Women's Billikens Basketball

this thread keeps talking about flowers and harbison which i agree are the center pieces but from my view, granted it was only the uconn game, all of the freshmen are good players.   i left that night thinking she should play all the freshmen most of the time.   

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their class for next season looks solid but I don't know much about women's recruiting.

They have the Houston transfer, Jaidah Stewart, who played at Kirkwood. According to the write-up a couple weeks ago, Stewart "becomes eligible at semester break next season and will have three-and-a-half years of eligibility remaining."

Here's the write-up on the other three. Looks like a point guard (Julia Martinez from Loyola Academy in Chicago) and two wings (Rachel Kent from outside Chicago and Lia Enos from Tuscaloosa, AL). Enos' dad was the offensive coordinator for Alabama's football team but just left for Miami. They all sound like good players in this intro from SLU, but does anyone know how this class stacks up nationally?

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Their class for next season looks solid but I don't know much about women's recruiting.

They have the Houston transfer, Jaidah Stewart, who played at Kirkwood. According to the write-up a couple weeks ago, Stewart "becomes eligible at semester break next season and will have three-and-a-half years of eligibility remaining."

Here's the write-up on the other three. Looks like a point guard (Julia Martinez from Loyola Academy in Chicago) and two wings (Rachel Kent from outside Chicago and Lia Enos from Tuscaloosa, AL). Enos' dad was the offensive coordinator for Alabama's football team but just left for Miami. They all sound like good players in this intro from SLU, but does anyone know how this class stacks up nationally?

The Jaidah Stewart transfer is a bit peculiar. She only played in one game and nothing was really ever said about why she transferred.

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The Jaidah Stewart transfer is a bit peculiar. She only played in one game and nothing was really ever said about why she transferred.

Agreed, but she's also a much higher-level recruit than SLU normally lands. I hope whatever's being left unsaid isn't an issue that will linger.

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

the only thing i will say about the women's program, it seemed when stone first came she had a lot of momentum and had the arrow pointing in the right direction.  then it seemed like she just took a couple of years off recruitingwise.   the good news is her freshmen this year are much improved and seems like she might be turning it around again.   considering our women's program track record and the likelihood of the BoT not spending in the upper regions for a huge turnaround, let her play this out.   i sure as heck dont want to return to the days of shimmy or jill.   

I doubt she took a couple of years off. I think the reality is, how does a program with our history attract top notch talent with very little immediate playing time to offer. The one place I do think we missed was a big Jackie's Sr year which is the year after Sadie left. We were pretty weak inside that year. A good big would have played decent minutes. 

-for this season they should rename the A10 Rookie of the Week Award as Harbison won for the 7th time, a SLU player has won 10 of 12 weeks, CONGRATS, at this is she an all-conf player this season? 

-stack classes Coach, bring in more talent to add to what you have, oh and keep what you have 

The redemption process for the men’s season ticket women’s game comps is a little nutty IMO. They could honestly just print out 200 GA tickets and just hand them out as they get coupons. Instead they have to have a single person working that windo who has to enter every transaction in the computer and print a new ticket. 

My beef regarding tickets is the email for free women's tickets for today's game I got a few days ago. I  ordered and printed out a bunch of tickets (and had to pay 1.50 to TicketBastard for the privilege), gave them to friends/relatives and then found out they wouldn't scan at the gate. I got 'em replaced with no argument at the box office but what is it with this organization?

The women played a good game today. They have shooting skills and are well coached. They played against a zone much of the time with good ball player movement. They worked it in and out and regularly rotated players in and out of the interior of the zone at the free throw line. The men should watch them play against the zone. 

14 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

The women played a good game today. They have shooting skills and are well coached. They played against a zone much of the time with good ball player movement. They worked it in and out and regularly rotated players in and out of the interior of the zone at the free throw line. The men should watch them play against the zone. 

They're also 5-4 in conference, having won 4 of their last 5. Basically going in the opposite direction as the men's team.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

They're also 5-4 in conference, having won 4 of their last 5. Basically going in the opposite direction as the men's team.

-this same thought was in my mind when I saw the score from yesterday, good for the Ladies!!

The women are on the way to being very good. If not next year, the year after if Brooke and Ciaja stay. And I can't imagine they can't see the direction the team is heading and what's possible. 

I went to the George Mason game Jordan F dominated the 1st half and Ciaja the 2nd. Ciaja seemed to look to distribute and run the offense in the 1st half and with Jordan hot (maybe 12 in the 1st half)  The Bills led most the 1st half but GM closed with an 8 point run for a 4 pt half time lead. Ciaja came out the 2nd half looking to score and was literally unstoppable with all of her 16 points coming in the 2nd half. Brooke Flowers went for 8 and 9 but she had it really tough as GM was huge inside. Not tall huge, offensive tackle huge. The game got pretty physical as GM was really just a big bodied team everywhere except their little guard from Spain who played like a guard version of Kevin McHale scoring 29 points. Numerous Bills got knocked down hard but the Bills just got up, kept their focus and pulled away to win by 7. They were up 10 except for a 3 pointer near the buzzer by the guard from Spain. Ciaja also had a 6/2 assist to t/o game. The GM crowd was pretty small. More of you should start getting behind this team as you are really missing out on watching them develop into what I believe will become an all time great SLU team

Tried to record yesterdays game but my dvr (Spectrum which sucks as they've updated the guide and not the hardware to accommodate. They readily admit when you call in most customers have to reset their boxes about once a week) Funny how missing the ladies basketball game pissed me off. I'm really just enjoying this team. 

They will have some big shoes to fill next year with Jordan who is 2nd in scoring behind Ciaja at 13+ ppg. She does most her damage from 3 helping to open up the court. They will also lose Kerri McMahon who is just a very steady influence and good defender kind of a glue player 6ppg - 2/1 a/to ratio and 4 rpg. For the future someone needs to replace Jordan's outside game. Ciaja actually shoots a better percentage but not nearly the volume and it's not really her game nor do we want it to be. However, she is a threat. I think Chloe Rice (frosh) could be the Jordan replacement with more minutes she seems to have the same type of game and a nice looking stroke. She's only shooting 31% on 50 shots but my eye test tells me that will go up with more minutes. Myia Clark and Evan Zars are the other 2 frosh and are both playing about 19 mpg. Those 5 would seem to make a perfect starting 5 going forward. Brooke and Ciaja will definitely be double digit scorers and I wouldn't be surprised to see Chloe Rice get there also though her stats right now wouldn't tell you that as she plays behind Jordan. With that said we have the transfer and 3 guards all 5'10" or taller coming in who could potentially push Myia or Chloe down the depth chart and if that happens I can't imagine we don't surpass the Jackie/Sadie years. 

34 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Looks like Kiyley Flowers is a special basketball player.  And she's only a sophomore:

https://www.linncountyleader.com/sports/20180720/phenom-enal-win-local-girls-help-local-aau-team-to-prestigious-title?template=ampart

This girl sounds like the potential heir apparent to the Jackie Kemph -> Ciaja Harbison PG line.  Best news is that (if everything goes according to plan) she'll be here to learn as a freshman for 1 year backing up Harbison instead of taking the reigns immediately like Kemph and Harbison had to.  That should lead to a smoother transition and less of a down year if Stone can keep stacking talented classes.

slufanskip, Zink and Pistol like this

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The women are on the way to being very good. If not next year, the year after if Brooke and Ciaja stay. And I can't imagine they can't see the direction the team is heading and what's possible. 

I went to the George Mason game Jordan F dominated the 1st half and Ciaja the 2nd. Ciaja seemed to look to distribute and run the offense in the 1st half and with Jordan hot (maybe 12 in the 1st half) it was ok. They led most the 1st half but GM closed with an 8 point run for a 4 pt half time lead. Ciaja came out the 2nd half looking to score and was literally unstoppable with all of her 16 points coming in the 2nd half. Brooke Flowers went for 8 and 9 but she had it really tough as GM was huge inside. Not tall huge, offensive tackle huge. The game got pretty physical as GM was really just a big bodied team everywhere except their little guard from Spain who played like a guard version Kevin McHale scoring 29 points. Numerous Bills got knocked down hard but the Bills just got up, kept their focus and pulled away to win by 7. They were up 10 except for a 3 pointer near the buzzer by the guard from Spain. Ciaja also had a 6/2 assist to t/o game. The GM crowd was pretty small. More of you should start getting behind this team as you are really missing out on watching them develop into what I believe will become an all time great SLU team

Tried to record yesterdays game but my dvr (Spectrum which sucks as they've updated the guide and not the hardware to accommodate. They readily admit when you call in most customers have to reset their boxes about once a week) Funny how missing the ladies basketball game pissed me off. I'm really just enjoying this team. 

They will have some big shoes to fill next year with Jordan who is 2nd in scoring behind Ciaja at 13+ ppg. She does most her damage from 3 helping to open up the court. They will also lose Kerri McMahon who is just a very steady influence and good defender kind of a glue player 6ppg - 2/1 a/to ratio and 4 rpg. For the future someone needs to replace Jordan's outside game. Ciaja actually shoots a better percentage but not nearly the volume and it's not really her game nor do we want it to be. However, she is a threat. I think Chloe Rice (frosh) could be the Jordan replacement with more minutes she seems to have the same type of game and a nice looking stroke. She's only shooting 31% on 50 shots but my eye test tells me that will go up with more minutes. Myia Clark and Evan Zars are the other 2 frosh and are both playing about 19 mpg. Those 5 would seem to make a perfect starting 5 going forward. Brooke and Ciaja will definitely be double digit scorers and I wouldn't be surprised to see Chloe Rice get there also though her stats right now wouldn't tell you that as she plays behind Jordan. With that said we have the transfer and 3 guards all 5'10" or taller coming in who could potentially push Myia or Chloe down the depth chart and if that happens I can't imagine we don't surpass the Jackie/Sadie years. 

-thanks for the info, things look positive for CStone