Travis Ford On 590

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a few interesting, rather direct, statements from Ford.

First, he said they played against Quincy better than they have been practicing.  (My guess is that practices are harder than the effort Quincy put up.)

He labeled Isabell as a shooter and scorer.  He said Wiley is a shooter.  He said this in the same sentence.

When asked by Frank if Gordon was ready for 30 to 35 minutes, Coach said no.  He has to get into better shape and has to get a better concept of the offensive and defensive schemes.

Talking about Ingvi, he said Ingvi was behind.  Not being here this summer hurt him.  The game is a little to fast for him and he isn't physical enough.  He said Ingvi got into the second half at the 12 minute mark and 'that is where he is at'.

Coach said the team went from one of the deepest, most physical front courts in the nation, to one that isn't.  He said when KC is ready to practice (remember this was a morning interview) he would be the 4th big.  Right now Bess is the 4th big.

And finally the big taboo discussion.  Frank spent the last 15 to 20% of the interview talking about Missouri, Porter's injury, M. Smith being eligible, and D. Smith not.  MY OH MY.  All you Missouri  bashers, load up on Frank just like you did on the PD writers spending time on Mizzou.  [Okay 05 I'm betting you give the first Troll Reaction, either you TGloryTDays1985 or LittleBill.] 

15 minutes ago, almaman said:

MU talk started by asking about his son.

But did it end there, no.  Instead of talking about Thatch, he talked about M. Smith.  Instead of talking about Foreman, he talked about Porter.  Instead of talking about Wiley's ankle, he talked about D. Smith.   BASH THE TROLL!

I personally have no problem with Frank, nor the PD.  Others do.  Let the stone throwing begin.

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

But did it end there, no.  Instead of talking about Thatch, he talked about M. Smith.  Instead of talking about Foreman, he talked about Porter.  Instead of talking about Wiley's ankle, he talked about D. Smith.   BASH THE TROLL!

I personally have no problem with Frank, nor the PD.  Others do.  Let the stone throwing begin.

Frank is a local sportscaster that does a few minute segment on sports highlights and then talks about them on the radio.  He can be a fan of all the local teams which he is and doesn't try to hide.  PD columnists and beat writers claim to not be fans so they can cover the teams without attachments.  That is the thing that bugs me, they went to Mizzou, will claim they aren't Mizzou fans anymore since they cover the team and yet manage to get Mizzou references into all SLU articles.  And mainly it is Hochman, his fandom for Mizzou is too much for me. 

Edit: To add on to the difference, since Hargrove committed, I've seen one interview of him by local reporters and that was Frank. He is a homer but only local guy that covers team year round. Big fan of that. 

Matty Light likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I found a few interesting, rather direct, statements from Ford.

First, he said they played against Quincy better than they have been practicing.  (My guess is that practices are harder than the effort Quincy put up.)

He labeled Isabell as a shooter and scorer.  He said Wiley is a shooter.  He said this in the same sentence.

When asked by Frank if Gordon was ready for 30 to 35 minutes, Coach said no.  He has to get into better shape and has to get a better concept of the offensive and defensive schemes.

Talking about Ingvi, he said Ingvi was behind.  Not being here this summer hurt him.  The game is a little to fast for him and he isn't physical enough.  He said Ingvi got into the second half at the 12 minute mark and 'that is where he is at'.

Coach said the team went from one of the deepest, most physical front courts in the nation, to one that isn't.  He said when KC is ready to practice (remember this was a morning interview) he would be the 4th big.  Right now Bess is the 4th big.

And finally the big taboo discussion.  Frank spent the last 15 to 20% of the interview talking about Missouri, Porter's injury, M. Smith being eligible, and D. Smith not.  MY OH MY.  All you Missouri  bashers, load up on Frank just like you did on the PD writers spending time on Mizzou.  [Okay 05 I'm betting you give the first Troll Reaction, either you TGloryTDays1985 or LittleBill.] 

I only do bad reactions 🤷🏻‍♂️ , only to those that deserve it... 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

It gets old, man. You’re so brave standing up to these people on the internet and being the hero we all need. Thank you for your service.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just FYI, Mizzou has two M. Smiths: Mitchell and Mark.  Yes, I know you're taking about Mark.

Interesting side comment on Frank's conversation with Ford about Dru Smith not being allowed by Evansville to play for Missouri, the Purple Aces have two players sitting out this season in conformance with the NCAA transfer rule.  Perhaps if Coach Integrity would visit his friends at "Hey NCAA, Look the Other Way", he could get two Aces eligible in a trade for Smith.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting side comment on Frank's conversation with Ford about Dru Smith not being allowed by Evansville to play for Missouri, the Purple Aces have two players sitting out this season in conformance with the NCAA transfer rule.  Perhaps if Coach Integrity would visit his friends at "Hey NCAA, Look the Other Way", he could get two Aces eligible in a trade for Smith.

Interesting point - perhaps Evansville is simply saying what is good for he goose is good for the gander.  If they have to wait for two to play then why should Missouri expect to be treated better.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford said he didn't mind kids getting the waiver, but a lot of coaches including himself can't figure out why some kids are becoming eligible, while others aren't. It's completely random.

I have no idea why they don't simply enforce the sit out a year rule.

billikenbill and cheeseman like this

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Interesting point - perhaps Evansville is simply saying what is good for he goose is good for the gander.  If they have to wait for two to play then why should Missouri expect to be treated better.

-I can see this line of thinking, very easily,  especially coming from an Evansville (or SLU although in that interview CFord indicated he would and has released players in this situation) where a Power5 has their former player

-I looked to see who the coach of Evansville is, Walter McCarty, played at UK and in the NBA and was a Brad Stevens assistant before current job, speaking of assistants they have Todd Lickliter who left Butler to coach Iowa on staff

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Ford said he didn't mind kinds getting the waiver, but a lot of coaches including himself can't figure out why some kids are becoming eligible, while others aren't. It's completely random.

-yep, I also wonder this and would love to see how many waivers are granted to Power5 players versus the rest of the leagues

cheeseman likes this

16 minutes ago, ACE said:

Ford said he didn't mind kinds getting the waiver, but a lot of coaches including himself can't figure out why some kids are becoming eligible, while others aren't. It's completely random.

The NCAA likes the good publicity.

52 minutes ago, ACE said:

Or remove the rule entirely. I’d be fine either way.

The only thing I don’t want is what the NCAA has given us, different rules for different people.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I did a little more research, and oh my, this gets better.  One player sitting out at Eville is Sam Cunliffe, who transferred from Kansas.  Ha, Coach Integrity, go to your good buddy Bill Self and tell him to give Eville a break.  The other is from Coastal Carolina.

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The only thing I don’t want is what the NCAA has given us, different rules for different people.

The NCAA has always treated programs differently. That' s how a SLU gets hit for illegally practicing free throws and North Carolina skated for massive fraud creating bogus classes. 

16 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It sounds like that is coming in the near future, so these waivers and the NCAA granting most of them is kind of a move in that direction. I think all of this is in response to the grad transfer rule which has become a farce. It is certainly weird seeing which kids are getting waivers and which are not though, certainly doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason for it beyond whether the program a kid is transferring from is ok with it.

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

It sounds like that is coming in the near future, so these waivers and the NCAA granting most of them is kind of a move in that direction. I think all of this is in response to the grad transfer rule which has become a farce. It is certainly weird seeing which kids are getting waivers and which are not though, certainly doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason for it beyond whether the program a kid is transferring from is ok with it.

Sounds like E'Ville thinks Mizzou tampered