Travis Ford On 590

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

It’s incredible. 

Did they not read the response?

Here is how I read it:

1. Our guy transferred to UM.

2. UM asked us to lie about why he transferred. We told them we wouldn’t lie for them.

3. UM asked us to lie....again. We told them no....again.

4. If they would have been honest we would have helped in getting the waiver.

Am I missing anything here?

Anybody going to ask BenFred about this? 

I like BenFred but if he doesn’t write some type of retraction or follow up I’ll lose a lot of respect for him.

He tweeted that it's "he said, she said" and that some of the things Evansville said is "shaky at best".  He is in full Mizzou fan mode on this one. Or I am sure this is the one thing to finally take a stand on because "it's what's best for the kids."  

Benfred logic "it's okay to convince a 17 year old kid they don't need to stick with their word, they didn't sign anything and my coach is really good at getting 17 year olds to change their mind" and "what a terrible school, they aren't going out of their way to help my school and now this kid has to train and practice for a year while getting a free education and can end up perhaps with a free masters too.  Poor kids, the school is just trying to hurt them!"

Billikid likes this

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, it wasn't 590 but 1120 with Mike Kelly yesterday.  A couple interesting points.  It has been tough getting Thatch and Jacobs in because the games have been so tight.  Coach says they HAVE to get them ready by conference. 

Coach said they 'fed the post 28 times last night'.  Half or more of our three's are coming from inside-out plays.  "Our big guys get as many touches as anyone."

On finishing with 4 guards, with Gordon as the big, Coach said Gordon was doing so many good things offensively against their zone that he decided to leave him in instead of using French.

He spent a lot of time on how tight games are being called.  "I don't like it.  It is what it is."  "When you call as many light fouls, it becomes a very inconsistent game."  "They do this every two or three years.  They will lighten up during the year.  We are calling fouls that do not matter.  They are really emphasizing illegal screens."

Goodwin - "last night is what we need from him".  Likes his rebounding in particular. 

N. Alabama - "I don't know a lot about them".  He hasn't looked at the tapes or scouting report yet (Sunday mid morning). 

Hoosier Pal, I do not think anyone knows much about North Alabama, except that this is their first D1 year. They have played two games, the first against Samford (Lost 74-91), the second against Blue Mountain College (W 72-59). By the way I do not think Blue Mountain College is a D1 school.  

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Hoosier Pal, I do not think anyone knows much about North Alabama, except that this is their first D1 year. They have played two games, the first against Samford (Lost 74-91), the second against Blue Mountain College (W 72-59). By the way I do not think Blue Mountain College is a D1 school.  

They're NAIA. Some NAIA men's programs are actually pretty solid as they can offer 11 full scholarships. They can also split the scholarships in half so you can have 15 or more players on a roster all on full or partial scholarships.

11 hours ago, billikenbill said:

They're NAIA. Some NAIA men's programs are actually pretty solid as they can offer 11 full scholarships. They can also split the scholarships in half so you can have 15 or more players on a roster all on full or partial scholarships.

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

I did not know that, thank you.

They're new to D-I as of this season, coming from the Gulf South Conference in D-II. California Baptist is the other new D-I school this year, so there are now 353 programs at this level.

This is also Savannah State's last season in D-I, as they're dropping down to D-II next year. Seems like we saw them a lot in non-conference play over the years.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

They're new to D-I as of this season, coming from the Gulf South Conference in D-II. California Baptist is the other new D-I school this year, so there are now 353 programs at this level.

This is also Savannah State's last season in D-I, as they're dropping down to D-II next year. Seems like we saw them a lot in non-conference play over the years.

I’ve always wondered how a program handles the D1 to D2 move. You always hear about the transitioning upward but never about the downward. Following the Savannah state program this year Would make for an excellent docu series imo.

AGB91 likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ve always wondered how a program handles the D1 to D2 move. You always hear about the transitioning upward but never about the downward. Following the Savannah state program this year Would make for an excellent docu series imo.

I'd be curious, too.

Of all the bottom-tier D-I teams we've played over the years, Savannah State always struck me as the one that was struggling the most. I've read things about their budget being miniscule compared to even other peer schools, and that's driving their move back down to D-II. Horace Broadnax has been their coach since 2005; the season before he started, they went 0-28. They originally moved up in 2000.

I remember playing them either my freshman or sophomore year, and our staff was complaining about their exceptionally poor quality as an opponent. I think their coach (Ed Daniels) even had recent middle school basketball listed on his resume. He was basically just a local Savannah guy who coached HS and lower-level basketball before getting the SSU job when they were in D-II and getting ready to make the transition. He did play at Marquette and Indiana back in his playing days, though.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'd be curious, too.

Of all the bottom-tier D-I teams we've played over the years, Savannah State always struck me as the one that was struggling the most. I've read things about their budget being miniscule compared to even other peer schools, and that's driving their move back down to D-II. Horace Broadnax has been their coach since 2005; the season before he started, they went 0-28. They originally moved up in 2000.

I remember playing them either my freshman or sophomore year, and our staff was complaining about their exceptionally poor quality as an opponent. I think their coach (Ed Daniels) even had recent middle school basketball listed on his resume. He was basically just a local Savannah guy who coached HS and lower-level basketball before getting the SSU job when they were in D-II and getting ready to make the transition. He did play at Marquette and Indiana back in his playing days, though.

I watched some of Jackson State vs Bonnies the other day and Jesus Christ, they should drop down to the high school level. That Bonaventure didn’t beat them by 65 is sad. I’ve never seen a D1 team that bad. And yes, that includes all of the Crews era. 

On 11/12/2018 at 4:24 PM, Old guy said:

20 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Just in case there's any confusion about my post, I was saying that Blue Mountain College is an NAIA school. NAIA schools are generally better than D-3 teams because of their scholarship quantity and being able to split them among players. The better NAIA teams can beat D-2 teams. Of course, the greatest college basketball upset of all-time was NAIA Chaminade beating #1 ranked Virginia and Ralph Sampson.

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Just in case there's any confusion about my post, I was saying that Blue Mountain College is an NAIA school. NAIA schools are generally better than D-3 teams because of their scholarship quantity and being able to split them among players. The better NAIA teams can beat D-2 teams. Of course, the greatest college basketball upset of all-time was NAIA Chaminade beating #1 ranked Virginia and Ralph Sampson.

Virginia can’t catch a break.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Coach Ford was on Frank's show today. Talks about the Butler game and the incoming recruits. Says Collins is one of the best point guards in the country.

Here is the link to the Audio:

Go to segment 2

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

jalen-rose-owned-by-nick-van-excel-towel

-last night I listened to the podcast of CFord with Frank and found it interesting that CFord thinks he may have put in too many options on offense and that was hindering getting to a proper flow, too much thinking, we'll see on Saturday, and beyond, how it goes

-still excited about this game

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-last night I listened to the podcast of CFord with Frank and found it interesting that CFord thinks he may have put in too many options on offense and that was hindering getting to a proper flow, too much thinking, we'll see on Saturday, and beyond, how it goes

-still excited about this game

Ford said on the podcast with Danny Mac yesterday that he has about half of his offense packages implemented this year as he did at this time last year and does plan on cutting some out to improve the flow.