Travis Ford On 590

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it laughable that Mizzou and their media fanboys have made the argument about how nice Mizzou was in letting the kid transfer to NC State and become eligible this first semester. He's only gaining a handful of games at the start of this season and still had to sit out the entire second semester last year. He was not immediately eligible like they're asking for with their incoming transfers. 

There are already an abundance of transfers every year, why make it even easier? Clearly the one-year sit rule has not prevented a lot of kids from transferring. Besides, an extra year of a free education is not a big "punishment" for changing schools. I don't feel sorry for the players on this one.

Agreed, it shouldn't be on Evansville, but rather the NCAA which I think was Ford's point when he was on with Frank. Instead nobody really knows what is going on and Evansville is for some reason seen as a bad guy for a rule the NCAA has, but now is not overly enforcing via approving these waivers. Regardless, Evansville shouldn't have to explain their actions. If local media want to go after anyone it should be the NCAA for allowing this sudden ambiguity to the rule. All of these kids transferred with the understanding that they would have to sit out for a year.

I saw Frank did a story calling out Evansville as well. Again, I don't see why Evansville is somehow a bad guy in this.

Billikid likes this

14 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Here is the response from Evansville.  Makes sense to me.  Why lie for another program?

Jeez the Mizzou twitter-brigade is out in full force in the replies........did they even read the statement?

"Still a terrible look for Evansville."

"@MDSpencerAD so you're going to punish a 20 year old because you are butthurt that he sought out other opportunities after his coach was fired. Seems reasonable. Old white dudes in suits, I tell ya. (sorry for jumping in your replies Bethany)"  

"Kids should always come first. Now UE has a bad name. Nice job."

17 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Here is the response from Evansville.  Makes sense to me.  Why lie for another program?

That is a great response. Mizzou had one of their fanboy columnists write something that tries to make the kid look like a victim and make Evansville appear to be the bad guys. Glad Evansville pushed back.

46 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I can see this line of thinking, very easily,  especially coming from an Evansville (or SLU although in that interview CFord indicated he would and has released players in this situation) where a Power5 has their former player

-I looked to see who the coach of Evansville is, Walter McCarty, played at UK and in the NBA and was a Brad Stevens assistant before current job, speaking of assistants they have Todd Lickliter who left Butler to coach Iowa on staff

Also, there are rumors Poach Martin was talking to the kid early. 

Just now, Franchise_08 said:

How great would it be if NCAA looks into it more because of BenFreds column and find out Mizzou tampered and they get hit? 

As @ACE said, I don't get the "punishment" aspect of it.  Kid will get a year of practicing and working out with his new team and if he takes advantage of it, may be able to get a masters for free.  It's not like the kids life is ruined because he has to sit out a year.  Sure it sucks he can't play this year but it may make him even better his final couple years.  Hundreds of kids do it each year, they all survive.  

1 minute ago, Franchise_08 said:

I assume it would be Mizzou's assistant coach who came from Evansville. It ultimately comes down to the NCAA deciding whether they are going to get rid of the transfer rule or at least in certain situations (a coaching change in this case). Somehow Evansville is the bad guy by playing by the actual rules. But they aren't really the rules....then change them.

Replying to @bmiller14news

Go along with our lie, or our delusional fans will call you petty. Good grief. Mizzou's less than stellar reputation isn't getting any better.

Even basset hounds know how delusional Mizzou fans are

brianstl and Littlebill like this

Just so I understand, is the position that Evansville should essentially lie? If a coaching change constitutes a hardship then the NCAA should rule as much, Evansville should not have to essentially sign off on something that isn't accurate from their point of view.

One thing that I found interesting from that statement was the run-off standard, had anyone heard of that? It is obvious that almost all programs do this (and honestly it is typically in the best interest of both the player and program), but I had no idea it was an actual rule.

38 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I assume it would be Mizzou's assistant coach who came from Evansville. It ultimately comes down to the NCAA deciding whether they are going to get rid of the transfer rule or at least in certain situations (a coaching change in this case). Somehow Evansville is the bad guy by playing by the actual rules. But they aren't really the rules....then change them.

The assistant would not have done any contact without Martin telling him to do so because what good would it do to get the kid to agree to come but the head coach says no.  

28 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Just so I understand, is the position that Evansville should essentially lie? If a coaching change constitutes a hardship then the NCAA should rule as much, Evansville should not have to essentially sign off on something that isn't accurate form their point of view.

One thing that I found interesting from that statement was the run-off standard, had anyone heard of that? It is obvious that almost all programs do this (and honestly it is typically in the best interest of both the player and program), but I had no idea it was an actual rule.

I believe former Billiken Jared Drew was a victim of the run off rule under Crews.

A lot of respect for Evansville!  Smack down the bully.

You can certainly read of the possibility of tampering into the timeline.  Way to go Coach Integrity.

The good news for Dru is that he can sit a year, play a year, and then grad transfer out of the cesspool.

36 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Just so I understand, is the position that Evansville should essentially lie? If a coaching change constitutes a hardship then the NCAA should rule as much, Evansville should not have to essentially sign off on something that isn't accurate form their point of view.

I have this same question. I can't tell if it's a rule or a sort of gentlemen's agreement. In this case, it's clear that Dru Smith was using the coaching change as a chance to move up a level or two, but that Evansville wanted him to stay all along. Evansville has no reason to pretend they ran him off when they have two incoming players who have to sit - who, by the way, no one is advocating for publicly like they are for Mizzou's new player. It's yet another way power conference schools bully their way into getting everything they want.

The NCAA is such a farce at this point. I'm glad public perception has mostly caught up with that fact. It's a shame Evansville is getting attacked here because it ends up being a lose-lose situation for them. In the end, the NCAA needs to be clear about whether this rule is going to change or not instead of just granting more waivers than ususal, but not waivers for all.

Zink, rgbilliken, SLU_Lax and 1 other like this

Question on this whole situation: Did the crying by Mizzou fans, journalists, etc. start after Jontay tore his knee and they realized they weren't going to be very good or were they whining about this entire process being unfair before he went down? I don't pay much attention to Mizzou sports but it appears this all started post-Jontay knee injury.

Edit: it looks like Mizzou first reached out to EU a few weeks before Jontay's injury and were denied by EU. Mizzou reached out again following Porter's injury and were once again denied by EU.

3 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Hate to say it, but we are in Evansville side here. What if JG has a great season a good BIG10 school (not Illinois) comes calling. He could leave and not have to sit out. The writing is on the wall, SLU needs to get to the Big East NOW or we will be poached. 

This is not so.

5 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Hate to say it, but we are in Evansville side here. What if JG has a great season a good BIG10 school (not Illinois) comes calling. He could leave and not have to sit out. The writing is on the wall, SLU needs to get to the Big East NOW or we will be poached. 

Goodwin already picked us over good P5 programs and that is the case for several of the recruits signed by Ford 

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

The responses to that tweet are wild, man. The Tigerboard yahoos are seriously the scum of the earth

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The mizzou fans replying to that tweet are something.

It’s incredible. 

Did they not read the response?

Here is how I read it:

1. Our guy transferred to UM.

2. UM asked us to lie about why he transferred. We told them we wouldn’t lie for them.

3. UM asked us to lie....again. We told them no....again.

4. If they would have been honest we would have helped in getting the waiver.

Am I missing anything here?

Anybody going to ask BenFred about this? 

I like BenFred but if he doesn’t write some type of retraction or follow up I’ll lose a lot of respect for him.

27 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It’s incredible. 

Did they not read the response?

Here is how I read it:

1. Our guy transferred to UM.

2. UM asked us to lie about why he transferred. We told them we wouldn’t lie for them.

3. UM asked us to lie....again. We told them no....again.

4. If they would have been honest we would have helped in getting the waiver.

Am I missing anything here?

Anybody going to ask BenFred about this? 

I like BenFred but if he doesn’t write some type of retraction or follow up I’ll lose a lot of respect for him.

5.  We really don't care about your two transfers, who are sitting out per NCAA transfer rules.