GDT: Game of the Year

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Man. I just want to make the NCAA Tourney

I would pay an obscene amount of money to be guaranteed to make the Sweet 16 this year. Like "sorry no college for my non-existent children" money.

Talk about getting way ahead of myself here...I looked up flights to Minneapolis the weekend of the Final Four earlier today. 

FYI - the "Wanna Get Away" flights are all sold out coming back on Tuesday, April 9th. 

44 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Prediction: Isabell gets 20+ at Semo 

A better prediction for team well being is he plays shutdown defense the whole game and thus gets the minutes to score 20+ 

46 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Lol ok coach ford. I’m sure averaging 20 points a game will bench 

Go back and read my isabell comments the last week.  I've already pretty much said hes the best offensive player on the team.  But we saw last night no matter how well he did on offense if he didn't play defense Ford benched him.   

So I'm saying if he doesn't get it together defensively he might not get the opportunity to play enough to score 20 points.   Against a semo the odds are the billikens can win without his presence.   Ford will likely make that defense first point again.    

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Go back and read my isabell comments the last week.  I've already pretty much said hes the best offensive player on the team.  But we saw last night no matter how well he did on offense if he didn't play defense Ford benched him.   

So I'm saying if he doesn't get it together defensively he might not get the opportunity to play enough to score 20 points.   Against a semo the odds are the billikens can win without his presence.   Ford will likely make that defense first point again.    

My point is, he will get the playing time to score if he is the leading scorer. Again i wouldn’t judge his defense from an exhibition 

28 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

My point is, he will get the playing time to score if he is the leading scorer. Again i wouldn’t judge his defense from an exhibition 

Isabell had like 9 of the first 12 points last night then got benched.   It sure seemed Ford was determined to make isabell see his way last night and cant see him relenting Tuesday on that thought process

49 minutes ago, almaman said:

what was his rep on D in the 4 years he's played?

He does a good job of keeping both teams in the game.

almaman and rgbilliken like this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Isabell had like 9 of the first 12 points last night then got benched.   It sure seemed Ford was determined to make isabell see his way last night and cant see him relenting Tuesday on that thought process

Again, exhibition against a d2 school vs real games. Time will tell

4 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Again, exhibition against a d2 school vs real games. Time will tell

And he loafs on D in practice. Now, maybe he’s just saving his energy for the games that matter (I hope so), but if he can’t play D then Roy is right, Ford will send a message. 

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

Anyone remember what Spoon use to say about Highmark and his D? I do, and Highmark is considered an all time great.

Im going to let this play out a bit before I make a decision.

Claggett and Highmark were poor 1 on 1 defenders but they played good team defense, read passing lanes, clogged the middle on drives, forced guys to their weakside.  The effort was always there.  I've yet to see that from Isabell.

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Claggett and Highmark were poor 1 on 1 defenders but they played good team defense, read passing lanes, clogged the middle on drives, forced guys to their weakside.  The effort was always there.  I've yet to see that from Isabell.

If he’s not giving the effort I agree bench his butt.

if he just sucks I’d revert back to Spoon and tell him to make sure he outscores the guy he is guarding.

Zink likes this

Just now, dlarry said:

If he’s not giving the effort I agree bench his butt.

if he just sucks I’d revert back to Spoon and tell him to make sure he outscores the guy he is guarding.

Yup. And there should be 4 plus defenders around him. Think poor man’s Isaiah Thomas. We’re gonna need the scoring for sure

Isabell's issues are not limited to his poor defense effort, in the last exhibition game he was credited with 7 or 8 (cannot remember exactly) TOs out of a total of 18, too many by anyone's count. On the good side he is a good scorer, will be defended heavily opening up other players, and makes a lot of assists. Ford will have to deal with him in a way that he maximizes the good and minimizes the bad he brings into our game.