Women's Billikens Basketball

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

WBBills win 68 - 65 in triple OT.  Flowers finished with 20 rebounds which is 1 shy of tying the single game record.

This is awesome. Final box score. You could probably tell by the final score for a 3OT game, but both teams shot poorly. Flowers has been on a tear lately.

This moves the Bills to 3-3 on the season and squarely into the middle of the conference pack. Dayton was 4-1 heading into this game. Doesn't get any easier from here, as they head to VCU next. VCU is the only unbeaten team left in conference, sitting alone in first at 5-0.

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is awesome. Final box score. You could probably tell by the final score for a 3OT game, but both teams shot poorly. Flowers has been on a tear lately.

This moves the Bills to 3-3 on the season and squarely into the middle of the conference pack. Dayton was 4-1 heading into this game. Doesn't get any easier from here, as they head to VCU next. VCU is the only unbeaten team left in conference, sitting alone in first at 5-0.

Very encouraging win for the future because they lost a lot of close games like this one earlier in the year.

Reported attendance was 6,283.  That's fantastic for a mid-week afternoon game.  Heck, that's fantastic for any game!

In comparison, the game against former #1 and National Powerhouse Uconn only had a reported attendance of 7,100.

32 minutes ago, philliken said:

That's what 17 TO (Slu) vs 5 will do to you.

Wow.  I didn't notice that when I first looked at the stats.  With the shot disparity and TO margin, it is really incredible that SLU won.  Credit to SLU's defense for holding Dayton such a low % from the field.

Harbison has been excellent for a freshman, but still makes a ton of mistakes and has racked up a lot of TOs (79 on the year so far or nearly 4 a game).  Hopefully, as she gets better she cuts those down.  Right now that's really the only downside in her game.

Brooke Flowers in conference  12.7/12.3/3.3. In all games she's 8.2/7.2(7th in A10)/1.9(tied 1st in A10) In todays game she was 13/20/7 3 blocks short of a triple double. Her and Ciaja Harbison are going to be fun to watch over the next 4 years. Ciaja is 4th in the A10 in scoring at 14.7 ppg and 1st in assists at 4.6 pg 

Zink likes this

To add to my post above and to those who think Coach Stone needs to go. We have the 4th leading scorer in the A10, the 7th in rebounds and 1st in blocks and assists. And if you only count conference games I can't imagine someone is ahead of Brooke at 12.3 rpg. All this by 2 freshman. If they continue as they are we could have two freshman players make not just the All Frosh team but I can't imagine they wouldn't be on one of the top 2 All A10 teams

Zink, Pistol and Box and Won like this

42 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

To add to my post above and to those who think Coach Stone needs to go. We have the 4th leading scorer in the A10, the 7th in rebounds and 1st in blocks and assists. And if you only count conference games I can't imagine someone is ahead of Brooke at 12.3 rpg. All this by 2 freshman. If they continue as they are we could have two freshman players make not just the All Frosh team but I can't imagine they wouldn't be on one of the top 2 All A10 teams

Are there really people who think Stone should go? She's the best coach in SLU women's basketball history, and it isn't close. John O'Brien (1976-1989) has the most wins and his win percentage is just a little below Stone's, but he was playing a schedule of mostly lower-division schools. Yes, I know women's basketball has changed dramatically since then and he had a new program (the first coach was only there one year). But if people don't appreciate what Stone has done for this program, then they have absolutely no idea what the program's history is like. They could re-up her for 10 years right now and I'd support the move.

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Are there really people who think Stone should go? She's the best coach in SLU women's basketball history, and it isn't close. John O'Brien (1976-1989) has the most wins and his win percentage is just a little below Stone's, but he was playing a schedule of mostly lower-division schools. Yes, I know women's basketball has changed dramatically since then and he had a new program (the first coach was only there one year). But if people don't appreciate what Stone has done for this program, then they have absolutely no idea what the program's history is like. They could re-up her for 10 years right now and I'd support the move.

The future of the program is so bright they have to wear shades. 

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There is a select one or two but I wouldn’t call it “people”. Those who do have unrealistic expectations 

I will admit to being very disappointed that we didn't reach a tournament with the Kemph class but Stone can be here as long as she wants. I don't really buy the idea of getting a pass because the program used to suck, but I also think she has built a winner and it's only a matter of time. 

slufanskip and Zink like this

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I will admit to being very disappointed that we didn't reach a tournament with the Kemph class but Stone can be here as long as she wants. I don't really buy the idea of getting a pass because the program used to suck, but I also think she has built a winner and it's only a matter of time. 

Yep. If she can stack another solid recruiting class on top of Harbison and Flowers she’s gonna get there by the time those two graduate. Maybe more than once 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

This is fair. I just don't see how anyone could be calling for her job.

While I was pretty bummed we couldn't crack the Tournament at least once with Kemph and her class, I also saw just how fine a line it is for them. The stratification between the haves and have nots in women's ball is greater than in the men's game, where it is undoubtedly getting worse. They had to win just about everything on their schedule and took a couple close but bad losses in each of those 25+ win seasons, and were never really in the picture for an at-large bid.

I still think they're continuing to move in the right direction, though, and you have to feel good about their chances if they can keep Harbison and Flowers together for four years. As @billikenfan05 says, if she can stack a class or two behind them, they'll be set up nicely. If those two wind up being her Lisch and Liddell, then that would be a letdown.

the only thing i will say about the women's program, it seemed when stone first came she had a lot of momentum and had the arrow pointing in the right direction.  then it seemed like she just took a couple of years off recruitingwise.   the good news is her freshmen this year are much improved and seems like she might be turning it around again.   considering our women's program track record and the likelihood of the BoT not spending in the upper regions for a huge turnaround, let her play this out.   i sure as heck dont want to return to the days of shimmy or jill.   

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

the only thing i will say about the women's program, it seemed when stone first came she had a lot of momentum and had the arrow pointing in the right direction.  then it seemed like she just took a couple of years off recruitingwise.   the good news is her freshmen this year are much improved and seems like she might be turning it around again.   considering our women's program track record and the likelihood of the BoT not spending in the upper regions for a huge turnaround, let her play this out.   i sure as heck dont want to return to the days of shimmy or jill.   

That is true, now that I think of it. The Kemph-Gits-Vliet class wound up being her Lisch-Liddell class, not really stacking enough talent behind them. Frantz and McMahan are good but she needed more to make this a Tournament team. Anyway, with Flowers and Harbison now, she can't have four-year gaps between her big-time classes.

The problem was the two years after Frantz and McMahan she got virtually no help. If they could have gotten a couple of good players in those two classes they may have made the tournament. Next year's class looks good on paper although they could use another big. Hopefully they pan out because the freshman class is as good as last year's seniors, if not better. Flowers may already be the best big in program history and Harbison may end up as good as Kemph. They are the foundation for a tournament team.

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That is true, now that I think of it. The Kemph-Gits-Vliet class wound up being her Lisch-Liddell class, not really stacking enough talent behind them. Frantz and McMahan are good but she needed more to make this a Tournament team. Anyway, with Flowers and Harbison now, she can't have four-year gaps between her big-time classes.

She had Stipo too. I think the crux of the problem is the schedule. A10 women’s basketball has almost always if not always been a one bid league. Those 15-16/16-17 teams should have been NCAA tournament teams. Stone opted to go with a less than challenging non conference schedule and put all of her eggs in the A10 tournament basket(even if she had scheduled hard I’m not sure those eggs wouldn’t have been in that basket anyway). They just didn’t pull it off in the A10.

I have been going to 4 or 5 women's games for the last 4 years. While good basketball players the team lacked athleticism. This years team is different. They have several really good athletes. Flowers is the real deal and I believe has the chance to be the best woman' s player of all time. If she can work on her shooting Harbison can be as good if not better than Jackie. Stone just needs to follow with another good recruiting class.