2018-2019 #25 Rankings

philliken

Figured I'd start a new topic on this for the season.  We can use this for weekly updates.

The Pre-season rankings came out.  Obviously we didn't expect to see the Bills in the top 25, or even to receive votes.  What is interesting though is Davidson received one vote.  Mizzou received one as well.  I'm guessing (hoping) by end of non-conference season we're either ranked or high in the 'receiving votes' category.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

AP Top 25
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Kansas (37) 0-0 1,581
2 Kentucky (19) 0-0 1,529
3 Gonzaga (1) 0-0 1,461
4 Duke (4) 0-0 1,452
5 Virginia (2) 0-0 1,286
6 Tennessee (1) 0-0 1,268
7 Nevada 0-0 1,230
8 North Carolina 0-0 1,221
9 Villanova (1) 0-0 1,085
10 Michigan St 0-0 1,024
11 Auburn 0-0 974
12 Kansas St 0-0 922
13 West Virginia 0-0 678
14 Oregon 0-0 638
15 Virginia Tech 0-0 630
16 Syracuse 0-0 620
17 Florida St 0-0 530
18 Mississippi St 0-0 451
19 Michigan 0-0 437
20 TCU 0-0 311
21 UCLA 0-0 297
22 Clemson 0-0 268
23 LSU 0-0 187
24 Purdue 0-0 170
25 Washington 0-0 165
  • Others receiving votes: Loyola (Chi) 162, Marquette 124, Indiana 98, Florida 71, Nebraska 35, Maryland 28, Wisconsin 24, Notre Dame 22, Cincinnati 21, Alabama 15, UCF 15, Buffalo 14, Arizona 14, Louisville 11, Miami 10, San Diego St 9, USC 6, Butler 6, Texas Tech 6, Texas 5, Arizona St 3, St. John's 3, Providence 2, Xavier 2, Missouri 1, NC State 1, Marshall 1, Davidson 1

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have never understood the obsession with rankings.   i know it is neat to see our name on the list, but the rankings mean nothing towards ncaa births and seeds.  and we all know beyond the big 5 conferences, they treat the rest of D1 as step children.  

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i have never understood the obsession with rankings.   i know it is neat to see our name on the list, but the rankings mean nothing towards ncaa births and seeds.  and we all know beyond the big 5 conferences, they treat the rest of D1 as step children.  

While rankings may or may not help come tourney selection time, rankings mean national publicity. National publicity increases program stature.  Increased stature leads to more positive things (recruiting, branding, future nationally televised games, pre/early season tourney invites in the following year, etc.). 

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

We need national "pub" to get the New York Times to write the "what's a Billiken" story that will get that 5 star point guard from Brooklyn to take us seriously.....or something to that effect.....

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

We need national "pub" to get the New York Times to write the "what's a Billiken" story that will get that 5 star point guard from Brooklyn to take us seriously.....or something to that effect.....

You are assuming the 5 star point guard knows how to read. It better be on YouTube. 

TaLBErt likes this

But the national press and coaches will always only give the big 5 conferences the just treatment so it doesn't really matter.   The polls will never help us.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

if nothing else... it shows our scores on the Bottom line of major sports news outlets... gets our name out there more

dennis_w likes this

55 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

if nothing else... it shows our scores on the Bottom line of major sports news outlets... gets our name out there more

this assumes that we are IN the top 25.   i contend it is all but impossible or by the time they give us just deserves it is well past time due.  

3 hours ago, SShoe said:

To the average fan, rankings mean everything.  

Agree but it means something to bigger fans too.

For example if Iowa State is playing Washington State on a Thursday in November I don’t give much thought of watching it. However, if Iowa State has a 10 by their name and Washington State a 12 there is a good chance I’m watching from start to finish. 

I would bet it also means a lot to the players on ranked teams too.

26 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This thread is lame and Uncle Philliken is lame.

At first I was like, 'WTH did I do to YOU Abomb?'  Then I saw the duplicate thread and got the joke.  BTW, solid reference to The Jerk.  I still hate those cans though.

• philliken changed the title to 2018-2019 #25 Rankings
38 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Agree but it means something to bigger fans too.

For example if Iowa Sta  te is playing Washington State on a Thursday in November I don’t give much thought of watching it. However, if Iowa State has a 10 by their name and Washington State a 12 their is a good chance I’m watching from start to finish. 

I would bet it also means a lot to the players on ranked teams too.

well said same for CFB used tour metric 5 or 6 times this weekend. CFB now sort of unwatchable due to Alabama's dominance. So when there are six games to choose from one's with ranked teams seem more important than one's without.

Even as lame as ranking are they do become important when picking who makes the dance in CBB and who makes the still not good enough imo 4 playoff spots in CFB.

Big 12 is tough this year top to bottom.   UT picked to finish 4th by coaches not ranked among the 4 B12 teams in the poll.

What week will SLU be ranked?  26 November is my pick. 

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Big 12 is tough this year top to bottom.   UT picked to finish 4th by coaches not ranked among the 4 B12 teams in the poll.

What week will SLU be ranked?  26 November is my pick. 

Christmas Eve

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-1-353-from-kansas-to-no-353-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

SLU at 50 in the CBS rankings. 1 spot behind St Joes (why?) and 3 ahead of mizzou (accounting for the Porter injury)

6 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Relative to our schedule:

19. Florida State

40. Houston

49. St. Joe's

50. SLU

55. Seton Hall

68. Davidson

74. Butler

77. Oregon State

97. SIUC

115. George Mason

134. Rhode Island

140. Dayton

150. Pitt

155. VCU

168. Troy

173. St. Bonaventure

178. UMass

182. Appalachian State

210. Richmond

229. Duquesne

242. SEMO

262. George Washington

270. Central Arkansas

282. La Salle

289. NC Central

300. Fordham

324. North Alabama

Seems low for Butler, SIUC, Mason, Rhody, VCU, and Duquesne. Seems a little high for St. Joe's, Oregon State, and Pitt.

almaman likes this