Women's Billikens Basketball

-6th consecutive and 10th overall ROW for Harbison, she is something very special, keep it going and CStone fill that roster with quality players to get to the Tourney!!

-the A10 announcement on the website doesn't indicate 6 and 10 for Ciaja, I think that is a slight and hope our SID is in the ear to someone in Newport News

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball rookie of week awards:

12          Harris (XU) 2006-07,  Phillips (XU) 2007-08

11          Boothe (XU) 2002-03

9             Raterman (UD) 2008-09

8             Moran (SJU) 1998-99, Kilmowicz (SJU) 2005-06

Harbison with easily the best Freshman campaign in program history.  Hard to believe she's better than Kemph.

With 4 games left on pace to be tops in Freshman points, Free Throws made, FT %,  2nd in assists and steals.  She should break into the top ten single season all time in points, free throws, made, FT%, assists and steals.

Flowers will be 2nd all time in rebounds for freshman with an outside chance of breaking into the top ten all time list.  She has nearly doubled up the best freshman season of blocks and will finish 3rd on the all time single season list for blocks.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Harbison with easily the best Freshman campaign in program history.  Hard to believe she's better than Kemph.

With 4 games left on pace to be tops in Freshman points, Free Throws made, FT %,  2nd in assists and steals.  She should break into the top ten single season all time in points, free throws, made, FT%, assists and steals.

Flowers will be 2nd all time in rebounds for freshman with an outside chance of breaking into the top ten all time list.  She has nearly doubled up the best freshman season of blocks and will finish 3rd on the all time single season list for blocks.

Don’t profess to be a women’s expert but I think Harbison will be better than Kemp. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, willie said:

Don’t profess to be a women’s expert but I think Harbison will be better than Kemp. 

Kemph didn't have a scorers mentality.  She was always the best player on the floor but never played like it.  If her shot had gotten just a little better and looked to score more we would have been to a tourney.

Harbison is not quite the creator Kemph is but she is a scorer.  She's not a great shooter either, but she's better than Kemph was.  

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Kemph didn't have a scorers mentality.  She was always the best player on the floor but never played like it.  If her shot had gotten just a little better and looked to score more we would have been to a tourney.

Harbison is not quite the creator Kemph is but she is a scorer.  She's not a great shooter either, but she's better than Kemph was.  

Completely different players that played the same position. Kemph was 100 mph all the time go, go go. Harbison is more measured much more under control. I would have loved to have seen Jackie play with a team that wanted to play at a fast pace

Harbison imo just glides around the floor what seems effortlessly yet still beats everyone up and down the floor.   Stylewise she reminds me of David Burns

slufanskip likes this

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And this thread needs a Jordan Frantz mention. 72 pts in the last 3. 

From slubillikens.com:

She went 4-of-8 from 3-point range vs. Richmond; her first triple vs. the Spiders vaulted her into second place on SLU’s career 3-pointers list (now with 203) and gave her the Billikens’ single-season record for 3-pointers by a senior (now with 66).

I'm watching the Richmond game now and they said this years Freshman class was ranked 33rd in the country. Think of that a team with the history of SLU's ladies program with the 33rd best class in the country. and we've since added a top 100 player in the transfer. 

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

She does have a great mid-range jumper

The ladies knock off first place VCU 76-60 on Senior night. Now tied 5th with a road game left at Dayton. A win would get them to 10-8 and 15-14. This team is much improved since December. Well done ladies!!

Pistol likes this

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

The ladies knock off first place VCU 76-60 on Senior night. Now tied 5th with a road game left at Dayton. A win would get them to 10-8 and 15-14. This team is much improved since December. Well done ladies!!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Frantz in more of a zone than she was in the first half last night.  VCU was shell shocked.  This team will be fun to watch in the A10 tournament.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

This is pretty amazing. We said a couple weeks ago that 8-8 would be a respectable finish given the strength of their last five opponents, and now they're 9-6 heading into the last regular season game at Dayton. They've now won 4 of the last 5, 6 of the last 8, and 8 of the last 11. Those losses all came on the road, and 2 of them were by 3 points.

They squeaked one out against Dayton at home and I don't expect them to do it again on the road on UD's Senior Day. Still, this team will finish in the 5-7 spot for the A10 Tournament and I sure wouldn't want to draw them.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

They squeaked one out against Dayton at home and I don't expect them to do it again on the road on UD's Senior Day. Still, this team will finish in the 5-7 spot for the A10 Tournament and I sure wouldn't want to draw them.

A top 2 finish in the A10 earns a 1st round bye, but that's not a possibility.  I actually think SLU can finish anywhere between 4 and 6.  Davidson & Duqusense are tied for 3rd at 10 - 5, SLU and UD are tied for 5th at 9-6 and Mason is behind in 7th them at 8-7.  Because of tie-breakers I don't think SLU can pass Davidson or fall below Mason.

• 4th place - SLU would need to win at UD (unlikely) and have St Bona beat Duquesne in PA (very unlikely).  I don't think Davidson losing at VCU (probably a likely outcome) helps at all because SLU lost to Davidson, so I'm guessing they have the tie-breaker.  A 3 way tie in 3rd with SLU, Davidson, and Duquesne would I believe result in Davidson in 3rd, SLU in 4th, and Duquesne in 5th because of tie breakers.
  • 5th place - SLU beats UD, Dukes and Davidson both win or SLU wins, Dukes win, and Davidson loses
  • 6th place - SLU loses.  They have tie-breaker over Mason so they can't fall below them.

Good news is that seeds 3 - 8 seeds host 1st round games in the A10 tournament, so SLU already has another home game locked in.  They're also locked in on not having to face the #1 or #2 seed until the conference semifinals.

With the exception of Rhode Island, SLU has beaten or only lost by 4 points or less to every other team in the A10 (with most losses coming on the road).  That Rhode Island game (a 12 point home loss) really seems like a fluke because URI is bad and will finish 13th in the A10.  Regardless, they're likely to lose before they would ever play SLU in the tournament.  It is not a stretch at all to say that SLU has a very real shot at winning the A10 tournament.

Edit: I just noticed the A10 tournament is at the Palumbo Center (Duquesne).  SLU did win there earlier this year, but I'm hoping it shakes out that SLU can avoid being on the same side of the bracket as the Dukes.  Ideal case I think is, SLU wins, Dukes win, and Davidson loses.  Dukes would be 3rd on on the opposite side and SLU would be 5th with a likely 2nd round game against Davidson who SLU narrowly lost to on the road.  There is an alternative scenario I think where SLU loses and is 6th and the Dukes finish 4th or 5th which also puts them on opposite sides of the bracket.

Edited by RUBillsFan
slufanskip and Pistol like this

22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

A top 2 finish in the A10 earns a 1st round bye, but that's not a possibility.  I actually think SLU can finish anywhere between 4 and 6.  Davidson & Duqusense are tied for 3rd at 10 - 5, SLU and UD are tied for 5th at 9-6 and Mason is behind in 7th them at 8-7.  Because of tie-breakers I don't think SLU can pass Davidson or fall below Mason.

• 4th place - SLU would need to win at UD (unlikely) and have St Bona beat Duquesne in PA (very unlikely).  I don't think Davidson losing at VCU (probably a likely outcome) helps at all because SLU lost to Davidson, so I'm guessing they have the tie-breaker.  A 3 way tie in 3rd with SLU, Davidson, and Duquesne would I believe result in Davidson in 3rd, SLU in 4th, and Duquesne in 5th because of tie breakers.
  • 5th place - SLU beats UD, Dukes and Davidson both win or SLU wins, Dukes win, and Davidson loses
  • 6th place - SLU loses.  They have tie-breaker over Mason so they can't fall below them.

Good news is that seeds 3 - 8 seeds host 1st round games in the A10 tournament, so SLU already has another home game locked in.  They're also locked in on not having to face the #1 or #2 seed until the conference semifinals.

With the exception of Rhode Island, SLU has beaten or only lost by 4 points or less to every other team in the A10 (with most losses coming on the road).  That Rhode Island game (a 12 point home loss) really seems like a fluke because URI is bad and will finish 13th in the A10.  Regardless, they're likely to lose before they would ever play SLU in the tournament.  It is not a stretch at all to say that SLU has a very real shot at winning the A10 tournament.

Edit: I just noticed the A10 tournament is at the Palumbo Center (Duquesne).  SLU did win there earlier this year, but I'm hoping it shakes out that SLU can avoid being on the same side of the bracket as the Dukes.  Ideal case I think is, SLU wins, Dukes win, and Davidson loses.  Dukes would be 3rd on on the opposite side and SLU would be 5th with a likely 2nd round game against Davidson who SLU narrowly lost to on the road.  There is an alternative scenario I think where SLU loses and is 6th and the Dukes finish 4th or 5th which also puts them on opposite sides of the bracket.

Great synopsis. Thanks

I  don't know if it's been mentioned but they play one more home game Tuesday night (March 5th) at 7 pm in the first round of the A10 tourney. Their opponent is yet to be determined. Coach Stone asked everyone to come out and support them and bring 25 or 50 of your friends.

3 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Frantz in more of a zone than she was in the first half last night.  VCU was shell shocked.  This team will be fun to watch in the A10 tournament.

I've always been impressed with her shooting but these last few games she's been unbelievable. She had 18 at the half last night (SLU led 36-26) and finished with 27, a new career high.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I hope you are wrong as i have plane tix and hotel reservations in Brooklyn, ny.

Also, they havent played the opening rounds of the conference tourney at participants sites for a few years now.