MPG '18-'19 Thoughts, Predictions

almaman

3 weeks from first real game!

I thought there would be many opinions on who would play what % of the 200 minutes available Santos pull out it seems to have taken much of the wind out of that pursuit. I don't see there being much variation from my 5 minute ranking I present here;

1   Goodwin

2   Bess

3   French

4   Gordon

5   Isabell

6   Wiley

7   Foreman

8   Thatch

9   Jacobs

10 Welmer

11 Hankton

12 Gudmundsson

13 Raboin

14 Courtney

6 & 7, 8 & 9, 10 & 11 maybe flipping.

rgbilliken likes this

Looks good to me. Agree, Wellmer might move up the chart if his wheels hold together. I'd think both Bess and Goodwin avg about 32 mpg. French about 30. Gordon gets 25 early as he adjusts to the effort of D1 ball. Isabell around 30. Wiley? depends upon health. Foreman will get low 20s. If Wiley's 6'4", is he more of a backup to Bess or Goodwin? Nice to have this kind of depth. Here's hoping it all pans out and meets our expectations. Last year was tough when basically 6 guys had to average in the 30s every game.

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Based on what Ford has said a couple times recently, wouldn’t be surprising to see a healthy Welmer a few spots higher.

It will be interesting to see if Ford goes with a Top 8, as he has said is his preference, or a Top 9.  As you said, Welmer is likely in there, but with the positive press Ford has given Thatch, he would be in there also.  So that would make 9.

You can also not dismiss a small, 4 guard/wing lineup.  I think we will see that scenario quite a bit.  Pick your fourth small (Wiley, Thatch, Jacobs) and then pick a big to go with them.  

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

It will be interesting to see if Ford goes with a Top 8, as he has said is his preference, or a Top 9.  As you said, Welmer is likely in there, but with the positive press Ford has given Thatch, he would be in there also.  So that would make 9.

I suspect a Top 8, but #'s 7 and 8 may change depending on the opponent.  There might be games where either Thatch or Welmer is more effective depending on the personnel of the opponent. 

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I am hoping that Jacobs gets enough minutes to keep him a Billiken. Not sure what that number is, but he certainly looks like he could be a really solid contributor going forward.

Im sure Ford will tell Jacobs time and time again that there are two seniors,  and a potential early entree ahead of him.   So no long-term wait.

@almamanI know I ride the welmer train often, but I can see him creeping up your list 1 or 2 spot. 

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I am hoping that Jacobs gets enough minutes to keep him a Billiken. Not sure what that number is, but he certainly looks like he could be a really solid contributor going forward.

Well considering we’ll be losing 3 high minute guards in Wiley, Isabel and Bess I don’t think that’ll be an issue 

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I would put Isabel higher as the veteran on the team who is proven.

Gordon lower due to early foul trouble. 

Elliot higher since he has a unique game, we are short on shooters and Santos gone

I would rank Isabel lower. Heard his defensive effort in practice has left something to be desired.

You assuming Gordon will have foul trouble is annoying.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would rank Isabel lower. Heard his defensive effort in practice has left something to be desired.

You assuming Gordon will have foul trouble is annoying.

As much as I don't love agreeing with GloryRavs, I think he's right. I think I may be higher on Isabell than most on this board, but I think he is a level above the rest of this squad in terms of scoring. I think he'll be used as Jett was in his senior year on the Off end. "We need a bucket, Isolate Isabell" In big games, barring major foul trouble, I can't imagine giving a ton minutes outside of our own three headed monster (Isabell, JGood, Bess). 

And as far as Gordon, frosh bigs I think have more of a learning curve at the college level than guards do. You saw it with French last year. It seemed that when French all of a sudden became "the guy" last year, he figured it out and was outstanding. In the beginning of the year, there were dumb fouls. It happens. Its not a knock on Gordon. He'll be fine, just those expecting 32-35+ mins out of him, IMO, will be disappointed. We may get there in the home stretch of the season, but we will see.

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

As much as I don't love agreeing with GloryRavs, I think he's right. I think I may be higher on Isabell than most on this board, but I think he is a level above the rest of this squad in terms of scoring. I think he'll be used as Jett was in his senior year on the Off end. "We need a bucket, Isolate Isabell" In big games, barring major foul trouble, I can't imagine giving a ton minutes outside of our own three headed monster (Isabell, JGood, Bess). 

And as far as Gordon, frosh bigs I think have more of a learning curve at the college level than guards do. You saw it with French last year. It seemed that when French all of a sudden became "the guy" last year, he figured it out and was outstanding. In the beginning of the year, there were dumb fouls. It happens. Its not a knock on Gordon. He'll be fine, just those expecting 32-35+ mins out of him, IMO, will be disappointed. We may get there in the home stretch of the season, but we will see.

We shall see. At least you articulate the point well, which can't be said for the original.

22 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

if isabell is a better option that goodwin for isolation, we got one hell of a team imo.

GBL_Bills, Littlebill and Adman like this

On 10/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, billiken_roy said:

if isabell is a better option that goodwin for isolation, we got one hell of a team imo.

Coach spoke often and openly at his $$$ a plate fundraiser last Thursday.  I was unable to attend, but a good friend sat at his table.  The following quotes are not exact, but one gets the gist:

"Isabell is going to blow the fans' collective mind.  What this guy can do is unbelievable!"

"Thor has been amazing the past two weeks.  He is grasping the college game much more quickly than I expected."

Takeaway: Isabell is going to be a star...and Thor will be better than 12th man off the bench.

SLU_Lax likes this

I am not organizing the mpgs per player in an ordered list, instead I am placing the players in 3 groups:

1. Most MPGs played for the season (not in order of minutes played): Bess, Gordon, Foreman, Goodwin, French, Welmer, Thatch.

2. Fair amount of playing but less than those in the first group: Isabell, Jacobs, Wiley

3. Least number of MPG played for the season: Hankton, Gudmunsson.

4. Minimal amount of play: Raboin, Courtney. 

I agree I may be totally wrong.

Can't wait. not a usual Bill's fan situation where we have a solid as ever before first 8 with 4 others who's ceilings are high enough that they could propel selves into starting line up. Can't wait. to all the where not where we want to be nonsense, what coach this time of year is not saying same thing. None are going to say we really don't need the last two weeks of practice to gel we are now dance ready. Even if true only going to hurt.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I am not organizing the mpgs per player in an ordered list, instead I am placing the players in 3 groups:

1. Most MPGs played for the season (not in order of minutes played): Bess, Gordon, Foreman, Goodwin, French, Welmer, Thatch.

2. Fair amount of playing but less than those in the first group: Isabell, Jacobs, Wiley

3. Least number of MPG played for the season: Hankton, Gudmunsson.

4. Minimal amount of play: Raboin, Courtney. 

I agree I may be totally wrong.

What do you see that puts Thatch and Welmer over a grad transfer who put up more numbers than any billiken in a long time? What is your hold up on Tremaine? 

• 2 months later...

bumping up this at the turn as i lick the last of the blue cool aid off the mirror. Not too surprising we called this rather week. Top 5 correct but not in order, same for 6-8. Elliott never charted so drop him and the rest ended up as called.

So here we are entering conference. It does seem that the OOC schedule was tougher than conference will be. Easier said than done but no team ahead is tougher imo than the 5 hardest ones we've played. Ford said he would of been happy to be 9-4 at this time when season started. I'm more content than I felt possible few weeks back. Bring on the A-10.

HNY to all MBMs.