half of the season. McMahan must have lead the nation in charges taken if that stat was kept. Those 2 seniors carried this team the last half of the season. The youngsters are talented but i think they are going to need another year of seasoning.

2 minutes ago, billiken bball said:

I wold suggest everyone temper their expectations for next year, They will be very young still, mostly sophomores and freshmen. Harbison was the point guard but McMahan ran that team and Frantz was just crazy hot the last half of the season. McMahan must have lead the nation in charges taken if that stat was kept. Those 2 seniors carried this team the last half of the season. The youngsters are talented but i think they are going to need another year of seasoning.

I'm looking forward to seeing Myia Clark step into a larger role, same with Tasia Jeffries.