Practice Tuesday

11 minutes ago, billikenblue said:

Happened to be at practice when Jacobs was told the news. Great to see the reaction by the coaches and the team as he ran to the locker room to get ready.    

Lots of offense / defense transition drills with top 7 players rotating as the white team and the blue team held it's own.

Thatch is SO strong and has a motor that does not stop.

Tramaine and Dion both great shooters

Chemistry of the team still a work in progress but will definitely be there soon

Gordon is talented but still learning how to play at this level. His effort is there though which is encouraging.

French and DJ both ready for a big year 

Goodwin and Tramaine have not figured out their roles as both of them like having the ball.  Since they will both be playing lots of minutes together still a work in progress. 

Once the season rolls and Travis gets into a 8 man rotation may not see the freshman alot but they are a solid core of talent for the future and definitely push the starters in practice. 

No matter how this all plays out Travis has turned the team around very quickly after the disaster that Crews left. It is a great time to be a Billiken fan again.

Top 7: Isabell, Goodwin, French, Foreman, Gordon, Bess, and Wiley?

Goodwin and Isabell coexisting is my main chemistry concern. I don't think there's any issue with desire or effort, it's just a matter of things clicking when they're in action. They both expect to have the ball, for sure.

14 minutes ago, billikenblue said:

Happened to be at practice when Jacobs was told the news. Great to see the reaction by the coaches and the team as he ran to the locker room to get ready.    

-great report, thanks, who got to be the bearer of the good news? kind of a cool thing to get to do,  to tell a player they can play again

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Goodwin and Isabell coexisting is my main chemistry concern. I don't think there's any issue with desire or effort, it's just a matter of things clicking when they're in action. They both expect to have the ball, for sure.

Have a similar concern. Just hoping winning cures all inter squad rivalries. 

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You have to think Thatch will have the first shot at #8 with the comments Coach has made.  Hankton may need to be that 9th man with the now lack of big bodies inside.

Similar chemistry concerns.  Coach has expressed as much.  "He (Isabell) needs to get used to his teammates and his teammates need to get used to him."

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

No doubt, this is the top 7 rotation to start.  The biggest question I have is who emerges a the first guard off the bench - Wiley or Thatch - by season end. 

I also think Foreman will get the starts initially, but I think Gordon will eventually become the starter. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You have to think Thatch will have the first shot at #8 with the comments Coach has made.  Hankton may need to be that 9th man with the now lack of big bodies inside.

Similar chemistry concerns.  Coach has expressed as much.  "He (Isabell) needs to get used to his teammates and his teammates need to get used to him."

Totally agree & Hankton becomes more critical with the absence of Welmer.

Goodwin had no problem last year figuring out his role.  Isabell is use to being a main scorer - given our struggles on offense last year how can this be a problem?  I am not the least concerned about the two coexisting productively.  This is what practice and exhibition games are all about.  Be patient it will all work out.

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

while i get your hankton comment, i would bet that if we need the 4th "big" it will come in the way of playing 4 guards with bess taking the role of the second big on defense.   i think the step down to hankton at this point is likely too great, however i recognize we havent seen him play much at this point yet.    once hankton earns his time, maybe he indeed becomes a 4th game big.    

dlarry likes this

26 minutes ago, SShoe said:

No doubt, this is the top 7 rotation to start.  The biggest question I have is who emerges a the first guard off the bench - Wiley or Thatch - by season end. 

I also think Foreman will get the starts initially, but I think Gordon will eventually become the starter. 

i think most of us are thinking that, however, i will say that foreman plays hard and is so active on defense especially when we show that 1-3-1 zone defense with him out front.   it has to be hard to move a player ahead of another when the likes of foreman plays with so much energy and enthusiasm.   

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

while i get your hankton comment, i would bet that if we need the 4th "big" it will come in the way of playing 4 guards with bess taking the role of the second big on defense.   i think the step down to hankton at this point is likely too great, however i recognize we havent seen him play much at this point yet.    once hankton earns his time, maybe he indeed becomes a 4th game big.    

I do agree that we will see a lot of 4 guard sets.  But it was Coach Ford who said, yesterday, Hankton, being 6'8", will be his 4th big, replacing Bess in that specific rotation.  It could be mostly for practice reasons, but you never know.  KC had been out two weeks with his pinkie toe injury.

regardless it is nice we are discussing our "4th option".  geez even in the jett years, we only had 4 players that were playing worthy.  4 fricking very good players, but the step down after jett, evans, mccall and loe was very steep.  

Zink likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Based on practice and what I observed you are spot on. The best part of the top 7 is they are all active and can be interchanged due to versatility. I could even see DJ , French and Gordon on the floor at the same time depending on matchups.

almaman likes this

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

regardless it is nice we are discussing our "4th option".  geez even in the jett years, we only had 4 players that were playing worthy.  4 fricking very good players, but the step down after jett, evans, mccall and loe was very steep.  

lest we forget having full roster makes practices more intense and complete.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Maybe that class' senior year, but if we're looking at all of the "Jett Years," then we definitely had more than just 4 worth playing. Regardless, I agree with your overall point

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, billikenblue said:

Based on practice and what I observed you are spot on. The best part of the top 7 is they are all active and can be interchanged due to versatility. I could even see DJ , French and Gordon on the floor at the same time depending on matchups.

Ford has said this.