GDT: Game of the Year

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Remember that game at Richmond in the early Majerus years when we didn't make a FT or a 3-pointer (and I believe Ken Pomeroy said we were the only team to do it since basically right when the 3-point line was implemented)?

This seems like a team that could do that, but also win.

succinct way of saying what I've been feeling (mainly when it looked like we had Santos) this team has inside ability to dominate in the paint and around the basket. We had 21 offensive rebounds one less than on D! Big 3 have ability to go 2 for 3 inside the paint all year.

Remember when the Original Dream Team lost to a bunch of college kids?

Coach K later came out and said Chuck Daly orchestrated that loss to teach the team a lesson.

Then the Dream Team went out and smashed Cuba by like 734 points? 

I’m thinking this game is like that.

SEMO should be worried. I think they are going to play the role of Cuba in next game.

Yea I will take the approach that tonight was a good thing.  As Ford has said, they have a lot of new kids so still a lot of learning, they were picked 1st in the A10 but haven't proven anything yet.  I would much rather them go into the season having a bad game that they still won by 20+ but should be embarrassed by how they played and wanting to prove they are better than that then going in thinking it'll be easy.  

Too many TOs   18% from the 3 or something like that  55% or so from the FT line  First time I saw them this year and I was not impressed.  Yes I know it is an exhibition game and I am not tearing my hair out but somethings seem to continue - poor FT shooting and poor 3pt shooting.  Hopefully these improve or you can forget about winning the A10

26 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Remember when the Original Dream Team lost to a bunch of college kids?

Coach K later came out and said Chuck Daly orchestrated that loss to teach the team a lesson.

Then the Dream Team went out and smashed Cuba by like 734 points? 

I’m thinking this game is like that.

SEMO should be worried. I think they are going to play the role of Cuba in next game.

That 734 point differential record still stands I'm guessing.

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Two exhibition game totals;

60 of 124 FG, 48.3%

12 of 43 3FG, 27.9%

24 of 42 FT, 57.1%

41 Assists and 34 turnovers

anyway to figure out for just the first 6? Stat wise seems like 7-10 guys not doing well statistically. BTW now exhibition games in the can hats off to coach for distributing the minutes and experimenting with lineups. Unless really challenged in first 3 games I don't see a lot of PT for anyone past 7 unless we are 30 points ahead.

14 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Yea I will take the approach that tonight was a good thing.  As Ford has said, they have a lot of new kids so still a lot of learning, they were picked 1st in the A10 but haven't proven anything yet.  I would much rather them go into the season having a bad game that they still won by 20+ but should be embarrassed by how they played and wanting to prove they are better than that then going in thinking it'll be easy.  

I'm taking this approach as well. Offensively, they were out of sorts and frustrated against an inferior opponent. Ford knows how to use this to motivate them and heighten their focus moving forward. Defensively, they showed some good things. I almost got the sense that they checked out when they held UMSL without a field goal for the first 8 minutes.

This game is precisely why teams play exhibition games. Furthermore, lackluster performances in these games by good teams are not unusual, especially when the team is still developing chemistry. To kick off the 2011-2012 season (one that ended just shy of a Sweet 16 appearance), we did not look like world beaters in the exhibition games. We beat Cardinal Stritch 66-44 despite 15 turnovers. We then beat St. Ambrose 72-61 (holding on to what was only a 3 point lead with 5 minutes to go) after shooting 40.3% from the floor and 12.5% from 3.

I was there and this is what I saw, I do not have the stats of the game available:

French was superb, scored over 20 and was in the midst of what became a melee under the baskets. Isabell did very well and so did Goodwin. 

The team as a whole played very physical basketball with lots of rebounds, steals and blocks. There were turnovers galore, more for them than for us. This was a very street brawl type of game which we dominated, not without some difficulty at times. It reminded me about the style of VCU under Shaka but not as refined and well practiced. However sloppily we played, we were doing it and getting away with it. The refs were atrocious. The tempo of the game was very high all the time.

Things I definitely did not like. Goodwin lost his cool with one of the bad ref foul calls (his 4th) and mouthed out to him. This caused him to get a technical 5th foul and gave a number of extra points to UMSL. This is something the team has to be drilled to avoid. The second thing that worried me is that Hankton started playing well and smoothly until he wound up in the floor after a collision/foul from a UMSL player. Afterwards he visibly limped and was uncomfortable with his foot. At the half he took longer to rejoin the team, possibly due to treatment or taping by the therapist. He still limped in the second half, this is not good.

So, there is good and bad here, the team has to play together better and in a less sloppy fashion, but I love the tempo and physicality of the play. I know the number of TOs was high at 18, but I do not see how they can play like they did without TOs. I like the way the season has started, they need to gel together better and control their tempers better. The only real issue I see is Hankton's limping on the court.

Looking forward to next Tuesday and the beginning of the official season.

43/25/62....translates into D- / F- / F-...not that different from last year....but this doesn't count....and was this a bad shooting game or was this a preview....we will have to wait and see....

This is a new team...it will take time to gel....My take is that  FT shooting is FT shooting....that needs to get better  or it will cost us in close games. More concerning ...is TOs ...24 way too many...even in an early game ...UMSL was a weak team ....Generally if you give up 20 or more TOs in a D1 game ...you lose.  We won because UMSL had more TOs than we did.

The good....41 Rebs...8 blks....15 stls...all impressive numbers ...yes even for an exb game.

As for shooting ...besides the misses there were some impressive athletic shots.

Bottom line....Team played sloppy mixed with cold shooting....Team needs to gel....Ford has a good history of melding players into a team and reaching their potential.  This is a better team than last year.....Does that mean we will do better?....Depends on how long it takes to come together....

I am working on my preseason forecast now....It should be interesting....

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I was there and this is what I saw, I do not have the stats of the game available:

French was superb, scored over 20 and was in the midst of what became a melee under the baskets. Isabell did very well and so did Goodwin. 

The team as a whole played very physical basketball with lots of rebounds, steals and blocks. There were turnovers galore, more for them than for us. This was a very street brawl type of game which we dominated, not without some difficulty at times. It reminded me about the style of VCU under Shaka but not as refined and well practiced. However sloppily we played, we were doing it and getting away with it. The refs were atrocious. The tempo of the game was very high all the time.

Things I definitely did not like. Goodwin lost his cool with one of the bad ref foul calls (his 4th) and mouthed out to him. This caused him to get a technical 5th foul and gave a number of extra points to UMSL. This is something the team has to be drilled to avoid. The second thing that worried me is that Hankton started playing well and smoothly until he wound up in the floor after a collision/foul from a UMSL player. Afterwards he visibly limped and was uncomfortable with his foot. At the half he took longer to rejoin the team, possibly due to treatment or taping by the therapist. He still limped in the second half, this is not good.

So, there is good and bad here, the team has to play together better and in a less sloppy fashion, but I love the tempo and physicality of the play. I know the number of TOs was high at 18, but I do not see how they can play like they did without TOs. I like the way the season has started, they need to gel together better and control their tempers better. The only real issue I see is Hankton's limping on the court.

Looking forward to next Tuesday and the beginning of the official season.

Great assessment of the game.  Much appreciated.

almaman and brianstl like this

49 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

43/25/62....translates into D- / F- / F-...not that different from last year....but this doesn't count....and was this a bad shooting game or was this a preview....we will have to wait and see....

This is a new team...it will take time to gel....My take is that  FT shooting is FT shooting....that needs to get better  or it will cost us in close games. More concerning ...is TOs ...24 way too many...even in an early game ...UMSL was a weak team ....Generally if you give up 20 or more TOs in a D1 game ...you lose.  We won because UMSL had more TOs than we did.

The good....41 Rebs...8 blks....15 stls...all impressive numbers ...yes even for an exb game.

As for shooting ...besides the misses there were some impressive athletic shots.

Bottom line....Team played sloppy mixed with cold shooting....Team needs to gel....Ford has a good history of melding players into a team and reaching their potential.  This is a better team than last year.....Does that mean we will do better?....Depends on how long it takes to come together....

I am working on my preseason forecast now....It should be interesting....

This was not a top A-10 team tonight.  Looked like last year.  I'm hopeful, but????

Gister, no we did not play like last year, we were constantly trying, successfully, to steal the ball from them and the play was distinctly more physical than last year.

UMSL, who plays in the same league as Quincy, had obviously seen the prior exhibition game, or film from the prior exhibition game, and targeted some of our players for special attention. This may be part of the reason that French got his 21 points, he did not score well in the prior game. Another thing which is quite clear is that our current depth allows a lot more flexibility. They neutralize one player, we have another player to score with, etc... Last year we had no depth at all, we do this year. I fully agree we need to work on the FTs, the TOs were bad but not terrible for the tempo and intensity of the game. 

I seem to recall Syracuse lost to Lemoyne in an exhibition game one year, then went on to reach the Final 4. Hard to really judge these contests. Didn't one of Dead's teams score like a 100 in one of these games, maybe vs Harris Stowe? That didn't exactly presage the dreadfulness to follow. Not a bad thing to get a game like this out of a team's system. Brings them back down to earth. Yes, the TO's are worrisome as most D1 teams will convert those into buckets. The poor FT shooting, however, is really worrisome as teams won't be afraid to foul French, Gordon, Foreman, or anyone else playing on the inside.

The sky is falling!!!!!  Haha, it is an exhibition game, we will be fine.  In other news, my kid dominated by getting pictures with SLU cheerleaders, the Billiken and Kyle Cassity.  We did our best to avoid 05 but we had a few brief convos.  

24 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

The sky is falling!!!!!  Haha, it is an exhibition game, we will be fine.  In other news, my kid dominated by getting pictures with SLU cheerleaders, the Billiken and Kyle Cassity.  We did our best to avoid 05 but we had a few brief convos.  

Dude you gotta keep your kid at home. Guys bring their wives and girlfriends to games.

I'm not particularly alarmed, either - and we still won by 22 - but I think the thing that last night illustrates is how this team will lose games. It's not a good shooting team, the two lead guards are learning to play together and neither is a pure PG, and really we've only had 4 guys on the roster play together before - for just one season.

So we knew that even though this team will win a lot of games, they're not always going to win pretty, and that they'd take some losses that will probably be extra-ugly. The hope is that we don't have too many off nights shooting the ball, and that our guys learn to play together as the season progresses, especially Goodwin and Isabell, and preferably sooner than later.

This also underlines why their effort can never sag. DEFEND, REBOUND.

The sky isn't falling. They are who we thought they were.

10 hours ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

I'm taking this approach as well. Offensively, they were out of sorts and frustrated against an inferior opponent. Ford knows how to use this to motivate them and heighten their focus moving forward. Defensively, they showed some good things. I almost got the sense that they checked out when they held UMSL without a field goal for the first 8 minutes.

This game is precisely why teams play exhibition games. Furthermore, lackluster performances in these games by good teams are not unusual, especially when the team is still developing chemistry. To kick off the 2011-2012 season (one that ended just shy of a Sweet 16 appearance), we did not look like world beaters in the exhibition games. We beat Cardinal Stritch 66-44 despite 15 turnovers. We then beat St. Ambrose 72-61 (holding on to what was only a 3 point lead with 5 minutes to go) after shooting 40.3% from the floor and 12.5% from 3.

Yep, it's the annual freak out over exhibition games thread. As you point out, even in the Jordair years some of these exhibition games were ugly and folks would over-react. The good news is Ford can really use this as a wake up call for the team. I'm ready for real games now.

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dude you gotta keep your kid at home. Guys bring their wives and girlfriends to games.

Why were you were sitting with Kyle then?  I actually purchased another ticket this season so I can start bringing my middle boy.  Now that you sit so close I am wondering if I can get a refund! haha