Jontay Porter Out For The Season

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

IKids need to diversify sports and play other things, not just basketball 24/7.

Agreed. As to the Porters, I have no personal knowledge.  

As to SLU72, I too have no studies and data to attach as a link but I am the father of 2 high school athletes and we have seen our share of physicians over the years, together with some who long conversations I have had with physician friends of mine over several beers, it has been our experience (unlike our kids who played multiple sports) that most kids play only 1 sport; that 1 sport youngsters have initially have a huge advantage of reaching their potential sooner and therefore make the higher or more advanced team when young; that the national agency for nearly all sports write to their player/members about the benefits of playing multiple sports but then the coaches in their sport turn around and reward the 1 sport athletes who specialize with better teams, better coaching, better opportunities, etc.; that for many, they then either stop growing or the competition catches up to them or surpasses them and now they have no other sport to fall back on; that many of the better 1 sport athletes who continue to grow and develop have played so much of that sport and have traveled the country so much playing that sport that they became "burned out" and simply refuse, or choose not, to play that sport anymore in high school; and that physicians are now treating a record number of repetitive injury and overuse injuries.  As a society, I suggest we were better off 25 years ago versus today. 

18 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Agreed. As to the Porters, I have no personal knowledge.  

As to SLU72, I too have no studies and data to attach as a link but I am the father of 2 high school athletes and we have seen our share of physicians over the years, together with some who long conversations I have had with physician friends of mine over several beers, it has been our experience (unlike our kids who played multiple sports) that most kids play only 1 sport; that 1 sport youngsters have initially have a huge advantage of reaching their potential sooner and therefore make the higher or more advanced team when young; that the national agency for nearly all sports write to their player/members about the benefits of playing multiple sports but then the coaches in their sport turn around and reward the 1 sport athletes who specialize with better teams, better coaching, better opportunities, etc.; that for many, they then either stop growing or the competition catches up to them or surpasses them and now they have no other sport to fall back on; that many of the better 1 sport athletes who continue to grow and develop have played so much of that sport and have traveled the country so much playing that sport that they became "burned out" and simply refuse, or choose not, to play that sport anymore in high school; and that physicians are now treating a record number of repetitive injury and overuse injuries.  As a society, I suggest we were better off 25 years ago versus today. 

At the start of this past high school baseball season, the varsity coach said six of his eight pitchers had labrum issues, due to overuse in the offseason.