GDT #Hawktober

Littlebill

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isabell is a man.   Not much doubt who will have the ball and take last shots.   I knew he'd be good but he is really good.  He could play for anybody.

NextYearBill likes this

Came back from the game, not well attended, more than 1/2 empty. Student section about 20% full, band about 30%, 2 tubas. Still it was a nice game.

First and foremost Quincy was not a bad team, despite the fact that we won by 43 pts. They had 17 kids in uniform and changed them frequently, no tired kids playing for them. They were aggressive and improved towards the second half, but they just could not get over our defense. 

We only had 8 kids playing plus 2 walk-ons. Welmer was sidelined with a boot. Jacobs and Hankton could not play today. These were my impressions of those who played.

Isabell is very good, he is relatively small but quick and can make very fast passes. He can penetrate to the net and is good with assists (7). I did not notice any evidence he was having any problems with his hamstrings during play.

Bess was as good as expected, fast and capable. 3 steals.

Foreman did not seem to be playing as smoothly as I have seen him play last year. Scored 7.

French is a formidable presence under the basket, surprisingly he did not score much (missed a lot, including FTs). 5  rebounds, 1 steal.

Goodwin appeared to be somewhat tentative in the first half, he found his rhythm in the second half. Scored 10, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 assists. I do not know if his nose protective mask was bothering him or felt different to him or what was going on with him.

Gordon did fine, again he started somewhat tentative in the first half and found his rhythm in the second half. Scored 14, 9 rebounds, 4 assists.

Wiley, moved fluidly with no evidence of his foot limiting him, while he played. Did score a very nice 3 pointer, 3 assists, 2 steals. Nice.

Thatch, very nice and fluid player with good penetration to the basket. I think he will be great.

Gudmundsson, shot a 3 pointer. I really did not expect much from him but he showed he is capable to bring the ball in and play a good supporting role.

The next two are the walk ons who played little.

Raboin played close to 4 minutes and managed to do 1 block.

Courtney was, to me, surprisingly good for a walk on. Could bring the ball in, play decently under the basket, managed one 3 pointer, 2 rebounds and 1steal. Not bad for a walk on who played close to 3 minutes.

This was an exhibition game and despite the fact that Quincy was trying to play an aggressive game, unsuccessfully, they cannot be compared to the opponents we will be facing this year. Still, the team played both a very physical and very aggressive style and appeared to play reasonably well together. We did not look like a team playing with 8 players, never got into foul trouble and absolutely steamrolled over Quincy. Final score 85 to 42. It was a nice game to watch.

Billikid likes this

-saw some good things, I don't think there has been a SLU team more athletic, we'll see if that can translate to playing winning basketball

-three trouble spots for this game, we outrebounded Quincy by 6, this was Quincy, ft shooting not much improved for one game at 11-19 and hopefully whatever with DW is not serious

-exhibition game, let's see where we go from here, bring on the Rivermen, I mean Tritons

almaman likes this

Goodwin was not the Goodwin from last year in my opinion, looks like he lost too much weight.

Did not recognise(sp?) him at the start of the game, he looked much better the second half.

10 minutes ago, bills10 said:

Do I remember last year Goodwin took a long time in the beginning of the season to get going? Took several games for him to make his first basket? I think that compared to the Goodwin from last year we are actually way ahead of schedule!

Uh no. He had 19 and 10 in his second game against a D1 opponent, Va Tech. 

15 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Uh no. He had 19 and 10 in his second game against a D1 opponent, Va Tech. 

Whoah tiger. I cannot find the box scores for exhibitions and Rockhurst (does this game count?) from last year, but the Seattle game he laid a goose egg and I’m fairly certain that was the case in the other box scores I can’t find as well. The narrative on here and in the post was that there was a lid on the basket for him. This all changed when playing VT on a neutral court, which was the third game of the season. Thanks for motivating me to check into it!

32 minutes ago, bills10 said:

Whoah tiger. I cannot find the box scores for exhibitions and Rockhurst (does this game count?) from last year, but the Seattle game he laid a goose egg and I’m fairly certain that was the case in the other box scores I can’t find as well. The narrative on here and in the post was that there was a lid on the basket for him. This all changed when playing VT on a neutral court, which was the third game of the season. Thanks for motivating me to check into it!

Wasn’t it just 3pters?