Women's Billikens Basketball

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies above .500 in the league at 6-5 after defeating LaSalle. 5 games to go with 4 of them against the top of the league. 8-8 would be a good finish.

AGB91 and Pistol like this

From the game program for yesterday's Lasalle game and I quote:

Ciaja Harbison was selected national Freshman of the Week by the U.S. Basketball Writer's Association for Jan. 28-Feb.3,  becoming the first SLU women's basketball player to earn a USBWA national honor.

(I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else but if so, here it is again.)

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Big road win at the Dukies. Frantz had 24. Harrison with an unbelievable line, 18 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 6 steals.

So like @billikenbill said above, finishing .500 was a reasonable goal before this game, given that 4/5 remaining opponents were above them in the standings. So this is 1 of those 4 teams above them. Beat Richmond at home this weekend, and they will have guaranteed a .500 finish even if they lose out (@Davidson (8-2), vs. VCU (10-1), @Dayton (7-3)).

Frantz had 24 despite going 1-10 from 3.

Harbison has locked up the A10 Newcomer of the Year Award. No question. And Flowers will join her on the All-Newcomer team.

billikenbill and Zink like this

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So like @billikenbill said above, finishing .500 was a reasonable goal before this game, given that 4/5 remaining opponents were above them in the standings. So this is 1 of those 4 teams above them. Beat Richmond at home this weekend, and they will have guaranteed a .500 finish even if they lose out (@Davidson (8-2), vs. VCU (10-1), @Dayton (7-3)).

Hopefully the rest of the A10 shakes out such that they finish 8th place or higher and get to host their 1st round A10 tournament game at Chaifetz rather than go on the road.  The A10 is so bunched up that a finish anywhere from 1st to 13th is technically possible, but the more likely they're somewhere between 5th and 11th.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Big road win at the Dukies. Frantz had 24. Harrison with an unbelievable line, 18 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 6 steals.

Quite the game. Brooke Flowers also went for 10/9. 6-2 in their last 8. Sundays game on TV NBC Sports Network @ 2 PM

On 2/13/2019 at 12:50 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Harbison has also locked up 2nd team all-conference.  She's 2nd in scoring, 2nd in assists, 5th in free throw shooting and 7th in FG percentage. She could make 1st team depending on how the team finishes.

I don't think it is totally crazy to say that Harbison has a good case for A10 POY as a freshman.  I highly doubt she wins because I'd imagine there is some bias toward upperclassmen for the award and toward players on teams at the top of the league instead of middle of the pack.  However, her numbers are right there:

The good:

MIN/G - 36.9 4th in A10

PTS/G - 15.3 - 3rd in A10 - two ahead of her are 20.9 and 16.4 on teams that are at SLU's level or below

FG% - 43.5% - 9th in A10 - the two players ahead of her in PPG are 38.5% (22nd) and 35.2% (34th)

3PT% - doesn't have enough attempts to qualify, but would be 4th in A-10 at 37.8%

FT% - 84.3% - 4th in A10

AST/G - 4.5 tied for 1st in A10

STL/G - 1.5 tied for 10th in A10

REB/G - 3.8 42nd in A10 - still good for a guard

The bad:

TO/G - 3.9 4th in A10 - the 20.9 PPG player has 4.5/G and is 2nd in A10

Eyeballing the number's I'd say the front runner for POY is Davidson's Soph. PG Katie Turner has similar numbers to Harbison (slightly lower scoring and rebounding), but with a lot fewer TOs.  The fact that Davidson has a better record boosts her case as well.  VCU is the top team, but I don't see anyone on VCU whose stats jump out.

I think both Frantz and Flowers should get postseason recognition as well.  Hopefully SLU finishes strong to boost all of their chances.

Edit: Here is the link to the A10 stats page: http://a10stats.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/leaders?DB_OEM_ID=31600.  I hadn't realized before how impressive Harbison's numbers are compared to her peers.  Previously I was looking at her numbers (%s in particular) in the context of men's stats which doesn't really work / makes Harbison look not as good.  

Edited by RUBillsFan
Added link to A10 stats
slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't think it is totally crazy to say that Harbison has a good case for A10 POY as a freshman.  I highly doubt she wins because I'd imagine there is some bias toward upperclassmen for the award and toward players on teams at the top of the league instead of middle of the pack.  However, her numbers are right there:

The good:

MIN/G - 36.9 4th in A10

PTS/G - 15.3 - 3rd in A10 - two ahead of her are 20.9 and 16.4 on teams that are at SLU's level or below

FG% - 43.5% - 9th in A10 - the two players ahead of her in PPG are 38.5% (22nd) and 35.2% (34th)

3PT% - doesn't have enough attempts to qualify, but would be 4th in A-10 at 37.8%

FT% - 84.3% - 4th in A10

AST/G - 4.5 tied for 1st in A10

STL/G - 1.5 tied for 10th in A10

REB/G - 3.8 42nd in A10 - still good for a guard

The bad:

TO/G - 3.9 4th in A10 - the 20.9 PPG player has 4.5/G and is 2nd in A10

Eyeballing the number's I'd say the front runner for POY is Davidson's Soph. PG Katie Turner has similar numbers to Harbison (slightly lower scoring and rebounding), but with a lot fewer TOs.  The fact that Davidson has a better record boosts her case as well.  VCU is the top team, but I don't see anyone on VCU whose stats jump out.

I think both Frantz and Flowers should get postseason recognition as well.  Hopefully SLU finishes strong to boost all of their chances.

-great work on these stats, thanks, I hope she continues this season and for the next 3 seasons with more talent around her 

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Likely a really dumb question, are a lot of the women's games being played during the day or have there just been a couple of one off situations (they played yesterday morning and I think they played Dayton during the day as well)? Just curious.

On the weekends, it’s to aid traveling.

During the week, they are generally to accommodate away games that have elementary school students attending. I believe they’ve had 4 of them this year, plus the game they housed for grade schoolers. There were close to 8,000 st SLU. 

TheChosenOne likes this

I thought the women's team looked good today.  The improvement since I saw them in early January is substantial.  The Harbison girl is very impressive.  And while flowers can definitely use some strength training she is very athletic and plays hard.  I really enjoyed the game.