2018-2019 Season Prediction Contest

philliken

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't afford a stumble against a low rated OOC team, e.g. a Detroit Mercy. We have to avoid any road losses to weak A10 teams. We have 6 OOC games against P5+ teams: Pitt, SH, Butler, FSU, Houston, and OSU. We have to go 4-2 against them, at worst 3-3. We're going to have a toughie against SIUC in Methdale. 

The key to winning these games is Defense. Good D is there every night. Even good offensive teams have off nights, and I don't think we're a good offensive team. If they play as hard nosed as last year: 

OOC 10-3

A10 14-4

Tourney 3-0

Dance 1-1

But we're going to have a number of nail biters. 

1 hour ago, David King said:

Non-Conference: 11-2

Conference: 15-3

A-10 Tournament: 3-0

Big Dance: 2-1

I'm probably erring on the side of optimism. 

Me too,

Houston, Butler, Seton Hall, and Florida State are tough games but if we’re good and ready for the season then splitting those four is a reasonable expectation.

When you have a team that has Goodwin and Bess as your team leaders that is deep anything is possible.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:09 AM, SShoe said:

24-7 regular season

3-0 A-10 tourney

2-1 Big dance

Total wins = 29

Enjoy the season because it's gonna be a good one.

Ditto for me. Within the regular season, they’ll lose 3 non-conf and 4 in-conf.

It should be fun.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:47 PM, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

After a couple of satisfying wins over the most underachieving teams (SEMO, Troy), SLU could possibly not put on their schedule given with their current caliber. Little do they know sleepers are in the midst. North Alabama, from an abysmal conference, shows their might against the prevailing billikens. Slu puts up numbers in display against the Lions, but the points are not as substantial as when they faced the Division II opponents. Then they triumph trough Seton Hall, amidst the question of their schedule's difficulty, only to haunt them later. They then breeze through 5 or more games, until they reach FSU. Then, SLU has a true challenge, against an unlikely foe. They try their hardest, but FSU's physicality is too much to handle for some players, others have no personal issues with this. Some players are considering the idea of transferring after such a morale shaking event. How could this possibly happen to this team? Some random news cast person says, in reply to SLU's loss. Then It's virtually no difference in the conference play, SLU will maintain a record above .600. Which should qualify them for a top seed in conference play.  With no prior experience or specialized drills in practice, or change in mindset after a loss to Florida State. SLU  will have no chance against the opponent they will face in the conference finals. If it's any team other than Davidson, or a (good) sleeper, I would expect them to win in a fashionable fashion. Then they get a good seed between (5-10) Finally, with their 24-26 wins (means 24 loses in conf final) (26 means win conf final, and round of 64, but not 32)

I think this is a reasonable approach.

Huh?

I think coming out of the non-conference schedule with no more than 3 losses in key for setting us up to have a shot at an at-large bid. I divide the games into three categories...

1) buy games 

2) Games we should win, but could stumble if we have an off day... Butler, Oregon State and Pitt.  Gotta take care of business with these games. No drama, please. Then it comes down to... 

3) These four games, I would be very happy with a split, but at minimum need to win one if we don't stumble in the other games: Seton Hall, Methdale, Houston, Fla State. 

-I'm all on in with the kool-aid, I hope karma indicates we are due for things to go our way, I don't know what changes that has us make shots and value the ball but something happens

-11-2 and 15-3, win the A10 tourney, win 3 more

-Let's Go Bills!

30 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think coming out of the non-conference schedule with no more than 3 losses in key for setting us up to have a shot at an at-large bid. I divide the games into three categories...

1) buy games 

2) Games we should win, but could stumble if we have an off day... Butler, Oregon State and Pitt.  Gotta take care of business with these games. No drama, please. Then it comes down to... 

3) These four games, I would be very happy with a split, but at minimum need to win one if we don't stumble in the other games: Seton Hall, Methdale, Houston, Fla State. 

after the whipping we took in indy last year, i would move butler to category 3.  i would conversely move carbondale aka methdale to category 2.  

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

after the whipping we took in indy last year, i would move butler to category 3.  i would conversely move carbondale aka methdale to category 2.  

French didn't play in that game in Indy, plus Butler will no longer have that tool Kelan Martin and his 20 ppg. We will be fired up and favored to win at the Fetz. Methdale on the road in the middle of the week will be tougher to get up for.