Jontay Porter Out For The Season

8 hours ago, kshoe said:

Feel bad for Jontay. Seems like a good kid and he passed up on being a likely First rounder for the opportunity to play this season.

itll be interesting to see what he does next year and whether he comes back to mizzou or still declares. My uniformed guess is he’s back at mizzou.

The reason he stayed was that he was being told that he was not going in the first round.  His decision was probably what most would have done.  He did not stay out of some great loyalty.  Sorry to hear that he got so seriously hurt - never wish that kind of bad on people.  I would think he would be back also - he still has to prove his is a first rounder or I guess he could go to the G League and prove himself.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, willie said:

I have no idea what the basis for appealing the Smith's eligibility would be. Ideas?

The NCAA is becoming more and more lenient. 

Also - I am no fan of the Porters, but I don't think it's cool to say "Karma is a *itch" when a 19 yr old may have just lost millions. 

brianstl and TheChosenOne like this

48 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Also - I am no fan of the Porters, but I don't think it's cool to say "Karma is a *itch" when a 19 yr old may have just lost millions. 

Lenient is one thing but ignoring your own rules just because a team suffered a key injury is a bad idea for the NCAA.  Nobody is saying Jontay deserved this - in fact read the thread everyone has said tough break for the kid no one deserves this to happen to them.  The point is it also happened to Martin and that is what people are saying - it has nothing to do with the kid.

from the articled, "Earlier this fall, point guard Jordan Geist said the Tigers have “the best bigs in America.”"

hey Jordan, how can you have the best bigs in America when you dont even have the best bigs in the state of missouri?   to bad mr jordan wont get the opportunity to meet mr french and mr gordon up close.   

i agree with the earlier quote, "karma is a *****".

52 minutes ago, willie said:

The appeal was before his injury. 

I still don't understand, Willie. Why would Mizzery be granted a waiver of the one year sit out rule? I thought that was cast in stone tablets. Elsewise everyone would be doing it. This must be some kind of Poacher's sleight of hand.

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I still don't understand, Willie. Why would Mizzery be granted a waiver of the one year sit out rule? I thought that was cast in stone tablets. Elsewise everyone would be doing it. This must be some kind of Poacher's sleight of hand.

That's my question. What is the basis for the appeal?

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think you can be legitimately sympathetic for the kid, and still take joy watching/reading the groaning miz honks...

TaLBErt and TheA_Bomb like this

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

I think you can be legitimately sympathetic for the kid, and still take joy watching/reading the groaning miz honks...

I think most on here do feel bad for Jontay Porter. No one's taking joy in his misfortune, more like Cuonzo, aka The Poacher, got some payback for his underhanded dealings.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Lenient is one thing but ignoring your own rules just because a team suffered a key injury is a bad idea for the NCAA.  Nobody is saying Jontay deserved this - in fact read the thread everyone has said tough break for the kid no one deserves this to happen to them.  The point is it also happened to Martin and that is what people are saying - it has nothing to do with the kid.

Absolutely.  Maybe you and Chosen should reread my post (directed to Cuonzo and Mizzou fanatics) as well as the other posts.  No ill will directed toward a 19 year old kid.  No one wishes serious and season-ending injury on a young kid.  Then, again, no surprised as reading comprehension on this Board is rather low.

I am just sick of the way Poacher Martin screwed over Romar and others.   Unethical and disgusting.  Then, paying their Dad $1 million to coach?  Then trying to steal CG and others?  I am also sick and disgusted by the actions of their father.

Karma is a b*****

The real concern for Jontay is likely both of his knees - not just the knee which blew out.  The day prior he has been quoted as saying both of his knees had been hurting, that the day prior though he was fine and then he blows out both the ACL and MCL.  Should Jontay have been shut down during preseason to protect his knees?  19 year olds should not be having knee problems.  Growing too fast?  Play too much? Too much stress on a young body?  High school ball is child's play compared to college ball.  Any thoughts on his Dad for having Jontay skip his Senior year of high school to increase the pressures and stresses on a young body?  All so Jontay and Michael can play a year of college together?   Talk about Karma...  another example of the so called adults being selfish and ruining things for their kids.

35 minutes ago, willie said:

That's my question. What is the basis for the appeal?

With Dru Smith, I believe the appeal is due to the coaching change at (you people in) Evansville.  I'm not sure if the NCAA considers that a valid reason to waive the redshirt year. 

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Absolutely.  Maybe you and Chosen should reread my post (directed to Cuonzo and Mizzou fanatics) as well as the other posts.  No ill will directed toward a 19 year old kid.  No one wishes serious and season-ending injury on a young kid.  Then, again, no surprised as reading comprehension on this Board is rather low.

I am just sick of the way Poacher Martin screwed over Romar and others.   Unethical and disgusting.  Then, paying their Dad $1 million to coach?  Then trying to steal CG and others?  I am also sick and disgusted by the actions of their father.

Karma is a b*****

The real concern for Jontay is likely both of his knees - not just the knee which blew out.  The day prior he has been quoted as saying both of his knees had been hurting, that the day prior though he was fine and then he blows out both the ACL and MCL.  Should Jontay have been shut down during preseason to protect his knees?  19 year olds should not be having knee problems.  Growing too fast?  Play too much? Too much stress on a young body?  High school ball is child's play compared to college ball.  Any thoughts on his Dad for having Jontay skip his Senior year of high school to increase the pressures and stresses on a young body?  All so Jontay and Michael can play a year of college together?   Talk about Karma...  another example of the so called adults being selfish and ruining things for their kids.

My post was in response to Rise and Grind - I did not say anything about your post.  I agree reading comprehension is low on the board.

3 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

With Dru Smith, I believe the appeal is due to the coaching change at (you people in) Evansville.  I'm not sure if the NCAA considers that a valid reason to waive the redshirt year. 

Thanks. I know they have let recruits out but not sure about current players. 

Mizzou had a point guard transfer last year in mid January to NC State so he could be closer to his family. The NCAA gave him the waiver to be able to play this season. I’m pretty sure that Mizzou has a chance to get one or both of the Smiths to be able to play this year, especially with the coaching change for Dru

2 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Mizzou had a point guard transfer last year in mid January to NC State so he could be closer to his family. The NCAA gave him the waiver to be able to play this season. I’m pretty sure that Mizzou has a chance to get one or both of the Smiths to be able to play this year, especially with the coaching change for Dru

What is the argument for Mark Smith?  He was being recruited by Groce, but signed with IL after Underwood was hired.  The NCAA can be pretty dumb sometimes, but it is hard to make the "closer to home" argument when Columbia, MO is only 15 mins closer than Champaign, IL to Edwardsville, IL.

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

My post was in response to Rise and Grind - I did not say anything about your post.  I agree reading comprehension is low on the board.

I made my post and you said “nobody...”

and again, reading comprehension is low on the board.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

What is the argument for Mark Smith?  He was being recruited by Groce, but signed with IL after Underwood was hired.  The NCAA can be pretty dumb sometimes, but it is hard to make the "closer to home" argument when Columbia, MO is only 15 mins closer than Champaign, IL to Edwardsville, IL.

Yeah I don’t know about him. I think it is most likely that Mizzou gets Dru but not Mark.

27 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Karma is a b*****

I wonder if all the Porters just have played too much basketball at too young of an age. The daughters have both had ACL tears (which isn't abnormal for girls) but with Michael's bad back and now Jontay and tendinitis in his knees followed by this tear at age 18, it makes you wonder if this is partly related to being trained for the NBA since they were 3 years old. Kids need to diversify sports and play other things, not just basketball 24/7.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I wonder if all the Porters just have played too much basketball at too young of an age. The daughters have both had ACL tears (which isn't abnormal for girls) but with Michael's bad back and now Jontay and tendinitis in his knees followed by this tear at age 18, it makes you wonder if this is partly related to being trained for the NBA since they were 3 years old. Kids need to diversify sports and play other things, not just basketball 24/7.

Aren't they all vegans? This is likely the dumbest theory floated on this board I'm willing to bet.  I have absolutely zero knowledge on the subject matter,  but I am curious how their diets affect their bodies, especially given their sizes and exercise regimens. I'm sure they have dietitians and people monitoring what goes into their bodies but I  also  know it can be hard to consume sufficient quality fats, absorbable vitamins, amino acids, proteins, and minerals on vegan diets.

TheA_Bomb likes this

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Aren't they all vegans? This is likely the dumbest theory floated on this board I'm willing to bet.  I have absolutely zero knowledge on the subject matter,  but I am curious how their diets affect their bodies, especially given their sizes and exercise regimens. I'm sure they have dietitians and people monitoring what goes into their bodies but I  also  know it can be hard to consume sufficient quality fats, absorbable vitamins, amino acids, proteins, and minerals on vegan diets.

Whitey Herzog  said u need to eat meat and drink beer. 

18 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I recall reading an article a few years back about how specializing in one sport at the expense of others wasn't good for a young person's body or his overall athletic skills. The different sports allow for development of different body parts/muscles and this tends to prevent certain injuries. Way back in the day, say up to the 70s a lot of star athletes competed in 2 or 3 sports in HS. Typically it was baseball, football, and basketball. The article I read said because of this it produced a better all around more sturdy athlete. And while I can't back this up with any numbers or research, it does seem today that injuries are more prevalent than "back in the day".