Women's Billikens Basketball

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Speaking of Women's Basketball, I've noticed that they play a lot of their games on mid day during the week. Does anyone know why the A-10 schedules like this?

I know at least one of those day games involves grade school girls. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, willie said:

I know at least one of those day games involves grade school girls. 

I was thinking this as well.  There are usually games that grade schoolers go to as a field trip.  SLU WBB has been very involved in the Girls on the Run program and I know GOTR has gone to these weekday games in the past.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:05 PM, kmbilliken said:

Lindfors hasn't played the last three games. Is she injured?

I can't speak for the past three games, but she was suited up today and took part in all the lay-up and shooting drills before both halves of the game. And no obvious wraps, bandages etc. Flowers has played so well that she's gonna be in there (and she might as well be, with the rebuilding going on and with so many of her fellow freshmen getting so much playing time.) Wilkens has been the first one off the bench to replace Flowers. And Tara Dusharm is back in uniform after being in street clothes earlier in the season although like Lindfors, she did not play today.

I wondered all last year what she (Lindfors) was gonna bring as a transfer big but was not that impressed with the little I saw early in the season. My guess is that she's somewhat low on the depth chart.

Flowers has taken hold of that starting spot.  Her size and athleticism is something the Billikens have never had.  Chance to be a pro in 3 years.

SLU also got a big time transfer today, 3 star Jaidah Stewart.  Led Kirkwood to the State Championship last year.  Signed with Minnesota but was released after their HC left.  Played for Houston for 1 semester but is now back home as a Billiken.  Big local get for Stone.  Goodwin level recruit.  

34 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Flowers has taken hold of that starting spot.  Her size and athleticism is something the Billikens have never had.  Chance to be a pro in 3 years.

SLU also got a big time transfer today, 3 star Jaidah Stewart.  Led Kirkwood to the State Championship last year.  Signed with Minnesota but was released after their HC left.  Played for Houston for 1 semester but is now back home as a Billiken.  Big local get for Stone.  Goodwin level recruit.  

Did she quit Houston after one game? I checked the Houston website and she played in one game and only for 3 minutes. That doesn't sound like a Goodwin level recruit. She sounds like a good player, but not top 100.

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Did she quit Houston after one game? I checked the Houston website and she played in one game and only for 3 minutes. That doesn't sound like a Goodwin level recruit. She sounds like a good player, but not top 100.

I read she was the 25th ranked guard coming out of HS

Lose to Rhode Island at home? 6-11, 1-3 in conference. I was one of 8 people there tonight. I know I will get beat up or called a troll, I don’t care. Such an over-hyped, low bar, little results program. 7 years, 2 NITs. Last post on this, I really hope I’m proved wrong but this whole deal has peaked and now gone stale. Sure they are young, but this isn’t a very good group or a good excuse after tonight. Just my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Lose to Rhode Island at home? 6-11, 1-3 in conference. I was one of 8 people there tonight. I know I will get beat up or called a troll, I don’t care. Such an over-hyped, low bar, little results program. 7 years, 2 NITs. Last post on this, I really hope I’m proved wrong but this whole deal has peaked and now gone stale. Sure they are young, but this isn’t a very good group or a good excuse after tonight. Just my opinion. 

I wouldn't call you a troll but I'm wondering if there is anything you like about SLU athletics?

7 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

And how many NITs in the years prior? Get real man. 

This is the way it works many times. It slow lumpy ride. Starts to recruit better, has the 2 best years in program history but doesn't recruit as well as there is little playing time to offer. As playing time opportunities open up recruiting upticks and a couple of down years while those players develop. Flowers and Harbison are both very good players. Don't know if Ciaja can be Jackie kemph but wasn't she the 1st top 100 recruit? Flowers probably has more upside than Sadie and is averaging about the same as Sadie did as a Frosh in a few less minutes but she has averaged 13.6/10.8 in her last 5 games. Ciaja is bettering Jackie's scoring stats by 5 points a game but is about 1 assist a game lower with about the same t/o rate. Jackie shot more 3's but at a lower %, they shot about the same from the field and Ciaja is a better f/t shooter. They also have 3 other contributing frosh. Myia Clark a guard who if I remember correctly has an A10 frosh of the week award is averaging 5.5/4.5 in 22 mpg, Chloe Rice a 5'11" guard is scoring 4.1 ppg in 15 mpg, and Evan Zars a 6'2" forward is at 3.9 rpg in 17 min. We also just got the transfer from Kirkwood who will be eligible mid season next year who was the 28th ranked guard in the country as a HS Sr. Don't know what happened at Houston, maybe she was injured? The future looks good to me. I'd like to see Stone take the next step now and make the tourney with this group. I'd also like to see her be able to recruit to an already talented roster

willie, RUBillsFan and Zink like this

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This is the way it works many times. It slow lumpy ride. Starts to recruit better, has the 2 best years in program history but doesn't recruit as well as there is little playing time to offer. As playing time opportunities open up recruiting upticks and a couple of down years while those players develop. Flowers and Harbison are both very good players. Don't know if Ciaja can be Jackie kemph but wasn't she the 1st top 100 recruit? Flowers probably has more upside than Sadie and is averaging about the same as Sadie did as a Frosh in a few less minutes but she has averaged 13.6/10.8 in her last 5 games. Ciaja is bettering Jackie's scoring stats by 5 points a game but is about 1 assist a game lower with about the same t/o rate. Jackie shot more 3's but at a lower %, they shot about the same from the field and Ciaja is a better f/t shooter. They also have 3 other contributing frosh. Myia Clark a guard who if I remember correctly has an A10 frosh of the week award is averaging 5.5/4.5 in 22 mpg, Chloe Rice a 5'11" guard is scoring 4.1 ppg in 15 mpg, and Evan Zars a 6'2" forward is at 3.9 rpg in 17 min. We also just got the transfer from Kirkwood who will be eligible mid season next year who was the 28th ranked guard in the country as a HS Sr. Don't know what happened at Houston, maybe she was injured? The future looks good to me. I'd like to see Stone take the next step now and make the tourney with this group. I'd also like to see her be able to recruit to an already talented roster

She's definitely earned another 3 years. Stone is already the best head coach in the programs history and people want her fired, interesting. There are bigger fish to fry: Kent Miller.

13 minutes ago, willie said:

Someone said that Stone hired a new recruiter last year. Don't know if that's the reason but recruiting has gotten a lot better. Athleticism is a lot better. 

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of who does what but the only new assistant coach this year is Kat Martin. Quickly perusing her bio does indicate that she specializes in recruiting, especially the Midwest.

Also, I noticed last night that Mike Geary (who was the associate head coach for several years here) is now an assistant at Rhode Island. Ty Morganthaler is now the associate head coach under Stone.

Big victory in Olean today.  Flowers with 17 12 & 4.  She's been a double double machine since getting put in the starting lineup.  She may end not just on the all rookie A10 team but all conference as well.

slufanskip likes this