Hochman: SLU's Goodwin praised by Claggett and Hughes

19 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’ve always liked his content.

I don’t like is his constant 90’s pop culture references in an attempt to be funny.

I think he has gotten better with that though. At first, his articles were nothing but Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Full House gags but it seems he has gotten away from that.

I’m still not completely sold on him as a writer but he puts in the effort and seems to be improving.

as for this article, I wasn’t thrilled about the Mizzou references but I won’t let it get my panties in a bunch. Overall it was a good piece.

did someone say Full House? 

Jodie-sweetin.jpg

dlarry and TheDude like this

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, willie said:

Did Hochman need to bring up  Missouri in the article? NO. But he does seem to be taking a real interest in our program. Don't ***** too much. 

Yes he did because he called JG the best player in MO so he had to say what happened to Porter who clearly would have been the odds on favorite for that title until the injury.  Not saying he would have lived up to it just that was were he was pegged. As far as the other players named, he simply highlighted local talent.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes he did because he called JG the best player in MO so he had to say what happened to Porter who clearly would have been the odds on favorite for that title until the injury.  Not saying he would have lived up to it just that was were he was pegged.

i dont think porter is better than either french or gordon let alone goodwin.   he wouldnt even start for the billikens.

TheA_Bomb likes this

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I understand your hatred for the Missouri Tigers, but don't be silly!

so who you gonna bench to play the overated porter?   french or gordon?  obviously none of the three play a guard spot.   

just because the guy mistakenly tried to go to the draft doesnt make him better.  

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

I don’t like is his constant 90’s pop culture references in an attempt to be funny.

Hochman is okay.  There are certain kinds of articles he does well with and outside of those, he struggles.  However, he really is stuck in the 90s.  Most of his Billiken articles reference the 90s as well (Clags, Spoon, Hughes, etc.)

ii like the way you are all stepping up (not) to bench either french or gordon for this mythical combined team.   

AGB91 and HenryB like this

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so who you gonna bench to play the overated porter?   french or gordon?  obviously none of the three play a guard spot.   

just because the guy mistakenly tried to go to the draft doesnt make him better.  

Either one. 

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ii like the way you are all stepping up (not) to bench either french or gordon for this mythical combined team.   

Well, one of them was likely going to come off of the bench w/Santos on the team (I’m guessing Gordon).  So, I’m thinking it’s highly probable the same would happen if we had a healthy Porter. 

if You take both teams and choose the 5 best players, it would be like this:

1. Jontay

2. Goodwin

3. French

4. Bess

5. Tilmon or Gordon 

Mizzou has the best player (Jontay would’ve been a lottery pick this year), but SLU has the best overall team

wgstl, almaman and Brighton like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I can get down with this. Gordon more versatile, French would snap him like a twig cause he's part werewolf. 

billiken_roy likes this

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

So the part in question is in bold here:

He’s the top player on the top team in the conference, a St. Louis U. Billiken from the St. Louis area. SLU, if you haven’t heard, was picked to win the Atlantic 10 Conference, and its sophomore from Centreville is the center of attention, even though Goodwin plays in the backcourt. With an asterisk, he’s the best basketball player in the state — Mizzou’s Jontay Porter isn’t playing this season after a bad knee injury.

And Goodwin has exemplified this renaissance of area talent actually staying in the area. Freshman teammate Carte’Are Gordon was also a top-100 player coming out of Webster Groves High School. Over at Mizzou, top-100 center Jeremiah Tilmon might make me eat my words about Goodwin, and the former East St. Louis player is teammates with the talented freshman from Whitfield, Torrence Watson. Oh, speaking of Whitfield stars and Mizzou, Aijha Blackwell announced Monday night that she’ll play for the Tigers next season — according to espnW, she’s the No. 8 high school senior in the nation.

The first time I read it, I'll also admit to being like, "WTF, why is he talking about Mizzou here?" But after reading again, he is tying a trend together, that more STL-area players are staying in state to go to SLU and Mizzou, and he does talk about Gordon before Tilmon, Watson, and Blackwell. And while I think he'd be better served talking about the HS seniors about to go to SLU - Collins and Hargrove - I still get that this point is probably geared toward your more general STL sports fan and not just us hardcore SLU fans. It's probably interesting to them that all these local kids are suddenly staying home to go to these two programs. I'd have to read through a lot of Mizzou articles to see whether he's doing the same thing when talking about Watson or Tilmon - I can't imagine him being mid-piece on one or both of those guys and including the same paragraph, but in reverse - but I don't feel like doing that research.

Anyway, we've been screaming for years that we don't get enough coverage and we've gotten a bunch lately. It's not perfect but it's progress. Because we all know deep down this is based on clicks for them and Mizzou gets a lot more than we do. Numbers are numbers. Don't take it all too personally. Start winning and we'll see more.

Pistol, you're correct on this. But the lack of balance still irritates.

In fairness, we do have to give the Post credit for the big increase in coverage - and heck, the season hasn't even started. I'm usually among the Post's harshest critics on this topic. Now hardly 3 days go by and there's a new story. Thank you, P-D. Much of this is really our own doing; finally, SLU has given them a reason to cover us.

Here's what I look forward to: there will come a time in the near future when the tables will significantly turn, and SLU will be the program to watch, the program to cover. The P-D will have stories every day or two. Already signs of this are appearing... a shift in the balance of power has begun. We know that this year, nothing of significance will be happening in CoMo, particularly after Porter's injury. But regardless, there is tremendous momentum building for our program - as we know. Coach Ford has worked his tail off, this roster is the best in my lifetime, and our building is one of the finest. I've said this before and I'll say it again: there's no reason why SLU can't be the Gonzaga of the midwest. No reason why the current roster can't get even better in the years to come. No reason the tables won't turn -- on an ongoing basis. The team now just has to put it together. And there's 3million people in the market with no NBA or NFL team -- just waiting to jump on the bandwagon.

And when that happens, we won't have to argue about whether a columnist takes a paragraph detour to Columbia. From the perch where we'll be sitting, we'll yawn.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

I take Gordon or French over Jontay. He was bad in combines over the summer. He is not a NBA lottery pick. As soon as NBA scouts saw him up close they told him to stay in school.

Spurs told him they would draft him st the 18th spot. That’s 4 picks away from the lottery. One more year and he would be top 14 in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Spurs told him they would draft him st the 18th spot. That’s 4 picks away from the lottery. One more year and he would be top 14 in my opinion. 

Uh no they did not. If he was in the first round he would have stayed in the draft.

SLU_Lax likes this

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I understand your hatred for the Missouri Tigers, but don't be silly!

Just Roy’s opinion it is only silly to some not all.  I like the Billikens starting front court of Bess, Gordon, and French so I agree with Roy.  Porter is not starting over any of those guys.  Porter is not Tatum and is not NBA ready.

Lets get the season started.