2018-2019 #25 Rankings

philliken

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

While getting rebounds is always an important factor in winning, against Butler we sure as hell better defend the perimeter and stop the dribble drive penetration. Not sure their PG is much of a dribble drive guy. But against Pitt and C.Ark their PG's had their way with us on dashes to the hoops. We didn't seem to have an answer for them.

Thompson, Butler's PG, is not a major threat to penetrate.  But Baldwin is.  You can call him PG or SG, it doesn't matter.  To me, the defense on Baldwin will go a long way in dictating the outcome of the game.  And remember, one of our bigs likely will be out of the lane guarding McDermott.  We also have to stay true on defense for Jorgensen, a second 44% three point shooter.   This boils down to some interesting defense.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Thompson, Butler's PG, is not a major threat to penetrate.  But Baldwin is.  You can call him PG or SG, it doesn't matter.  To me, the defense on Baldwin will go a long way in dictating the outcome of the game.  And remember, one of our bigs likely will be out of the lane guarding McDermott.  We also have to stay true on defense for Jorgensen, a second 44% three point shooter.   This boils down to some interesting defense.

I'd hate to see this game become us trying to match them if they've got a hot hand from 3 territory. We have to count on our D and rebounding to win this game, which is not an unusual situation for us.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I'd hate to see this game become us trying to match them if they've got a hot hand from 3 territory. We have to count on our D and rebounding to win this game, which is not an unusual situation for us.

I agree with you on making them matching up with us, but as you pointed out,

against Pitt and C.Ark their PG's had their way with us on dashes to the hoops. We didn't seem to have an answer for them

Baldwin is a much more adept ball handler and shooter than either of those two.  Even though he is not listed as a PG, he will have the ball in his hands more than Thompson.

Interesting week.  Things to note:
Florida St is now top-10.  Would love them to be there or higher when we play them.
Houston moved into the rankings at #24.  Another chance to knock off a ranked opponent.
Butler receiving 2 votes.
Davidson receving 1.
Seton Hall also gets 1.

AP Top 25

RK
TEAM
REC
PTS
TREND

KansasKansas(57)
8-0

DukeDuke(4)
9-1

7-1

GonzagaGonzaga(1)
9-1

10-0
-

9-0

10-0

8-1
-

8-2

8-1

8-0

7-2

8-1

9-0

8-1

8-2

8-2

8-1

7-2

7-1
-

8-2

7-2

10-0

8-0

8-2

7-2

6-2

Others receiving votes: Nebraska 115, Maryland 105, Oklahoma 82, Cincinnati 73, St. John's 57, Purdue 40, NC State 26, Iowa State 19, TCU 13, San Francisco 5, UCLA 3, Minnesota 2, Butler 2, NJIT 1, Seton Hall 1, Davidson 1, Florida 1, Texas 1

A win at Carbondale would have gotten SLU some votes oh so close beat Houston that has only beaten one good team and were there.

2 hours ago, philliken said:

Florida St is now top-10.  Would love them to be there or higher when we play them.

FSU plays SEMO and North Florida before our matchup with them.  Very unlikely that they lose either of those games and teams typically don't move down in the rankings if they continue winning.  Therefore, it is a good bet that FSU will be #10 or higher when we play them.

Edit: that SEMO game isn't until next Monday (weird schedule I guess because of finals), so Florida State actually will not play any games before the next rankings come out which will be the last set of rankings before we play them.  I think you can pretty much lock them into the #10 spot or higher when we play unless something crazy happens.